Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New Year's Challenges

What's Hot

Comments

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4290

I want to complete a Murph crossfit workout...

Run 1 mile

100 pull ups

200 push ups

300 squats

Run 1 mile

In as short a time as possible.

I also want to start training BJJ again.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50 said:

Run 1 mile

100 pull ups

200 push ups

300 squats

Run 1 mile

You forgot to mention the 10kg vest you're supposed to wear during! Ouch. 
    I trained bjj 2 or 3 times a week until recently- it's an amazing workout, but it's looking impossible to continue when I start the new job. 
    CHRISB50 said:

Run 1 mile

100 pull ups

200 push ups

300 squats

Run 1 mile

You forgot to mention the 10kg vest you're supposed to wear during! Ouch. 
    I trained bjj 2 or 3 times a week until recently- it's an amazing workout, but it's looking impossible to continue when I start the new job. 

Haha. Oh yeah I forgot the vest. Nasty isn't it!  

If I'd have continued training BJJ from when I first started I'd be competent by now (he says!).

I first trained BJJ in around 2001-2002. As it was so rare to find classes back then I had to travel a real distance, and could only do it once a week on a Friday night (8pm - 9:30pm). Now there are classes near by, 3-4 times a week at a much nicer time. I'm looking forward to getting tied up in knots again.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• My New Year Challenge is to simply wake up every morning!
    But how would you know if you failed?

• SporkySporky Frets: 27587
    NPP said:
    how do you guys find the time and motivation to do all this? 
    I think (as with many things) if it's important to you then you'll find/make the time. It's jolly hard to make yourself do something you don't want to.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    the_jaffa said:
    Cheers!

I'm 6'4" which is a major help. I also rowed when I was at university but that was more than 15 years ago now. Technique is mostly still there though so I just need to get my fitness up. I've been doing Crossfit since August though and that has helped massively. I managed a 3:23 min 1000m a couple weeks back as part of a workout so know there is more to come. 

Fingers crossed
    Have you tried the Skillrow yet? Our gym has just had a refit and bought 4 of them. At first I thought we’d been cheated out of the industry standard...

Then I used it and thought - it’s ok, comparable at least.

Then I went online and realised they cost three times as much and have been developed to replicate Concept 2’s and more.

https://www.technogym.com/gb/skillrow.html?sfcampid=268940&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8cHh-5K52AIVy7vtCh1nMQSKEAAYASAAEgJRaPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

Juggle 300 throws with three weighted juggling balls:

https://www.oddballs.co.uk/dx-power-ball-large-800g.html

(Make sure you're standing in front of a mattress - these damn things are LOUD if you drop one on the floor!)

• @CHRISB50 @stimpsonslostson ; Is BJJ compatible with being a gigging guitarist? i.e. do your fingers get hurt? I used to do judo and I felt I was taking a risk with people grabbing fingers and such.Probably similar?

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    @CHRISB50 @stimpsonslostson ; Is BJJ compatible with being a gigging guitarist? i.e. do your fingers get hurt? I used to do judo and I felt I was taking a risk with people grabbing fingers and such.Probably similar?

@bluechargeboy it's definitely possible although I've not had too many issues with fingers. I have had more problems with toes breaking (lost count of the number of times it's happened). You can tape up fingers and toes but it's still a risk I guess. 

I think @snakemanStoo rolls as well. Have you have many problems? 

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    Got a set of rollers for Christmas so I plan on spending a lot more time on the bike - lost loads of muscle especially on my legs since our son was born so I'd like to get some of that back!
  • bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1894
    edited January 2018
    Cheers @CHRISB50 I am perhaps overly sensitive to it because I dislocated my left hand ring finger in a jujitsu class, which put paid to guitaring for a while. Edit: although now I think about it, it was a kick wot dun that, not grappling.

I since switched to the safe sport of mountain biking, which so far has only caused a  3-month band hiatus when I broke my collar bone.... D
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    edited January 2018
    I usually intend to do many things each year but life usually gets in the way..

Fitness wise, living in North Wales i used to run up Snowdon for shits and giggles, didn't even go up last year, so that's on the list.
    Also to get back into Skateboarding, my deck has sat in the boot of my car for 2+ years.. also the usual, go running, at least get up to the snowdome a few times for some snowboard shenanigans. 

Hoping I've set my targets low enough that it will be difficult to fail... Sure if i tried i'd manage though

• SporkySporky Frets: 27587
    I have stopped playing silly timewasting games on my 'phone. I am allowing myself to do crosswords on it as they have some positive effect on my brain.

I am also keeping an eye on my booze consumption; I wasn't having too much on any given day but I was having too few gaps between drinky-days.

I am considering doing some better budgeting too, but that's probably too much to take on in one hit.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Sporky said:
    NPP said:
    how do you guys find the time and motivation to do all this? 
    I think (as with many things) if it's important to you then you'll find/make the time. It's jolly hard to make yourself do something you don't want to.
    Exactly. 
    I realised I was wasting hours watching TV or movies, so I made a conscious effort to not watch more than an hour per day. 
    I read, do my yoga or play my guitar instead. 
    I'm sleeping much better since reducing screen time too. 
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1778
    Iamnobody said:
    the_jaffa said:
    Cheers!

I'm 6'4" which is a major help. I also rowed when I was at university but that was more than 15 years ago now. Technique is mostly still there though so I just need to get my fitness up. I've been doing Crossfit since August though and that has helped massively. I managed a 3:23 min 1000m a couple weeks back as part of a workout so know there is more to come. 

Fingers crossed
    Have you tried the Skillrow yet? Our gym has just had a refit and bought 4 of them. At first I thought we’d been cheated out of the industry standard...

Then I used it and thought - it’s ok, comparable at least.

Then I went online and realised they cost three times as much and have been developed to replicate Concept 2’s and more.

https://www.technogym.com/gb/skillrow.html?sfcampid=268940&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8cHh-5K52AIVy7vtCh1nMQSKEAAYASAAEgJRaPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Not seen those, nope. We've got Concept 2s at my gym and a friend has one that he is going to loan me for the training. Looks like the garage is going to become the home of sweat and tears rather than tools soon
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I'm mostly doing what I always do - minus running (boo hoo!) due to osteo arthritis.

So Mon-Fri ! hour in the gym + 30 mins swim before work. Mon-Wed probably 45 mins in the gym at lunch.
    When the wether gets warmer I'll be doing long bike rides as well Sunday mornings.

Also trying to eat less .....
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    edited January 2018
    the_jaffa said:
    I've only one at the moment; I'm entering the British Indoor Rowing Champs later this year and aiming to do a sub 6:30 min 2000 metres. Closer to 6:20 would be great. 

With luck this would get me a top twenty placing in my age category and possibly even a top ten. 

I also want to get my weight down to nearer 17 stone that the current 18 and a bit. 
    That's very good going! my best ever I was around 40 years old, did a 7.10. I think I'd have gone under 7 mins if it hadn't been 7.00am with no warm up, but it would have got me into the UK top 200 for age which I was pleased with.

I did 7.42 a couple of years ago, not too bad at the grand old age of 52 then. I don't like to push too hard any more after Andrew Marr's rowing stroke (there's a joke or two in there).
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15477
    I've got a 5+ cubic meter compost heap that needs turning and spreading, got next years firewood to fell and process. Still got a load of this years that needs logging and splitting, got the orchard to prune and got a fencing job starting in a few weeks that'll all have to be done with no machine access. Then I have the spring digging to start. Not sure I'll have the energy to workout as well.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27346
    All you lot talking about gyms and exercise and stuff.

Pah!

I have a cunning, and just about guaranteed, way of losing the 1stone+ of excess weight that I'm currently carrying everywhere with me.  And it doesn't involve chopping off my right arm or left leg either.

I have bone reconstruction surgery on my upper jaw scheduled for the beginning of next month.  That's going to seriously change my intake of food and alcohol for a good few weeks.  I had similar done on the back of my lower jaws last year, and shifted >1/2 stone each time, and that procedure was relatively minor / straightforward.

I'm not hugely looking forward to February, although I should be a lot lighter by March.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243

@TTony  ;You don't fuck around! Most people just change eating habits and maybe do a little exercise.. Have a wow for fully committing!

All the best matey :)