Blocked toilet/drain

What's Hot

Comments

• if it is your bit that is blocked then chuck a one shot drain cleaner down it, that stuff is incredible.. it even eats nappies

^ This ^

Not used it on a sewage outlet, but I love the mini explosion you get when you tip caustic soda down the sink/washbasin plughole and the pour boiling water in afterwards :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4979
    johnswiss said:
    £3 on a toilet plunger.

£14 on a set of drain rods. Just use them thoughtfully otherwise you'll end up with sections of rod stuck in the drain. Speaking as the least DIY competent person alive even I can do this ( oddly satisfying). 

@EricTheWeary are the rods flexible enough to go down the toilet, right round the u bend and out the other side? I think it's just beyond there where the issue is.
    No. Outside manhole, run a rod without any end fitting both ways. You will (usually) dislodge the blockage fairly easily.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    grungebob said:
    Probably the main drain outside has a blockage. 
    Do any other properties drains cross your land ie is it a shared drain, if so local water company has to fix for you for gratis. 
    First step is to check the external drain outside the property. If that is blocked then it’s a water company problem and, since it’s caused sewage flooding within your property you will get an emergency response. Ask me how I know. 

If if not then work backwards, checking each access point. 

I wouldnt use chemicals. If they don’t sort the problem, which they won’t if it’s not a grease build up, then they make matters worse. If left because the block is not cleared then they can erode clay pipes. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7333
    edited January 2018
    you can hire drain rods etc from a tool hire
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    This!!

I do this every now and again down the bath/shower drain when it starts to slow down.  Apparently it's a mix of hair and hair conditioner that clogs up most bath/shower drains.  I make up a bit of solution, fill the bath with water, give it 15mins or so then drain the water.  Works great and caustic soda is cheap!  

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    Roland said:
    grungebob said:
    Do any other properties drains cross your land ie is it a shared drain, if so local water company has to fix for you for gratis. 
    First step is to check the external drain outside the property. If that is blocked then it’s a water company problem and, since it’s caused sewage flooding within your property you will get an emergency response. Ask me how I know. 

I wouldnt use chemicals. If they don’t sort the problem, which they won’t if it’s not a grease build up, then they make matters worse. If left because the block is not cleared then they can erode clay pipes. 
    All the drains inside the property boundary are the responsibility of the home owner. The water company is only responsible for the main sewer pipe work, so I don’t think they’d clear any blockage inside the house boundary. Or they might, but they’ll charge you for it. 

As others have said, the first job is to lift any manhole covers outside the house and see what’s blocked and where. If you can bear rodding out a pipe-full of shite yourself, you’ll save a load of money on a call out charge to DynoRod. It’s not a particularly difficult job, just a nasty one.  :s
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    Yeah, but you need to eliminate the possibility that the blockage is outside the boundary
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24287
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • There's a wire spring type thing you can get for putting down loos - about 2 metres of sprung wire, around 10 mm diameter and a sort of crank twister handle. Good for pulling out paper blockages and goes round every corner, so you can poke it up down pipes as well. Wickes have them.http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Flexible-Coil-Drain-Cleaner---4-65m/p/500594
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    edited January 2018
    dbl post
  • johnswissjohnswiss Frets: 393
    Just bought some rods, but that looks like it might suit the job better. Apparently Mrs Swiss was telling me about these earlier - I wasnt listening!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks for all the great advice and tips guys. Hoping I can DIY it and not get too covered in the brown stuff in the process. This place has some strange drainage features I know, original bits are 1890 with a few later add ons. Man hole is on the other side of the neighbours property and quite a way away.
  • westwest Frets: 996
    Had this very problem today , 4 private houses with a drain on each drive , in the past our responability , neighbour called severn trent who sent dynorod , who cleared them for free , the cause was wet wipes and they took a photo and pushed dont block yer drain leaflets through the letterbox  , we were told the is some charge on the water bill to account for this , of course nobody uses wet wipes , yeah right lol ...
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    boogieman said:
    Roland said:
    grungebob said:

All the drains inside the property boundary are the responsibility of the home owner. The water company is only responsible for the main sewer pipe work, so I don’t think they’d clear any blockage inside the house boundary. Or they might, but they’ll charge you for it. 

As others have said, the first job is to lift any manhole covers outside the house and see what’s blocked and where. If you can bear rodding out a pipe-full of shite yourself, you’ll save a load of money on a call out charge to DynoRod. It’s not a particularly difficult job, just a nasty one.  :s
    Not true. If the drains are serviced by more than one household it’s a water authority problem. Laws changed 2012. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    edited January 2018
    Did you get it sorted?....

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    spark240 said:
    Did you get it sorted?....

My wife is picking up one of those flexible coil drain cleaners tomorrow so I'm going to start with that when she's back
  • grungebob said:
    Not true. If the drains are serviced by more than one household it’s a water authority problem. Laws changed 2012. 
    What grungebob said - though I beleive it only refers to older buildings, pre 1930 or something - but sounds like a job for your water board - Thames do ours for free as its shared over 4 properties - we have the man hole, but the lowest house has the blockage pong.
    Well, this morning the blockage has completely cleared by itself. I might have hoped for a partial breakthrough but it's gone from completely blocked to completely unblocked.
    Can't help but think the power of the collective thoughts of Fretboarders made this so. In light of this about 30k would be really handy in my life right now - and so your collective thoughts on this would be appreciated too.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2018
    Sat on the loo at work flicking through drain rod videos on YouTube. I never thought my life would turn out like this...

They all seem to show roughly the same thing. There's probably an instruction leaflet with the rods anyway.

Good luck. 
    @EricTheWeary this act alone played a big part I think in the great unblocking miracle of 2018!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6388
    You must be flushed by a sense of relief ! ;)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom