Best road you’ve driven/ridden.

What's Hot

Comments

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2553
    edited January 2018
    gubble said:

The A18 from Ramsey Hairpin until you get to Creg Ny Baa.

It's even better when the road is closed to two way traffic or closed to the public all together

Ah yes. I went there in 2012 and 2014. The mountain is majestic. I got a decent pace going but nothing like the real heroes. Also rode the Nordschleife, only once though, but I’ve been to the Eifel region 5 times. Some of the roads around Nurburg are nearly as good. Although this thread started with my love of the Sustan I’m beginning to realise I’ve managed to ride some equally amazing roads. I remembered another, the B500 in Germany. Your replies are great and giving me ideas. Keep ‘em coming
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FatPeteFatPete Frets: 683
    Somebody already mentioned the Pacific Highway, but I'll add that as my cheesiest driving experience. Sunset, somewhere north of San Luis Obispo, and what comes on the only crappy AM radio station I could get? The Beach Boys, naturally. I don't think you could get more corny, but it had me grinning from ear to ear.
    Trading feedback: Trading feedback
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31577
    Too many bike memories to list really, but the Cevennes stand out, as does Fort William to Mallaig, practically any biking in India is memorable, and some beautiful roads around where I live in Wales too. 

Sometimes it's just everything clicking on a particular day, whether it's pottering around hidden Dorset villages on an old BSA, or 100mph sweeping bends around a lake in Northern Italy, it has as much to do with your mood and the weather as the actual road. 
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4669
    not many better than this one in the UK 

• John_P said:
    The caledonian 500 from inverness up and around the top is a great circuit.   I did it last summer and plan to go back the other way later this year.

https://i.imgur.com/mQ2VkjI.jpg
    I did similar on a Norton Commando many years ago. Up the highest metalled road surface in the UK and down again to Applecross was the best bit.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    Dominic said:
    gubble said:

The A18 from Ramsey Hairpin until you get to Creg Ny Baa.

It's even better when the road is closed to two way traffic or closed to the public all together :)

Mad Sunday ? I thought I could ride pretty well and was a track day hero until I got behind some of these guys and realised I am a gutless wimp with no real skill at all !

Never done mad sunday, in all the years I've been I've kept away from it on that day. I worked there for the TT & MGP for several years doing the spectator sound so had the chance to see and do some rather interesting things whilst there. I think making the whole mountain section one way for the full two weeks was a great idea and hopefully cut down on the number of accidents.

I know exactly what you mean about some of the guys on the road. You think you're blatting along the mountain at a crazy pace then out of nowhere a Honda VTR appears from nowhere next to you then vanishes into the distance making you feel like you're riding like a granny.

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    Great Ocean Road, Victoria, Oz. Fairly spectacular even in a rented Daewoo shitbox.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Ocean_Road
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    Sea View Drive. That's where my house is. I hate driving and am always glad to be home.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Its not a drive as such, but the road through Winnat's Pass in Castleon is very spectcular.

AS are Honister & Kirkstone passes in Cumbria.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    (1) Sky road at Clifden, Galway.  A short drive that you won't forget.

(2) The coast road around Achill.  Ditto.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616

Cat and Fiddle?
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549

The A75 through southern France is pretty brilliant. Toll free as well apart from the bridge at Millau.

Also, always take the A16 to Paris instead of the A1 - much prettier.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2583
    Alnico said:

Cat and Fiddle?
    Bealach Na Ba I think. Great ride. The North Coast 500 thing has been great for tourism, however the roads are a lot busier and have lost a bit of that sense of remoteness and isolation, which is thing that drew me to them in the first place.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12352
    Favourite walking location north coast cliff path on cornwall, cycling I regularly go over portsdown hill in hampshire where you can see three cities plus the isle of wight and the south downs.  Driving is a single track road off of portsdown hill called Nine Elms Lane.  Has a small hump back bridge in the middle, when we were teenagers (many years ago) there used to be a local competition to see who could take it the fastest and jump the other side.  Stupidly dangerous great fun.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2583
    edited January 2018
    Actually maybe it's not...

ETA: Changed my mind again - it is...
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4669
    ewal said:
    Alnico said:

Cat and Fiddle?
    Bealach Na Ba I think. Great ride. The North Coast 500 thing has been great for tourism, however the roads are a lot busier and have lost a bit of that sense of remoteness and isolation, which is thing that drew me to them in the first place.
    correct you go straight to the top of the class @ewal ;
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Cycling Sa Calobra in Majorca was fun, Bealach Na Ba on a touring bike was exhilarating but trying to ride Hard Knott pass on the Fred is something i will never forget
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
    B3357 between Dartmeet and Two Bridges then turn off towards Poundsgate. Such a beautiful landscape to look at after you've been elevated up high and see for miles then slowly decend before turning off and being elevated again to see more moors and animals.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11292
    Ruta 40 in South AMerica.

Some amazing scenery along the way.
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    my wife WAS scared of flying so we did the WHOLE of the coastline of Scotland AND Ireland in the '90's. Took a good few visits to complete so had to cut through the 'interior' to pick up where we had left of - great memories.
    (1) Sky road at Clifden, Galway.  A short drive that you won't forget.

(2) The coast road around Achill.  Ditto.
    yup
    spent a week at the annual
    Trad music Fest - stayed in Mickie & Marys guest house and were treated like family.
     as for a 'great road to drive' or rather ride - Inverness to Ullapool on a big Suzuki GS in Autumn when it was quiet , dry and good surface back then, - superb.
    And yeah - the road to Applecross