Things your parents did that left a lasting good impression on you

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
Two for me with my dad. Me + bro and sis were all quite young. My mum could hear a tiny chirping noise, and my dad worked out that a young bird had somehow got trapped in our cavity wall in the sitting room by our fireplace. My dad got some hand tools and laboriously removed about three bricks from our wall, reached in and saved the bird. He then spent another hour fixing the wall again. I just thought that was a lovely thing to do. Also, I remember when my grandma died on my mums side. I had a grandad, a very dour man who was 2nd husband and my mum never got on with him. My dad wasn't a pub goer, but most days he would get home from work, travel right across town, see my grandad and usually take him down the pub for an hour or so. He kept up seeing him a lot until my grandad eventually passed away. My dad said that you have to look after family, and that has always stuck with me.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    edited January 2018
    With my dad it was just he worked like a dog. He was 50 when I was born - he worked as a engineer and did a forthinght on days and a fortnight on nights - and did overtime working alternate Sunday mornings and three nights a week when he was on days. He was almost 67 when he retired - and only lived two years into retirement.

I have the very greatest respect for anyone who has a genuine work ethic...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4086
    There’s a great long list of things I could mention here, but just been watching the news so this one springs to mind...

They taught me about politics - lots of information about left and right, how the parties worked and what their manifestos were.

They did this without any bias (despite their own strong beliefs) and then left me to make up my own mind.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Pretty sure Im living comfortably due to my parents money attitude...plus my dada would never give in all he'd fixed something...Im a lot like that now.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Probably my dad being a workaholic, never switching off. Even on his days off he will do some duties around the house as he just doesn't know how to chill out or put his feet up. Its made me hardworking and a bit obsessed with work, wherever I am.
  • LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
    edited January 2018
    I feel like that flour that goes into cakes because like a cake I'm...
    'Self raised.'
    Born the youngest of 11 in total, my father was a stay at home wife and my mother, a drunken couch potato...
    Here I am, 31 years old now and my parents are still where I left them when I was 19.
    And, they've been that way since I can remember.

But then for it, I'm now a man who nobody can say is a Mamma's Boy...
    I see other men with relationships with their mothers when I visit their outcast daughter/sister, and I'm glad I'm me because clearly, I'm no Mamma's Boy.

I've even had lovers that's reminded me of my mother sometimes in the whole mature aspect and things. It is how it is.
    5reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    I have 7 sisters and 3 brothers so my poor old man had a big family to take on holiday. Going abroad wasn't an option, camping with a caravan would be ideal but you can't put 10 kids in a car and pull a caraven ..... what he really wanted was one of those huge Winniebagos he saw in the films in the seventies like this one 

There was no way he could afford that though so he sod it I'll build my own !! 

So he scraped some dough to together and brought one of these 

Then he worked all the overtime he could and brought one of these 

You can probably guess the rest, in the front garden of a council house he cut the back of the van and cut the front from the caravan 

This was in a age when there was no cordless drills, no mig welders, all he had were basic saws, rivet guns, Black & Decker drills and Yankee screwdrivers. It took him months and months but he built it and then furnished it inside with 10 beds, a small bathroom, tiny kitchen  and even a bath under a large bench seat. Then he MOT'ed it and painted it up to try and look like the real thing .... again by hand as he never had a spray gun

Here it is finished, not the best photo's as the original photos are from 1974 and I only came across them when he died a few months back although I can remember the whole family enjoying holidays in our poor mans Winniebago 

It taught me a lot about determination, learning the ability to learn  and just getting on with things. These days blokes get chuffed if they can service their car themselves, this was a man who built his own Winniebago in the front garden of a council house using DIY tools and a shit load of determination. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 47reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2018
    Also, my family is kinda big for a much more scary and stupid reason.
    Basically, my father, back in the day, was charged with the responsibility of leading his local whatever in the event of a nuclear strike from Russia or whatever if government ever broke down.
    I guess this country needed people like him back in the 1960's to populate like no tomorrow...
    So I'm born in 1986, my oldest sibling/brother was born in early 1960. 
    Making me believe, because of this whole 'what if society falls' business; most people are born out of love, I, ladies and gentleman, was born out of fear.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10643
    Danny1969 said:
    I have 7 sisters and 3 brothers so my poor old man had a big family to take on holiday. Going abroad wasn't an option, camping with a caravan would be ideal but you can't put 10 kids in a car and pull a caraven ..... what he really wanted was one of those huge Winniebagos he saw in the films in the seventies like this one 

There was no way he could afford that though so he sod it I'll build my own !! 

So he scraped some dough to together and brought one of these 

Then he worked all the overtime he could and brought one of these 

You can probably guess the rest, in the front garden of a council house he cut the back of the van and cut the front from the caravan 

This was in a age when there was no cordless drills, no mig welders, all he had were basic saws, rivet guns, Black & Decker drills and Yankee screwdrivers. It took him months and months but he built it and then furnished it inside with 10 beds, a small bathroom, tiny kitchen  and even a bath under a large bench seat. Then he MOT'ed it and painted it up to try and look like the real thing .... again by hand as he never had a spray gun

Here it is finished, not the best photo's as the original photos are from 1974 and I only came across them when he died a few months back although I can remember the whole family enjoying holidays in our poor mans Winniebago 

It taught me a lot about determination, learning the ability to learn  and just getting on with things. These days blokes get chuffed if they can service their car themselves, this was a man who built his own Winniebago in the front garden of a council house using DIY tools and a shit load of determination. 

Brilliant story!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27342
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited January 2018
    Also, my father claims to be the smartest man in England who invented the non inverted photo copier who sold it to Xerox for £30.00 and a cup of coffee in Waterloo Station in the 1960's... and, well, growing up with him, seeing his mind and how he works... I kind of believed it. My father's always been interested in photography and chemicals (like dark room stuff) and as a lad used to develop his own photos and he once told me how he invented it. Before that came along, you would photocopy white paper with black writing, and get a copy that looked like it was black paper with white writing on, for some reason.

He whipped up a cat door bell for our cat out of a doormat and an alarm clock because we had glass doors without anywhere to put a cat flap and... Just like that he built the cat a door bell that worked...
    The cat would want to come in 'the alarm would ring', we would let him in.

but, my father's a Red Ken/Labour/Liberal... Who'd rather do favours under the table than get paid.
    My dad in the 1970's used to knock around with Ken Livingstone and Jeremy Corbyn (small world/smaller London)...
    (Today I vote conservative) but my father has always been an equality no favouritism Liberal who got the same MBTI type as Mother Theresa when I tested him that time.

edited January 2018
    Also, out of all my father's children, he's said and his friend's did too (like local politicians), used to say I'm a chip off the old block, and I can't deny a high IQ, but he used to run around trying to be a rock star too when he was a kid/young man.
    And I would have my own things whatever and come home and he and my mother would say I'm like how he was to their surprise with that.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2014
    Right...

Back to @Danny1969 ;

WOW! Brilliant pics and story. What a guy!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    Thanks @viz and @TTony ;

The photo of the late sixties  \ early seventies Winniebago like my old man wanted didn't come out in my original post so here it is so you can see what he was aiming for 

To be honest I think my dad did a better job 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Wowing @Danny1969 story and that's just fantastic!
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2533
    @Danny1969 What a great thing your Dad did! 
    edited January 2018
    My father taught my oldest full sister (youngest out of 5 in that homestead there) with  a mama and a dada and a maternal nana...
    My father taught my oldest sister music, who in turn taught me and my brothers and sisters too in that house...
    My oldest full sister was great, she used to take care of us too, even though she's only 10 years older than myself/the youngest too..
    My father taught her who taught me, and, I remember, when she was teaching me the F key on the piano when I was like 5 or 6 for London Bridge Is Falling Down being something I remember that I cba to post, for example... My father was there teaching her how to teach me...
    She never taught me guitar, she and my father taught me piano which taught me music. At home/my nan's home, where there's this old piano.
    She was way cool, rock climbing and guitar part wanderlust and immigrated when I was 13 leaving me her guitars... Her guitars became my first, and the guitars I started on.

My father...
    Me...
    What did that man teach me?..
    Hmmm....

Hmmmm............

Drums!..

That's it.

In fact, he makes a thing about this.

His father taught him drumming.
    His grandfather taught his father drumming.
    My father taught me drumming.

Not much needed really, a couple of pens/drum sticks, some hard back books/drum glasses/cymbal and a 5p/5 pence piece.
    ... I was like 8 maybe 9 when I got that lesson.
    Like crosshands and beats per 4 and 8 and 3 and all of that...
    I remember him citing Ringo Starr of The Beatles as a drummer to pay attention to boasting his ability to keep time.

I come from a long line of drummers... and.....
    I play guitar...

But ever since jamming/rocking to the guitar, I just hone in to the beat first, even though I'm a guitarist, - I do come from a long line of drummers... 

My father let me know I could do this when I was like 8 or 9..

As far as not being a drummer, but a guitarist, I'm the first, but that said, guitar wouldn't be guitar with out it's timing, so, love that.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Danny1969 that's an incredible personal account that's genuinely moving. Worthy of a book or film.
    It's not a competition.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4901
    Two quite remarkable stories in this thread.

• westwest Frets: 994
    They fuck you up, your mum and dad.
    They may not mean to, but they do.
    They fill you with the faults they had
    And add some extra, just for you.

But they were fucked up in their turn
    By fools in old-style hats and coats,
    Who half the time were soppy-stern
    And half at one another's throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
    It deepens like a coastal shelf.
    Get out as early as you can,
    And don't have any kids yourself........
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom