Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

McMafia

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    in an interview with he author Misha Glenny, he did state that the 'Mc' is a reference to McDonalds  - ie that you now get the same  franchised setups running the same way with same delivery in every country you go...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    57Deluxe said:
    in an interview with he author Misha Glenny, he did state that the 'Mc' is a reference to McDonalds  - ie that you now get the same  franchised setups running the same way with same delivery in every country you go...
    That was explained in EP2 ... franchising the movement of drugs etc along the same lines as McDonalds.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    rsvmark said:
    Saw a headline today that it's ruffled a few feathers in the Russian Embassy....
    It also fucked off the Israelis because they’ve done their whole chip on shoulder thing. 
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Danny1969 said:
    Fretwired said:
    Zoolooter said:
    The lead actor has zero charisma. Totally unbelievable, in fact so is his dad. but definitely see that he has a place in something from Jane Austen, or the like. Just miscast in this particular role. Terrible racial stereotypes as well. Pretty awful stuff.
    I think that's the point - he's meant to appear clinical and cold.  You're meant to question his character and ask yourself if there is something more going on with him.  
    It is the point. He's supposed to be a fish out of water - his family are gangsters whereas he's just a banker leading a normal upper middle class life with his girlfriend. Watch what happens next ....
    This is essentially  the same beginnings as The Godfather 
    Yes, I understand the whole fish out of water, he's just a fund manager, etc. Someone earlier succinctly described him as wooden. Not seeing much of the Godfather in this one, maybe because it starred Pacino, de Niro and Brando oozing charisma in every frame.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    57Deluxe said:
    Is OK is a bit 'Eastern Promises'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Promises

That's giving it too much praise imo. Pretty weak writing and characterisation. I was disappointed, as I really enjoyed the first episode, but it went on the slide after uncle Boris died.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1381
    Garthy said:
    rsvmark said:
    Saw a headline today that it's ruffled a few feathers in the Russian Embassy....
    It also fucked off the Israelis because they’ve done their whole chip on shoulder thing. 
    Outstanding work. 2 squeaky clean regimes
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12352
    I agree with the godfather similarities.  His wooden demeanour has been explained so far that even close family can't read him. Even though he is essentially a fish out of water the fact he is related to his dad and Boris and is learning martial arts suggests he has a bit of metal about him.  He does look physically like a royal though, he has the horsey faced upper class incest look about him.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    gusman2x said:
     but it went on the slide after uncle Boris died.
    anyone recognise Boris?? - - He was the dodgy geeze (Puss) in Top of The Lake 2 China Girl

https://www.foxtel.com.au/content/dam/foxtel/watch/shows/top-of-the-lake/david-dencik.png

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12352
    I wonder what the craic is with the kidnapped Russian girl and your man who drives the cars for Semiyon?  I bet he'll feel sorry for her and try to rescue her and kill Semiyon.  
    I thought Semiyon would find out they have been talking and kill him in front of the banker and he will realise what he's like and he will kill Semiyon.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    57Deluxe said:
    gusman2x said:
     but it went on the slide after uncle Boris died.
    anyone recognise Boris?? - - He was the dodgy geeze (Puss) in Top of The Lake 2 China Girl

https://www.foxtel.com.au/content/dam/foxtel/watch/shows/top-of-the-lake/david-dencik.png

Yeah, he definitely seems to have cornered the market in playing whiney sleazebags.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    Zoolooter said:
    Danny1969 said:
    Fretwired said:
    Zoolooter said:
    The lead actor has zero charisma. Totally unbelievable, in fact so is his dad. but definitely see that he has a place in something from Jane Austen, or the like. Just miscast in this particular role. Terrible racial stereotypes as well. Pretty awful stuff.
    I think that's the point - he's meant to appear clinical and cold.  You're meant to question his character and ask yourself if there is something more going on with him.  
    It is the point. He's supposed to be a fish out of water - his family are gangsters whereas he's just a banker leading a normal upper middle class life with his girlfriend. Watch what happens next ....
    This is essentially  the same beginnings as The Godfather 
    Yes, I understand the whole fish out of water, he's just a fund manager, etc. Someone earlier succinctly described him as wooden. Not seeing much of the Godfather in this one, maybe because it starred Pacino, de Niro and Brando oozing charisma in every frame.
    The similarity with The Godfather is that Al Pacino came back to his family squeaky clean and idealistic after his war service and gradually assimilated into the mafia. 

We can see Godman in a similar position. 
  • So it's not about the Scottish branch of the Mafia?