A bit of help finding a car.

shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
Any car experts on here that can help give a bit of advice? 

I am looking for a new car as I need a bit more space than I currently have (dog & young child taking up all the room). 

My requierments are the following 

Estate or MPV
£1500 max
I do about 12,000 miles a year with a mix of motorway and town driving so petrol or diesel is ok.
I would like it to look relatively smart not too dated (in my opinion things like Saab’s have aged well) as I will use it for work.
As economical as possible (repairs, tax, mpg)

I know it seems like I might be wanting a lot for £1500 but if I get a year or two out of the car I will be happy.

Any advice or ideas of cars or is anyone selling one on here that I might be interested in?

Thanks
Shaun
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12352
    My missus has a 10 year old saab and it has aged well on the outside and is a lovely car to drive.  A few niggles with leaks and stuff but a lot of car for the money.  My car before my current was a VW touran which are the dullest looking cars in the world, but are immensely practical I put a large 2 seater sofa in to take to the tip, 7 seats good to drive nice high up position.  

Bearing in mind you could be looking 10 years plus agewise I would be wary of buying a diesel that age (and I love diesels) as the powers that be that tried to get everyone to buy diesels have now decided diesels are evil and must be taxed to death.

I should add that I am not a car expert!
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    munckee said:
    My missus has a 10 year old saab and it has aged well on the outside and is a lovely car to drive.  A few niggles with leaks and stuff but a lot of car for the money.  My car before my current was a VW touran which are the dullest looking cars in the world, but are immensely practical I put a large 2 seater sofa in to take to the tip, 7 seats good to drive nice high up position.  

Bearing in mind you could be looking 10 years plus agewise I would be wary of buying a diesel that age (and I love diesels) as the powers that be that tried to get everyone to buy diesels have now decided diesels are evil and must be taxed to death.

I should add that I am not a car expert!
    Thank you for the input @munckee ;

Saabs look like a lot of car for the money but as with all things the internet is a minefield. Basically, some say but others say don’t because parts cost so much and are hard to come by. I was thinking a petrol 9-3 would be nice. 

Ive looked at the VW and you are right regarding the styling but with MPV’s I think it’s hard to find a well styled one. I will take a look and see what’s available for the money with them. 

Yes, the diesel thing.... I don’t think my mileage really states that I need one. The increased MPG is handy but would I notice the financial reward over 12,000 miles? Also I’ve been told that petrols are cheaper to maintain at the age group I’d be looking at due to having less to go wrong.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Not the most attractive but the van based MPVs offer a lot of metal for the money. Tend to have fewer features which should be less to go wrong and a limited range of engines which they share with commercial vehicles so spare should be cheap. They also tend to have better head room than standard cars ( well, it’s helpful if you are tall). These are current ones. 

https://vans.honestjohn.co.uk/van-top-10s/top-10-van-based-family-mpvs/?image=7
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    Perhaps not the funkiest or largest of estates, and I don't know where you are but this would tick a lot of boxes 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201712041800410?make=FORD&model=FOCUS&utm_source=Email_a_Friend&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Email_a_friend_car