Floyd Rose Lock Nut

Hi
I currently have a Floyd Rose setup which I am not a huge fan of. I have fitted a back stop in the cavity under the tremolo and some stronger springs which has given me the tremolo I want without changing the whole thing out.
I have been told I can use the lock nut without the clamps fitted, I find it a total bind undoing them to tune and then retightening them, but again don’t want to change it.
The trouble is when you remove the clamps it looks a tad untidy with the threads on show, so can I turn the clamps over with the wedge side down and running between the strings leaving the strings free running in the nut or does anyone foresee any possible problems?
Cheers Andy
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 913
    Once your strings have been properly stretched and you've tuned the guitar and locked the nut, you shouldn't need to undo the lock nut at all. The fine tuners on the bridge should be sufficient to to make minor tuning adjustments.

If the guitar is going that far out of tune, there's likely to be a problem elsewhere. First thing I'd check would be the string tensioning bar behind the nut. Make sure that is applying some pressure to the strings.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Turning the clamps 90 degrees won’t stop them from restricting sting movement. If you really don’t like the open holes, just put the screws in them without the clamps.

If you still want to dive on the whammy though I recommend you keep the clamps if you want the best tuning stability, and stick to the fine tuners.