New Jazzmasters?

What's Hot

Comments

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    dindude said:
    Jackobean said:
    The rumour mill over on strat-talk is suggesting a flatter radius and bigger fret wire for the american original range. Not a completely cynical re-brand if that's the case.

If that is the only changes over a AVRI '65, then that's a pretty good shout I think.

I'm still basking in my own smugness for picking up a new '65 Jag in Sonic Blue (see profile pic) for £850 two years ago (and then getting the wife to pay for it as a birthday present)!

SAME! Same guitar. Love it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3840
    What's the consensus on 250k vs. 500k pots in a Jazzmaster? I don't fancy 1 meg.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    Talking of Jazzmasters...where do folk line up the numbers on the volume and tone knobs? Mine came with them lined up so you see "6" when they're on full. The black knob screw is in line with the "10" so it looks kinda ugly that way.
  • Philtre said:
    Talking of Jazzmasters...where do folk line up the numbers on the volume and tone knobs? Mine came with them lined up so you see "6" when they're on full. The black knob screw is in line with the "10" so it looks kinda ugly that way.
    As above pictured 
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    Philtre said:
    As above pictured 
    That works because the black screws align on the "1" and they're not so in your face as if they were on the "10". If you know what I mean... ;-)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    DrBob said:
    impmann said:
    Corned beef guard = no from me.

Every time I look at a blue JM nowadays all I can think is “Nope, not as nice as the one I had off of Tim”.
    And then I look at Zoey’s Mini which is still leaking oil over the driveway despite having sold said, lovely Jazzmaster to pay for repairs.
    And then I get a little bit sad....
    Yup... me too, chap.

Hopefully the new owner is enjoying it.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    impmann said:
    DrBob said:
    impmann said:
    Corned beef guard = no from me.

Every time I look at a blue JM nowadays all I can think is “Nope, not as nice as the one I had off of Tim”.
    And then I look at Zoey’s Mini which is still leaking oil over the driveway despite having sold said, lovely Jazzmaster to pay for repairs.
    And then I get a little bit sad....
    Yup... me too, chap.

Hopefully the new owner is enjoying it.
    I’ve spoken to him since and he does say that it’s his new favourite Jazzmaster ( he already had three) so that’s something at least ..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
    edited January 2018
    Lebarque said:
    What's the consensus on 250k vs. 500k pots in a Jazzmaster? I don't fancy 1 meg.
    I have 300k volume and 500k tone on mine (and 500k vol/250k tone in my Jag), roll the tone down to 8 usually to give some adjustment room. 250s and 500s, in any combination, would be an improvement, though 1meg volumes do work well with a 250k tone as it has the bite, volume and brightness in tact to a point. YMMV etc, experiment!

dindude said:
    Jackobean said:
    The rumour mill over on strat-talk is suggesting a flatter radius and bigger fret wire for the american original range. Not a completely cynical re-brand if that's the case.

If that is the only changes over a AVRI '65, then that's a pretty good shout I think.

I'm still basking in my own smugness for picking up a new '65 Jag in Sonic Blue (see profile pic) for £850 two years ago (and then getting the wife to pay for it as a birthday present)!

Ditto! Now sorely tempted to get a AV65 JM if there are stock clearance offers to be had...
  • Lebarque said:
    All depends on your amp.

1k pots sparkle through my hiwatt. However through a fender twin they will take the enamel of your teeth.
    Apparently the thought behind the 1k pots was to play normally at around 8 on the volume pot and dial up to 10 for a treble boost/solo sort of thing.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Lebarque said:
    All depends on your amp.

1k pots sparkle through my hiwatt. However through a fender twin they will take the enamel of your teeth.
    Apparently the thought behind the 1k pots was to play normally at around 8 on the volume pot and dial up to 10 for a treble boost/solo sort of thing.
    Have not found this to be true at all! Fender Twin at 5s across the board sounds superb with my JM opened out fully on the dials. As did the previous. Marc’s pickups mind you. 
  • Lebarque said:
    All depends on your amp.

Have not found this to be true at all! Fender Twin at 5s across the board sounds superb with my JM opened out fully on the dials. As did the previous. Marc’s pickups mind you. 
    Firstly your twin isn't a proper twin (that's a good thing)
    Secondly you have alnico 3 magnets which have a softer attack than clackity alnico 5s.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Not to mention 600 pedals in your signal chain probably takes off a fair bit of top end
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lebarque said:
    All depends on your amp.

Secondly you have alnico 3 magnets which have a softer attack than clackity alnico 5s.
    5s in the gold 
  • Lebarque said:
    All depends on your amp.

5s in the gold 
    Poor show :-p
  • Lebarque said:
    All depends on your amp.

5s in the gold 
    Poor show :-p
    Well I still had the avri at the time, so wanted a bit of variation. They still sound great. Probably preferred the 3s by a nose, but the AV65 strips it everywhere else so I’m breezy 
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Well it's official - Wunjo just put the new range on their website

https://www.wunjoguitars.com/shop/fender-3/
    Stop crying, start buying
  • Moss said:

That Meteora is GREAT
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Moss said:

That Meteora is GREAT
    I love it

Would be better with an offset vibrato though
    Stop crying, start buying
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    edited January 2018
    Moss said:
    Moss said:

That Meteora is GREAT
    I love it

Would be better with an offset vibrato though
    And it’s very expensive for MIJ

EDIT: I think it must be US and mislabelled. All the parts seem to be USA. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26973
    Big fan of bound necks with dots, so this is good. Not enough to make me want to buy one to match my MJT though. 

These strat/tele hybrids are interesting...

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires