woss this all about?

What's Hot
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42562303

CPUs having "security flaws"? is it April 1st already?
"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• This is going to be a mini nightmare. All of a sudden everything you do that is hosted on the cloud could slow down by up to 30%. Virtually every server will need to be patched.
    And my customers are going to ask for another 30% extra servers "for free".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    Intel fucked up again.
    In simple terms, as far as I understand it, they implemented "speculative execution" (where as many code branches as will fit into cache are executed at the same time to increase performance) but forgot to add any permission checks before doing it. Fairly dumb stuff.
    The fix will cost CPU cycles, ie slow down your machine. Mainly affecting any process that does a lot of system level calls, eg IO or socket stuff.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • Well stone me, I wouldn't have thought of that in a million years!

I guess you would need to know a fair bit about what you were looking for if you hoiked out information at such a low level, in order to piece it together to make something meaningful out of it.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Not really, looking for passwords in plain text in kernel memory would be trivial. There's no obfuscation at that level because, why would there need to be <sigh>.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    FX_Munkee said:
    Intel fucked up again.
    In simple terms, as far as I understand it, they implemented "speculative execution" (where as many code branches as will fit into cache are executed at the same time to increase performance) but forgot to add any permission checks before doing it. Fairly dumb stuff.
    The fix will cost CPU cycles, ie slow down your machine. Mainly affecting any process that does a lot of system level calls, eg IO or socket stuff.
    I put that in Google translate but I still didn't understand it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:
    FX_Munkee said:
    Intel fucked up again.
    Think of two people walking down two separate roads talking on the the phone, neither can hear each other. Then the roads join all of a sudden the people on the other side of the phone calls can hear each other load and clear and exchange information without the walkers knowing.

• axisus said:
    FX_Munkee said:
    Intel fucked up again.
    Think of two people walking down two separate roads talking on the the phone, neither can hear each other. Then the roads join all of a sudden the people on the other side of the phone calls can hear each other load and clear and exchange information without the walkers knowing.

Nope. I've still got nothing. Is that Chinglish?

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    Basically, much of the world is going to slow down by up to 30%.  Probably.  For a while at least.

I quite like the idea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Worth adding the head of intel may be in trouble for inside trading

Apparently he sold a lot of stock knowing this announcement was coming out
    axisus said:
    FX_Munkee said:
    Intel fucked up again.
    imagine this code:-
    if(x==1)
    {
      do this bit of code;
    }
    else if(x==2)
    {
      do this other code thing;
    }
    else
    {
      do something else;
    }
    In speculative execution the CPU will do all 3 possibilities at the same time because it has the bandwidth. Then when it has calculated what x actually is it will use the 1 bit of code that it requires, discarding the other 2.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    I prefer a more sedate, leisurely lifestyle.
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 175
    Just checked, mines an AMD =)
    But my laptop is intel :'(
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    Clashman said:
    Word is they may have a problem too
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited January 2018
    siremoon said:
    Clashman said:
    Just checked, mines an AMD
    Said as much on The Register. Their explanation made a fair bit of sense.

EDIT: This bit was good ...

To help put Intel's claims into context, we've annotated the text. Bold is Intel's spin.

Intel and other technology companies have been made aware of new security research describing software analysis methods that, when used for malicious purposes, have the potential to improperly gather sensitive data from computing devices that are operating as designed.

Translation: When malware steals your stuff, your Intel chip is working as designed. Also, this is why our stock price fell. Please make other stock prices fall, thank you.

As long as my 150,00 bitcoins are safe I'm not bothered.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    siremoon said:
    Clashman said:
    They are affected but by the lower level vulnerability, which is pretty difficult to pull off, also there's a possibility it could be patched at the microcode level so no performance hit.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    they won't get into my Atari STf...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I just Spectre'd you and stole a zero off the end of your number of bitcoins.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans