Replacing a latching switch with a "soft" switch

Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7772

Is there a switch/kit available that I could fit to a couple of my pedals ?

As they're on music stands, the pedals with soft switches are far easier to use.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7765
    Fuzzdog does an optical kit
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7772
    Fuzzdog does an optical kit

Yes, but it's described as having "less clunk" rather than "no clunk".

It might be that that's a better solution if "no clunk" proves very expensive or there's not enough room.
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    I've no idea what they are but the switches on Marshall pedals (the most recent range, Guvnor 2, Reflector,  Jackhammer etc) are soft, might be worth giving them a bell to see if they're available.
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1238
    The fuzz dogs are still using a latching switch similar in proportions to a typical 3PDT, however you could always swap the switch for something not quite so heavy duty.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I really like the Tech 21 'soft' switches.
    No idea where you'd get them unless Tech 21 can supply you with a few. They must have spares.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6127
    tFB Trader
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    ThorpyFX said:
    That’s very good value for money given the cost of the switch and the relay.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630

Hmm? Do they mean no ACOUSTIC  click? If so fine but I have played around a bit with relays in guitar input paths and never got a really silent changeover. Once you buffer the signal, beer into water.

Might just buy one of those and have a do!

Dave.

Yes, the signal-path click will still happen with a relay as well if there’s even the tiniest DC offset or possibly even just a change in load impedance, which is very likely.

I assume the OP is asking about no physical switch click though, for finger operation.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I had a similar requirement a few moths ago. Instead of modifying the pedal itself, I bought a Vein Tap True Bypass Looper (soft click version) and just put the pedal in question in the loop and used the switch as a master on/off. Works a charm. Later I sold it and replaced it with a Boss LS2 for the same use plus extra functionality. 

Maybe a thought...
    The Boss was my first thought as well, but in fact for hand operation on a music stand, the switch action is quite heavy - it’s click-less, but the spring is too powerful for a light finger press. I can’t remember if taking the spring out still works - just using the return spring in the switch itself - I’ll try it later...

• ICBM said:
    The Boss was my first thought as well, but in fact for hand operation on a music stand, the switch action is quite heavy - it’s click-less, but the spring is too powerful for a light finger press. I can’t remember if taking the spring out still works - just using the return spring in the switch itself - I’ll try it later...
    In that case, certainly give the Vein Tap looper a go then if that option suits you. The soft click is similar to that of one of the newer Strymon pedals so super light to operate. 
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    ICBM said:

The TU3 that sits ontop of my rack for live use, tends to get punched on rather than pushed!
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7772
    ThorpyFX said:

Thanks for that - I'll have to open a pedal or two and see if there's room, and start saving some pennies :)
  • glynesglynes Frets: 131
    If you want to replace the footswitch with something designed for hand-operation, rather than fit a different type of footswitch as suggested above, you could try a handswitch https://www.mouser.co.uk/Electromechanical/Switches/Toggle-Switches/_/N-5g2j?P=1z0z296
  • TateFXTateFX Frets: 114
    tFB Trader
    Relay switching would be the way to go. I've just spent a few months looking into this and have made my own drop in replacement for a 3pdt.

The one Adrian linked from Mammoth is good but might be pricey when you factor in shipping. Have a look at this Coda effects mini kit you can order it with the relay and codded PIC for 8 Euro. Ships from France to the UK in about 4 days. you need to supply a few bits and the switch. 

http://www.coda-effects.com/p/relay-bypass-pcb.html
    Formerly Stu_Tate
    Tate FX
    www.TateFX.co.uk
    Instagram 
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993

With these sort switch boards, I'm guessing the foot switch is a SPST that sets and resets the relay coil?

Could you have a bypass looper with 3 in/outs, but with the switches in a different box? so you could have a couple of fx in the loop of an amp, sat on top within the looper, with the switches 20 ft away at front of stage. kinda similar to the gigrig remote loopy I guess.

sgosden said:

With these sort switch boards, I'm guessing the foot switch is a SPST that sets and resets the relay coil?

Could you have a bypass looper with 3 in/outs, but with the switches in a different box? so you could have a couple of fx in the loop of an amp, sat on top within the looper, with the switches 20 ft away at front of stage. kinda similar to the gigrig remote loopy I guess.

Yes, and yes.
    And that second idea has just given me something to consider for the switcher I'm building for the first quarter challenge.

Something to consider with the suggestions made, is that Mammoth one uses a latching relay (means it'll only use power during switching), whereas that coda one uses a standard relay (needs power to stay switched). If you're running of a power supply, it's not issue, but if you're relying on batteries, the Coda one will use more power.
  • TateFXTateFX Frets: 114
    tFB Trader
    m_c said:
    sgosden said:

Yes, and yes.
    And that second idea has just given me something to consider for the switcher I'm building for the first quarter challenge.

Something to consider with the suggestions made, is that Mammoth one uses a latching relay (means it'll only use power during switching), whereas that coda one uses a standard relay (needs power to stay switched). If you're running of a power supply, it's not issue, but if you're relying on batteries, the Coda one will use more power.
    I'll measure the power draw later and report back (Y) 
    Formerly Stu_Tate
    Tate FX
    www.TateFX.co.uk
    Instagram 
    Stu_tate said:
    m_c said:
    sgosden said:

Yes, and yes.

I'll measure the power draw later and report back (Y) 

Datasheet for the NA5W-K used in the coda one states the coil power is 200mW, but that drops below 80mW when active, which at 9V should be around 22mA and 9mA. Actually just realised they're using a linear regulator to power everything at 5V, so you're probably looking at quite a bit more than 22mA and 9mA.

The specs for the Mammoth one are less than 0.0008 mA off, 3mA while on, and 23mA during switching.