Where do you buy a decent office chair?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• notanonnotanon Frets: 607
    My OTH wants a new office chair but wants Herman Miller type quality and comfort but it has to be wide enough to relax with legs folded. And, . . .  also needs look very plush like leather: impossible :-( Nothing at the likes of Staples, been to all sorts of furniture stores. Initially I thought I don't mind going to £500 for the chair (if quality). If it is something she really likes the style of then I would now go to £1K. Tried some really nice leather chairs with circular bases but they are not practical really - has to be on castors.

I wanted similar and gave up. I acquiesced and went for a gamer type chair with arms that pull up (so I can play the guitar) plus a booster seat kind of orthopaedic foam kind of thing to increase comfort. Works great for me but even I don't like the way it looks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28125
    edited January 2018
    ToneControl said: 
    Sporky said:
    Maynehead said:
    Herman Miller, there’s nothing better.
    They do some perfectly decent stuff, but I think "there's nothing better" is overstating it rather.
    I've never seen/tried better, have you?
    I had one at work for a year, that opened my eyes
    Yes.

I had a Herman Miller at my last in-London job. It was a very good chair indeed, much better than the chairs most offices have - I'm not knocking them. But when I bought my RH it was after trying a dozen (maybe more) different chairs, including a good number of HM ones. The RH is built to at least the same standard, is more adjustable and was more comfortable for me. In particular none of the HMs went high enough for me, whereas RH had three different gas lift options.

You don't see many HMs in air traffic control centres, power stations, NOCs and so on - they're mostly RH or HAG. I'm not sure HM even have a 24-hour rated chair?

To reverse the question, how many of you who are saying there's nothing better than Herman Miller have tried a good number of the serious alternatives (ie proper commercial operator grade chairs, not IKEA or John Lewis or Office World type stuff)?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Ikea do a good range of office chairs. I work from home and have no complaints.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    Sporky said:
    ToneControl said: 
    Sporky said:
    Maynehead said:
    Herman Miller, there’s nothing better.
    They do some perfectly decent stuff, but I think "there's nothing better" is overstating it rather.
    I've never seen/tried better, have you?
    I had one at work for a year, that opened my eyes
    Yes.

I had a Herman Miller at my last in-London job. It was a very good chair indeed, much better than the chairs most offices have - I'm not knocking them. But when I bought my RH it was after trying a dozen (maybe more) different chairs, including a good number of HM ones. The RH is built to at least the same standard, is more adjustable and was more comfortable for me. In particular none of the HMs went high enough for me, whereas RH had three different gas lift options.

You don't see many HMs in air traffic control centres, power stations, NOCs and so on - they're mostly RH or HAG. I'm not sure HM even have a 24-hour rated chair?

To reverse the question, how many of you who are saying there's nothing better than Herman Miller have tried a good number of the serious alternatives (ie proper commercial operator grade chairs, not IKEA or John Lewis or Office World type stuff)?
    fair enough if you have experience of HM ones, I've not tried better: I've borrowed a few orthopaedic ones at work, and never been very impressed
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    On the normal budget end,  I found all the normal shops sold awful chairs
    Only place I found with proper, comfy, stable chairs was Costco

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    Well at work we require control person chairs, i.e chairs designed for 24/7 occupancy.  
    The best we've had ranging from £200-2000 was from office furniture online and it cost £280.  someone is sat in that chair every hour of every day and the weight varies from 14 st to 20st and it looks like new still. worth a shot.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Thanks, all (well, mostly) useful info.
    Have ordered a Humanscale Liberty for £189 from 2ND HAND will let you know if they deliver the goods!

Would have gone for the £299 Herman Miller Aereon in Green but they have just sold out...
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28125
    Humanscale stuff is generally very good, and that seems a very keen price.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • I got myself an Ikea "Markus" chair about 6 months ago. They have a 10 year warranty and  come recommended for a   mid-range chair. I work from home and use it pretty much 8 hours a day. It's very comfortable indeed.

If you want to look  around I suggest looking at   https://www.2ndhnd.com/ where they currently have the HM Aeron  at £299 which an unbelievable bargain if it's true.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Chair arrived today form 2ND Hand - really impressed with the chair and the service.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jalapeno said:
    TimmyO said:

I also had an Ikea chair that lasted over 10 years of daily use 
    I still have a >10yr old IKEA typist's chair - getting tatty now, but mechanically sound !
    Another > 10 year old Ikea office chair which is still going strong; leather still looking good