Potentiometer Sizes

What's Hot
Hey all,
So I am currently in the middle of repainting and retrofitting a squier strat with nicer gear. I've bought all new electrics - pickups, pots, switch, wire - and I was about to install the pots when I realised they didn't fit in my pickguard. The holes were too small, and I discovered that the stock pots were a smaller diameter than the CTS pots I was installing. I found out that the new CTS ones were 9.5mm but I don't have any .5mm drill bits to widen the existing holes. Would a 10mm bit work, or would that open the hole too much? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27455
    A reamer would do the job - and keep the hole centres more or less in the right places too.  Simple hand tool job.

If the pot shafts are 9.5mm diameter, the washers and nuts should be plenty big enough to mask a hole thats 0.5mm oversize, but doing that with a drill would be difficult to keep the centres spot on.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1238
    The CTS ones would be designed to fit a 3/8" (9.525mm) hole.
    Reamer would be the safest option, as opening up a holes in flat plate with drills by fractional sizes is likely to lead to tears.
    Other options is some patience, a vice, and a round file.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    The original holes will be 8mm, this is standard for far-east pots. US-made pots are 3/8”.

As already said the right tool for this is a taper reamer - they aren’t very expensive and are useful for several jobs you’re likely to come across when you work on guitars, so worth having.

(They’re especially useful for a trick method of tightening the jack on something like a 335!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    As an aside, a cheapo set of imperial drill bits for future guitar work might be a good idea.  :)
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Reamers are so cheap on eBay and work perfectly. I enlarged a hole on the body of one of my guitars and it took about 10 secs.