Mini projector for bass-drum logo?

What's Hot
TrudeTrude Frets: 914
My band are in the process of deciding on a new logo for our bass drum head.  Lots of possible designs on the table, and we can't quite decide.

Bearing in mind how projector tech has improved and miniaturised in recent years, we were thinking about having a plain white skin, with a mini projector placed close to the front of the drum, so we can change the logo when we fancy.  I know there are mini projectors for mobile phones etc that can throw a reasonable image at very close range to the screen/wall.  Not sure if they'd be bright enough for gig conditions though.

Does anyone know if this would be feasible?  Looking for specific product recommendations ideally.
Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Had a quick google they are very expensive and I expect they won’t last long on a gig either kicked dropped or trod on or shaken to bits!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    The bloke across the street put a small projector in his front garden as part of his Christmas light display - it projects swirly green snowmen and such onto the cladding on the front of his house.

I'd guess it's 12 volt and not very expensive - you'd just need to get inside it to be able to project your own image(s).

I'll ask him where he got it if you like?

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Nitefly said:
    The bloke across the street put a small projector in his front garden as part of his Christmas light display - it projects swirly green snowmen and such onto the cladding on the front of his house.

I'd guess it's 12 volt and not very expensive - you'd just need to get inside it to be able to project your own image(s).

Someone down the road from us did that, surprisingly impressive. 
    Starting to wonder about using one to project behind the band  ( although not snowmen). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Lol. The very thought of putting a small low voltage box on the floor of a stage begging to get stomped on.. 

Oh, hang on...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Nitefly said:

They were available in Asda before Christmas, not expensive if I remember..
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    LuttiS said:
    Nitefly said:

You can’t create your own images  as far as I can see, not sure why I’d want sweetcorn or ghosts or Santa behind the band. Still might have a look in Asda to see if they’ve got one on sale... :skull: 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Change the band’s name to sweetcorn, or ghosts. Santa might not be such a good idea as you’ll upset all the dyslexics in the bible belt.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10397
    @Trude ;

No experience in small projectors but for any stick on graphics or permanent bass drum head graphics check out Jimi Turner's Drum By Design on Facebook, He does great graphics work for drums, is a drummer (in one of my bands ) and works locally in Waterlooville 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    So, I guess this is the kind of thing I'm thinking of:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smartphone-Projector-Artlii-Projectors-connect-1-Yellow/dp/B06XH3VD4G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515191957

So for £40 it can project directly off an SD card, with a 24" image at a distance of 80cm.  Worth a try, no?
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16654
    LuttiS said:
    Nitefly said:

You can’t create your own images  as far as I can see, not sure why I’d want sweetcorn or ghosts or Santa behind the band. Still might have a look in Asda to see if they’ve got one on sale... :skull: 
    No, but it will be simple tech creating the image so potentially an easy mod with some black card and an exacto knife

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    Trude said:
    So, I guess this is the kind of thing I'm thinking of:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smartphone-Projector-Artlii-Projectors-connect-1-Yellow/dp/B06XH3VD4G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515191957

So for £40 it can project directly off an SD card, with a 24" image at a distance of 80cm.  Worth a try, no?
    Yes!