Selling a rubbish car privately

What's Hot
hi there, I’ve never sold a car privately but I’m going to give it a go this time. I have a 2005 diesel Astra with 120k in the clock. Not a lot wrong with it but I need something bigger and a trade in this time isn’t an option. So for a car like mine that’s not worth a great deal what’s the best approach? Get a MOT and put it on Facebook? Any advice? Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16084
    Gumtree...........lots of idiots but lots of fast response ;  just filter the response  ..........if not then Autotrader
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    I sold my last one on gumtree.   I only put up an ad on the off chance and I was overloaded with offers.    
    FB would probably be the same if you find a local buying and selling group.    
  • Sold mine on Gumtree too, had a fucked up gearbox and clutch so a motor trader bought it to sell the parts on. Was literally listed for 5 minutes and had 3 interested buyers.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12350
    Get it MOT’d if it’s due anytime soon, it’ll give people confidence that it’ll give them at least a year’s use of it. Facebook is worth a go, I sold my Focus that way. Otherwise yup, Gumtree, but be prepared to put up with lots of idiots, stupid questions and low ball offers.
  • Gumtree all the way. If you can stick an mot on it then that's a huge plus point (haven been the purchaser of many rubbish cars in my past) 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    local supermarket Ad board
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • longshinslongshins Frets: 246
    With eBay are you not left wide open to getting stung by scammers?
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    longshins said:
    How is someone going to scam you with a car? We did cash on collection. You can be scammed on any platform, especially Gumtree.

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited January 2018
    You'd probably get up to £5k on a Scrappage scheme. Yes, you'd have to buy a new car...but you'd have a big deposit!

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    Fretwired said:
    longshins said:
    How is someone going to scam you with a car? We did cash on collection. You can be scammed on any platform, especially Gumtree.
    As in they pay by PayPal then say there was a bogey on the gearstick and start an eBay dispute.
    longshins said:
    Fretwired said:
    longshins said:
    As in they pay by PayPal then say there was a bogey on the gearstick and start an eBay dispute.
    Like I said COD ... I have also done COD with expensive guitars. Sod PayPal and eBay's rules.

You'd probably get up to £5k on a Scrappage scheme. Yes, you'd have to buy a new car...but you'd have a big deposit!
    Good idea, especially as its a diesel which the government are keen to tax more.

• ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    I've ad quite a bit of success in the past parking the car up in a prominent position at the side of the road with a for sale notice in the window. Costs nothing.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31525
    Just get it nicked.
     A mate of mine left an unwanted Honda CX500 with the key in it under a railway arch in East London - mind you, when he came back three weeks later it was still there, only someone had nicked the key.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    p90fool said:
    Just get it nicked.
     A mate of mine left an unwanted Honda CX500 with the key in it under a railway arch in East London - mind you, when he came back three weeks later it was still there, only someone had nicked the key.
    The back doors don’t lock on my car. I wish somebody would nick it!
  • p90fool said:
    Just get it nicked.
    lol reminds me of the guy who left his banjo in his unlocked car. when he came back he found five more banjos in it.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398
    Last car I sold was via Ebay motors. I put it on the site and got a message asking if the aircon worked. When I said it did a guy came out and paid cash straight away and it went off to Africa in a container with 20 other Ebay cars, all with aircon. That's all they seemed to care about, never even asked about MOT
    www.2020studios.co.uk