REFUND!!

What's Hot
SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
Hi Guys,

I bought some running shoes today at a price that was pretty good for a high street shop

However, when they started to take a look at my feet to make recommendations, I noticed a sign in the corner of my eye that said: 

"we charge £20 to analyse your foot, but this fee is waived if you buy our shoes and this is because of customers then going to buy elsewhere"

I was annoyed that I wasn't told this up front and then felt under pressure to buy and the advice was nothing that I didn't know already, although they actually incorrectly advised me to go a size down

I'm going to return the shoes tomorrow to either go a size up, or to get a refund, but I imagine that they will bring up the £20 fee

What's my standing point? Can you actually charge me an extra £20 for just asking a sales assistant??

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited January 2018
    The reason for buying in a shop is that you get to physically try before you buy, and get the benefit of advice from "experts". 

I'd say they don't have a leg to stand on, sign or no sign. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Was this clearly explained to you by the shop assistant?

I think the above is irrelevant as clearly you have the wrong sized shoes so they failed to analyse your feet properly and have therefore failed to provide you with a level of service that justifies a £20 charge. You could then point out it wasn't clearly explained and that you'll take the matter to trading standards and post on social media warning others about the shop's trading practices.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    You said they started to look at your feet and make recommendations... and the sign said “analyse”? Did they measure your foot for length, depth and width. Did they check to see if you need in soles or some sort of posture correcting soles? Did they explain that they charge for this prior to actually analysing your feet? 

Im guessing not. In which case get your full refund and never go back. Their sign said about going to purchase the same item elsewhere? So they’re not selling a unique, hand made shoe? This is  branded stock they’re selling? How were they going to extract the £20 from you if after 30 mins you left with nothing?

Nutters. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    lonestar said:
    You said they started to look at your feet and make recommendations... and the sign said “analyse”? Did they measure your foot for length, depth and width. Did they check to see if you need in soles or some sort of posture correcting soles? Did they explain that they charge for this prior to actually analysing your feet? 

Im guessing not. In which case get your full refund and never go back. Their sign said about going to purchase the same item elsewhere? So they’re not selling a unique, hand made shoe? This is  branded stock they’re selling? How were they going to extract the £20 from you if after 30 mins you left with nothing?

Nutters. 

It definitely wasn't something I expected to come across - Basically they watched me run up and down the shop, measured my feet (incorrectly) and made me stand on a plastic board that then showed a heat print of my feet, but I wear prescribed insoles from the NHS and I told them all this.

I've been to a shop in Cardiff where they did the same, but it was free and the sales assistants job to advise (as you would get in a music store).

I guess I like the shoe, but it wasn't a pleasant customer experience and if I do decide on a refund, I'll kick up a fuss to what the tune Fretwired mentioned.

Thanks Guys.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Unless you actually walked in and said “I’m here to buy and pair of shoes and get your amazing £20 foot analysing service” I don’t see how the fuck they’d be able to charge you £20 for anything. I wonder how many poor buggers they’ve tried to fleece over the years with that. 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6874
    If I walked into a shop and had some chump with a fetish start checking my plates of meat out, I’d have probably called the cops. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Unless they carried out a detailed X-Ray of your foot it can't be called an 'analysis'.
    Are they qualified medical practitioners?
    They're having a laugh.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13939

So you paid for the foot analysis? and it was itemised on the receipt? It could be argued that you accepted the service as billed.

Did you try the shoes on in the shop and were you satisfied? Why didn't you raise concern over the £20 at the time?

The shop is not obliged to refund you but may offer an exchange and they may not offer to refund the foot analysis.

Decide what outcome you want and negotiate politely, would be my advice to get a satisfactory conclusion.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    Also worth remembering they don't have any obligation to give you a refund at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    it's an odd situation but TBH I would expect that service to be one the shop should provide FOC. When I bought my fiddle a few years ago, the lady who ran the place (wasn't really a shop, it was a shed in her back garden but you get the idea) took a good hour fitting me with a shoulder and chin rest. This wasn't charged for, and I wouldn't expect to pay for the service, however from her POV she took a risk that she did all that, only to have me bugger off and buy the the stuff online for less (she does charge RRP, so is generally more than an internet seller).
    Likewise when I wanted to upgrade my bow, she lent me 3 to try at home that were chosen from about 8 we tried in her workshop. Again, she took the risk that I'd buy them elsewhere. 
    Obviously I want to encourage local businesses as much as I can, so would never do that to her, but I can see why the shop would charge for a service (though from the sounds of it, they didn't actually provide that service). It is a risk to them.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    When I went to a running shop, they only charged for the gait analysis where they get you to run on a treadmill and analyse the results which I why I went there in the first place, not sure why anyone would pay £20 for to see what size shoe you are.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I'm confused, you didn't actually get charged the £20, you just paid for the shoes...but you now want to return the shoes and you're expecting them to try and backcharge you the £20....but that hasn't actually happened. Is that right?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    edited January 2018
    If you didn't pay for the foot analysis during the original visit and you don't have a receipt for this service then I doubt they can charge you for it now by way of a reduced discount. The way you have explained the wording of their sign suggests that you're meant to pay for the analysis first and then if you buy shoes they take that £20 off the shoe price.

That's how CarpetRight do it, I paid £20 deposit to take a couple of samples home and when I took them back and placed the carpet order they took the £20 off.

It sounds like this didn't happen in your case. Someone measured your feet, you weren't charged for that and then you bought some shoes. 
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    bobblehat said:
    Also worth remembering they don't have any obligation to give you a refund at all.
    If they recommended the shoes and they aren't fit for purpose, the customer has every right.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Guitar shop owner: "I'm fed up of these buggers who come and play our guitars then go and buy online to save a few quid"

Shop Assistant: "I know, let's charge them £20 to play our guitars. Refundable if they buy the guitar"

Guitar Shop Owner: "So instead of coming in and playing our guitars, now they just won't come in at all."

Shop Assistant: "Then I'll have nobody to show off my skilz to :("
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7323
    Which shop is it? This is exactly the kind of thing I enjoy arguing about.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11292
    DefaultM said:
    Which shop is it? This is exactly the kind of thing I enjoy arguing about.
    Oh no it isn't.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Dredging up my contract law ......

The sign is evidence of terms and conditions of contract and as long as its reasonably visible, it stands. Same as terms and conditions on a private car park.

They will argue that you entered into a contract to buy the shoes under those terms and conditions.

However, they are in breach of the terms, as they failed in their fulfilment by fitting you incorrectly - contract fails, refund is due, in total.

I think!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    Threaten to go to the Daily Mail if they don't refund in full.
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1795
    How about giving the shop the benefit of the doubt and asking for your refund first before storming in with flaming pitchforks. They probably use the analysis fee as a way of dissuading pisstakers and are highly unlikely to charge you in retrospect.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom