Just seen Camel!

John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
Just got in from a Camel gig at Sheffield city hall (lovely venue, can't think why I haven't been before!).

It was superb!  Anyone who is fan of the Dave Gilmour, Steve Rothery  proggish but heavy on feel and melody style of guitar playing should make they get to a gig on this tour to hear Andy Latimer play.

3 hour set with the snow goose album then a break follow by two hours of classics.  The sound and musicianship was amazing - I can't think of any gig I've been to in a venue of that size that sounded as good.

Andy Latimer played his Les Paul through a pair of ac30's through a what looked to be a simple pedal board.  I'd forgotten what a master of violining with the volume control he is and vibrato and bending made his playing easily as emotional as Rothery or Gilmour :)
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MistyMisty Frets: 135
    I was playing in Berlin around 1980, and had the opportunity to see Camel then. I just remember how excellent Andy Latimer was at that time, so it's great to know he's still up there some 34 years on!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • In my youth went to see lots of bands at  the local venues which took touring bands usually once week. It wasn't until a bit later that I realised how good some of these bands were Camel included
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Latimer is The Man. I'm intending to see Camel in Cambridge tomorrow :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 431
    Latimer is The Man. I'm intending to see Camel in Cambridge tomorrow :)
    Yep me too!
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    Andy Latimer is a fantastic player and it's great that he's made such a good recovery from his recent illness and is well enough to tour.
  • GuitarseGuitarse Frets: 165
    Fantastic and not so well known guitarist.....Pulls great faces too!  :)
    Never ever bloody anything, ever!
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2014
    Very jealous. Loved Camel in my younger days...

Lady Fantasy is a master class in controlled feedback.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Saw Camel back in the 1970s on the Moon madness tour .. great band .. sadly Pete Bardens died but Latimer flies the flag for tasteful guitar playing.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    @Chuffola Lady Fantasy is probably my favouritest ever Camel number.  :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26754
    ??

Happy smiley camel!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited March 2014
    IMO this thread should be under Chat|music, but since we're discussing the current Camel tour, I'll post here.

Saw the Cambridge gig last night. The band played well (Mr Latimer was exquisite as usual) but I couldn't help thinking (not for the first time) that when I saw the 4-piece on the original Snow Goose tour, Mr Pete Bardens did all the keyboards, whereas today it takes 2 people to replace him and I still think these 2 don't cover all the bases that Bardens did.

There were a few things that pissed me off though.

• The bloke who kept calling out for Mystic Queen (or occasionally Ice). He was even doing it in the Snow Goose set.
    • The electric bass could not be heard clearly. Partly because the sound man dialled in way too much bass on his channel and nowhere near enough mid range, and partly because of the boom from the kick drum.
    • The "piano" sounds used by Ton Scherpenzeel were harsh and brittle.
    • Mr Latimer used his Strat for the first half of the Snow Goose. He should have switched to his Lester earlier.
    • The band missed a trick near the end of Lady Fantasy. After the last vocal line "I ... love .. you", everything should be momentarily silent then the band should pile in for the final wigout so violently that it should be a shock to the system. I think they more ground into gear than piled in there and the effect was nowhere near as dramatic.

Having said all that, though, I was glad I went, and it was indeed good to see Mr Latimer on form again. As mentioned in the OP he used 2 AC30s and a small pedal board. I would love to know what's on his pedal board. Does anyone know how to find out?

EDIT I googled for "andy latimer's pedal board" and found a photograph of it and a diagram here: http://www.latimerish.com/

I also didn't know his Lester is a Burny. Maybe he flogged his Gibbos to pay for the medical treatment he has needed over the last few years ...
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16255
    Googled it.
    JMI amps, not Vox.
    Crybaby
    Boss tuner
    Rat
    TS
    Fulldrive
    TS
    DD3
    LINE 6 DL4
    BOSS LS2

His Lester is a Burny rather than à Gibson?
    Anyhoo, loads at Spanish site Latimerish.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    @EricTheWeary looks like we both got there in parallel :)

@stickyfiddle's camel has an "I know something you don't" kind of smile ...
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 681
    I also didn't know his Lester is a Burny. Maybe he flogged his Gibbos to pay for the medical treatment he has needed over the last few years ...

Shock! Horror! Perhaps he flogged them because the Burny's were better? Or he just preferred them?
    whatever the reason, he makes them sound very good ...
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    New live CD and DVD out - 'In From The Cold' is released 24th March 2014.Track List:

Set One: The Snow Goose

01.          The Great Marsh
    02.          Rhayader
    03.          Rhayader Goes To Town
    04.          Sanctuary
    05.          Fritha
    06.          The Snow Goose
    07.          Friendship
    08.          Migration
    09.          Rhayader Alone
    10.          Flight Of The Snow Goose
    11.          Preparation
    12.          Dunkirk
    13.          Epitaph
    14.          Fritha Alone
    15.          La Princesse Perdue
    16.          The Great Marsh {Reprise}

Set Two:

01.          Never Let Go
    02.          Song Within A Song
    03.          Echoes
    04.          The Hour Candle
    05.          Tell Me
    06.          Watching The Bobbins
    07.          Fox Hill
    08.          For Today
    09.          Lady Fantasy

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    They were selling "In from the cold" last night but I didn't have enough readies to buy one :(

the T-shirts were £25 :-O
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744

I grabbed the dvd - not had chance to check it yet - I didn't realise it was a cd as well.

The sound at the Sheffield gig was one of the best I've heard - good enough to make me want to check out other acts there instead of heading over towards Leeds/Manchester.    The drums were very acoustic sounding and not the typical metal boom we're all used to hearing.   The bass was very crisp and clear.  The only flaws if I was very picky were some of the sounds used by the second keyboard player might be better.  My keys player buddy noticed but I was too busy listening to Andy Latimer.