Yesterday I wrote a letter

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4980
yes, a real letter.  On a sheet of paper using a pen.  A musician friend sent us a Christmas card that had a short note inside.  So the reply had to be hand written.  My usual is to fire up Word and type.  Using a pen is a slower process, you need to think what you are going to write before you write it.  Also there is no autocorrect or such like on a pen.  The two page letter took about ten minutes longer than it would on a computer but I felt very pleased with the result.  Bill Gates or any internet server people did not get their paws on my words, they are between my friend and myself.  And nobody else.

If you are not a regular letter writer, give it a try.  The old technology still works.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    edited January 2018
    Rocker said:
    yes, a real letter.  On a sheet of paper using a pen.  A musician friend sent us a Christmas card that had a short note inside.  So the reply had to be hand written.  My usual is to fire up Word and type.  Using a pen is a slower process, you need to think what you are going to write before you write it.  Also there is no autocorrect or such like on a pen.  The two page letter took about ten minutes longer than it would on a computer but I felt very pleased with the result.  Bill Gates or any internet server people did not get their paws on my words, they are between my friend and myself.  And nobody else.

If you are not a regular letter writer, give it a try.  The old technology still works.
    A letter costs money for the stamp to send it, as opposed to an email that costs nothing. It’s small wonder nobody does it any more. 

I know what you’re saying though, letter writing has become a lost art. A friend of mine does calligraphy and it’s beautiful to look at. I can’t remember the last time I wrote anything with a pen except a shopping list
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    My problem is that through years of neglect, my handwriting is appalling - even discounting mistakes, I have to do things like birthday cards with exaggerated, child-like care or it just looks a total mess.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Frets: 198
    edited January 2018
    I wrote one to father Xmas,seemed to work.(sorry couldn’t resist)
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

This place being what it is, someone will appear very shortly demanding to know how expensive your pen was! (Half kidding.)

By the way I agree about ICBM's neatness thing. I don't have cause to write much apart from rough scribbles - and my once-ugly handwriting is getting even worse...

• NeillNeill Frets: 941
    Pop songs of the future are being deprived of a key source of material with email etc.  Imagine lyrics of the past fast forwarded to the electronic age:

"I'm gonna sit right down and write myself an e mail, and make believe it came from you"

"Lonely days are gone, I'm going home, my baby just sent me a text message"

"And while I'm away, I'll post a message on Facebook every day"

"Now I'm eating my heart out, tryin' to get a signal on this bloody iphone" 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    My writing is awful now and my hand hurts if I wrote anything more than a few sentences. It's a shame.

I was taught how to write letters back at school, is this still done these days? 
  • Neill said:
    Pop songs of the future are being deprived of a key source of material with email etc.  Imagine lyrics of the past fast forwarded to the electronic age:

"I'm gonna sit right down and write myself an e mail, and make believe it came from you"

Ha what would happen to wait a minute Mr Postman?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    Neill said:

Ha what would happen to wait a minute Mr Postman?
    Every cloud has a silver lining - at least that bloody awful Carpenters version would never have seen the light of day.
  • Haven't done so for yonks except to persuade a pension company to update my home address on their records. I typed the text into notepad and corrected/arranged as necessary, then wrote it out by hand. Wouldn't dream of writing by hand from scratch without editing first.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Emails aren't fully free as you pay for internet and computer use etc, unless you're the kind of person who thinks nectar points are free. If a product appears to be free, you are probably the thing being sold
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • I type as much as possible because my handwriting is fucking horrible since my head injury. 

• ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Bravo! Great stuff, communication without a username or password.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    edited January 2018
    I write in block capitals most of the time these days. My handwriting has poor legibility. A teacher once said that my writing looked like an epileptic spider that fell in a pot of ink then crawled across the page.

I recall that all the girls at school had writing that looked like it had been created by a machine it was so crisp and neat.
  • I have two hand writing styles, one if only I need to read it and one if anybody wide needs to read it. They are very different - my writing for myself often looks like Arabic or Hebrew with the occasional rune symbols thrown in but is very fast, the writing I have to do for anybody wide to read it is like script with italics and swirly shit everywhere because of how I was taught at primary school. It's a lot slower

I don't use either of them to write letters though as I've nobody to write to who I don't just speak to instead
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Rocker said:
     Bill Gates or any internet server people did not get their paws on my words, they are between my friend and myself.  And nobody else.

Have you never heard of a steaming kettle?
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1238
    I'm often accused of having doctors handwriting.
    However I can no longer put down a squiggle that can be interpreted as a defect on legal inspection documents at work now, as we've gone digital. I've now got to actually think about how to describe defects using proper terms, and type them in. :-/
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    When I write in grown-up joined writing I now find my brain races ahead of my pen and I end up with silly mistakes... You deffo lose dexterity when not doing it intensively as we used too
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I'm left handed and write with all the grace of harry the spider marching his ink soaked feet across the paper.

Tragic.