Trem claw grounding -- drill hole or copper tape?

What's Hot
mistercharliemistercharlie Frets: 333
edited January 2018 in Making & Modding
I'm putting together a Strat and I think my soldering iron is a bit too weedy to solder an earth wire to the trem claw. Should I drill a hole in the claw and use a screw or bolt, or should I solder the wire to a bit of sticky copper shielding tape and stick that on there?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NomadNomad Frets: 549
    Shielding tape isn't very robust - drilling a hole and using something like a short self-tapper would be much stronger. A soldered connection to the claw is still better, though.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    If you are struggling with soldering to the claw, take the springs off of the claw first. They will be acting as huge heatsinks... you don’t need a huge soldering iron either. I use a little 25watt Jobbie, works fine.

get some heat on the claw and a blob of solder. Keep it hot and attached ground wire... ‘‘tis easy!.
  • I'll have a crack at that today then. It's probably easier to do it before it goes in the guitar, then poke the wire through to the main control section.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72258
    I do it a totally different way...

Take the claw off the guitar and heat it in a gas hob flame :). Hold it with something like pliers, obviously ;),

When it’s hot enough the solder will melt onto it very easily, then you can simply add the wire - which you have pre-soldered (tinned) the end of - and hold it still until it cools. Then fit it back to the guitar.

It does a better job than any soldering iron I have, even my 50W Weller with a broad tip.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That sounds like more fun than the proper way. 
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549

Or get one of these...

Runs on normal butane lighter gas. No idea what the equivalent wattage is, but it has loads of heat - easily desolders metal pickup covers.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• Would this do the trick?

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 912
    I always solder to trem claws, backs of pots, etc in the same way.

Decide where you want the wire to attach and clean that area with switch cleaner to remove any grease. Score the metal with the point of a Stanley knife to give the solder something to grip. Place your tinned iron on the spot and allow it to heat for a couple of seconds. Put the solder wire on the metal surface next to the tip of the iron. The solder will run easily so keep adding until you have a blob the right size. Clean the tip of the iron and re-tin. Tin your wire, place it on the blob and place the tip of the iron on top.

This method won't overheat anything and always works.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Following @drwiddly's method, I am now the proud owner of a well-stuck blob of solder on the trem claw. I couldn't find my switch cleaner, so I just rubbed it down with something abrasive. I also added a bit of flux, because why not?

It worked great. I shall be adding the wire after I assemble the guitar, but the blob looks good.