Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Do you have any superpowers ?

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24209
edited January 2018 in Off Topic
No - farting, burping, knocking a can off a wall with a bodily fluid etc does not count.

I'm talking about things you think you are unusually good at or sensitive to.

I think I am incredibly sensitive to infra-red heat.  I can feel residual heat from items on my skin from several feet away.  For example, a kettle.  I've just made a cuppa and went to the fridge for the milk.  As I was approaching the area where the kettle is, my subonsciousness warned me there was something hot nearby - because I could feel it on my skin - from five feet away.  I closed my eyes and turned my face in both directions and I could definitely feel the infra-red heat emanating from the kettle.

I say I think I'm incredibly sensitive to infra-red heat as I have no idea whether this sensitivity is common or not and it's never occurred to me to ask - until now 

I also think I have very fast vision - a super-high scanning framerate if you will.  Back in the day when CRT monitors ruled, I would find it impossible to work with any screen that was set to a refresh rate of anything lower than 85Hz.  I could see the flicker.  Once past 85Hz, I couldn't see any difference all the way up to 120Hz, or whatever the maximum you could find was.  Other people could barely spot if a screen was set to 60Hz.  I also find that the newer LED stop & tail lights on cars appear as a high-frequency flicker to me.  If I move my eyes rapidly left and right whilst looking at an LED tail light, it isn't one continual line of after-image, but a series of dots, as though the light is turning off and on rapidly.  This one doesn't make complete sense to me as, as far as I know, LEDs don't actually flicker like that - they are a constant light source.  So.... not sure what's going on there.

Either way, I'm designing my lycra superhero suit as we speak.  I haven't decided on a name yet.

Do you have any superpowers ?
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    IIRC the LEDs are driven by a pulse width modulated signal to vary their brightness, so do flicker very rapidly.

Will sir be needing a cape?
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    No I don't, I don't even have any mediocre powers

• My superpower is that I can go into Poundland and fill a basket with items you could buy in other shops for 65p.  So the wife tells me. :)
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I can see incredible detail close up. E.g. when the new pound coin came out I put it close to my eye, read the micro text all around the edge and told the guys in the office that it’s a pretty cool security feature.

That’s when I discovered that no one else in the office could actually read it at all. We had to look up a magnified picture online to confirm what I’m saying is true.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24209
    edited January 2018

Maynehead said:
    I can see incredible detail close up. E.g. when the new pound coin came out I put it close to my eye, read the micro text all around the edge and told the guys in the office that it’s a pretty cool security feature.

That’s when I discovered that no one else in the office could actually read it at all. We had to look up a magnified picture online to confirm what I’m saying is true.
    You are indeed blessed with superpowers. Will you join with me (no.... not like that) ? We can be the founders of a crime-and-evil-fighting-syndicate.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    StrobeEffectsAreWastedOnMeMan?
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27586
    edited January 2018
    I know from a different room when the oven timer is about to beep. I am surprisingly accurate.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    I can tell which corner of the car the funny noise is coming from.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1737
    edited January 2018

I was once really off my face on heavy duty painkiller and said to my wife that I wondered how our friend we hadn't spoken to in a while was - I reckon she's going to call soon and tell us she's pregnant.

30 minutes later said friend called to say sorry she'd not been in touch for a while and she had news that she was pregnant.

100% coincidence and nothing spooky. But really did happen

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    I’m incredibly good at annoying my ex wife. Does that count? 
    gubble said:

I was once really off my face on heavy duty painkiller and said to my wife that I wondered how our friend we hadn't spoken to in a while was - I reckon she's going to call soon and tell us she's pregnant.

30 minutes later said friend called to say sorry she'd not been in touch for a while and she had news that she was pregnant.

Isn't that how Oracle's used to work? Basically they'd be completely off their tits on the preferred hallucinogen of the day (or in Delphy the volcanic fumes) and just randomly blurt things out whilst tripping.
    I think I need a research grant and a good pharmacist.
  • Maynehead said:

I am spectacularly short-sighted (-7 / -8) and I have this superpower when I am not wearing my contact lenses or glasses. Every cloud...!

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Not joking, but first hit written word. I can usually complete a 1000 word rugby or cricket article from start to finish in an hour. That means creating the content/theme as I write it. (hour doesn't include edit or research)

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    I have the ability to enter a room and make the blood pressure of anyone there increase eversoslightly. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I have a rare superpower called 'Acquisition' .... I roam Google looking for things to buy which I acquire in the blink of an eye through my encyclopedic knowledge of my credit card numbers and security details. From source to check-up is blindingly fast as bargains are snaffled and poor helpless mortals who are slow find that by the time they're ready to check out the item is no longer is stock. 

I really am that quick .. no hanging about .. murder on the bank account though .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6598
    I have a super-powered nose that can smell bullshit from miles away.... 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    The ability to do a terrible ska version of almost any song ever written. Well, provided it has no more than 4 chords . But, very distracting to a super villain to hear Katy Perry songs accented on the off beat. 

I also have an incredibly poor sense of direction. I'm not sure how I'd use that as a superpower but it is more extreme than most people's so I'm sure it must have a use. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    gubble said:

And your wife never once suspected that you were the father?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    gubble said:

I think your superpower is being incredibly fertile, you had played hide the sausage with her and figured it was just a matter of time...