Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Wheeler Dealers new series

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Just Caught last nights. They butchered that Cossie. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3620
    Wolfetone said:
    I have always felt very uncomfortable about programmes like this where they show in great detail, the haggling process at both ends with Mike Brewer rubbing his hands with glee at the way he screwed the seller and the eventual buyer. the seller and the buyer must surely watch the show and in some cases think, "you fackin' caant".

I do enjoy the show only from the aspect of the cars themselves but I think that Mike Brewer is the archetype used car dealer. You decide what I mean.
    Don't feel uncomfortable, the buyer and seller are probably just actors. 

What you are watching has no bearing on reality. 
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Neil said:
    Wolfetone said:
    I have always felt very uncomfortable about programmes like this where they show in great detail, the haggling process at both ends with Mike Brewer rubbing his hands with glee at the way he screwed the seller and the eventual buyer. the seller and the buyer must surely watch the show and in some cases think, "you fackin' caant".

I do enjoy the show only from the aspect of the cars themselves but I think that Mike Brewer is the archetype used car dealer. You decide what I mean.
    Don't feel uncomfortable, the buyer and seller are probably just actors. 

What you are watching has no bearing on reality. 
    I have no way of knowing that other than what's been revealed in this thread. Perception is reality as they say.
  • doing all that work and makin a lahvely £25 quid profit on most of the cars
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    I watched it, the first one with the Cossie - one of those is probably the only Ford I'd like to have (though I'd need to get myself a back-to-front baseball caps to go with it).

I thought it was quite good and Ant's descriptions of things was quite interesting; we'll see how long he lasts in the show, because I'd associated him with more quality stuff, TBH.

I do think the buy & sell pantomime is a bit creaky though.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    PC_Dave said:
    Is it Ant Anstead? 
    Yep - not Ant & Dec!
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9525
    Actually enjoyed that first episode
  • It's just a bit of fun, and if taken as such, is. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7333
    I hope they do a 1968 Reliant Supervan III
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

You just have to take the show as what it is. It’s obvious that the selling and buying part is staged, but a lot of the parts on the mechanics have been very good throughout its life. I watched the new one and I thought Ant was good too. There seemed to be more emphasis on mechanics than what we’ve seen recently which is odd considering all that happened with Ed. That middle wing was a travesty though.

On the subject of Mike being unkind about Ed – after reading that interview it seems like there’s an element of Mike being fucked over as well. If what he says is true and Ed left without telling him then that’s not great for him to be fair and he also rejects that the producers wanted to dumb it down so it depends who you believe on that one. I don’t know either of them so I don’t know. It certainly seemed to be going that way in the last few series but the new episode didn’t seem dumbed down to me. Either way I like Ed and, though I agree he’s annoying, I don’t mind Mike – he’s just a guy who loves cars and wanted to carry on making the program. 

I’ll just stick to watching the bits on the mechanics and ignoring the shite that sandwiches it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10267
    I watched a few of the last series that Mike and Edd did together while off work over Christmas,and there are quite a few episodes where Mike works on the car himself,while Edd is nowhere to be seen.Made me think that maybe,in hindsight,things where already happening in the background.Just seemed a bit odd to me.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    I watched a few of the last series that Mike and Edd did together while off work over Christmas,and there are quite a few episodes where Mike works on the car himself,while Edd is nowhere to be seen.Made me think that maybe,in hindsight,things where already happening in the background.Just seemed a bit odd to me.
    Would you trust a car where that chimp Brewer had worked on it though?  =)

I don’t know about the politics that have gone on behind the scenes. Maybe Edd thought that the show was harming his other business interests or his reputation. Or was it simply taking up too much of his time? Definitely seems odd he’d not tell Brewer that he was leaving after all these years working together. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    boogieman said:
    Would you trust a car where that chimp Brewer had worked on it though?  =)

I don’t know about the politics that have gone on behind the scenes. Maybe Edd thought that the show was harming his other business interests or his reputation. Or was it simply taking up too much of his time? Definitely seems odd he’d not tell Brewer that he was leaving after all these years working together. 
    Perhaps Edd thinks of Mike Brewer in much the same terms as most of the people here?
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24287
    CHIMP CHIMP CHIMP!!!!!   Shit actor.  God help him if he’s not putting on a persona for the programme and he really is like that.  Edd wasn’t perfect by a long shot either though.  Overall, it was shit compared to the infinitely superior Car SOS.  You got to see some real mechanical work, complete with all the real problems there, rather than the sanitised version of Wheeler Dealers where everything comes off easily and fits perfectly first time etc.

Car SOS FTW!!

Also the American original Pimp My Ride...   
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    edited January 2018
    Of all the car show I've seen I love Bitchin Rides, the names stupid but the show has a bit of everything thrown in while actually making a car 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    edited January 2018
    Emp_Fab said:
    CHIMP CHIMP CHIMP!!!!!   Shit actor.  God help him if he’s not putting on a persona for the programme and he really is like that.  Edd wasn’t perfect by a long shot either though.  Overall, it was shit compared to the infinitely superior Car SOS.  You got to see some real mechanical work, complete with all the real problems there, rather than the sanitised version of Wheeler Dealers where everything comes off easily and fits perfectly first time etc.

Car SOS FTW!!

Also the American original Pimp My Ride...   
    But, but.......Car SOS has that stupid lanky Tim Wotsisface though, he’s just as bad as Brewer! And Fuzzychops mechanical bloke dresses up in those ridiculous Edwardian clothes.