Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Les Paul Studio v Standard

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
Much difference in tone or is it just aesthetics?

What are current 2017 / 18 Studio models like?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    weight, aesthetics but sound is often better on a Studio as that is what they were designed for - optimum studio weapons...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    57Deluxe said:9
    weight, aesthetics but sound is often better on a Studio as that is what they were designed for - optimum studio weapons...
    I don't think that's correct. Studios are stripped down versions that bring a good quality L.P. into the budget of folk that can't meet the higher cost of standards and customs.  And just like any L.P. there will be some that play and sound better than others. Having said that the later studios have coil taps that add versatility. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I thought that it's just that the studio isn't as fancy looking because no one sees you in the studio anyway; didn't think it would be any better sound.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Yep, Studios are just stripped back standards - no binding, tops not as highly flamed, Gibson logo is a decal rather than inlaid into the headstock etc. etc. 
    edited January 2018
    When comparing the models of LPs there seems to be quite a big price hike compared to how much extra you're getting.

Going down another step to the tribute and it loses neck binding and glossy finish but that takes the price down by 400 quid which seems a lot.

Going from the tribute to the standard is a huge price increase seemingly to look a bit fancier?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Different neck profile.  Most studios have the horrible "Slim Taper" neck profile, as do most of Gibson's other budget offerings.
    crunchman said:
    Different neck profile.  Most studios have the horrible "Slim Taper" neck profile, as do most of Gibson's other budget offerings.
    It's personal preference though, isn't it? Rather than everyone preferring the rounded but settling for slim taper to save money?
  • Look at classic and traditional for the steps between studio and standard, that'll fill in the blanks

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5416
    crunchman said:
    The Standard is still slim taper, just asymmetrical. 

The Traditional has the fattest neck on a “budget” Gibson but they ain’t so cheap anymore either... £2k list now I think. I’d rather save up and buy a used R*. 
  • I strongly prefer the slim neck. The fat neck is uncomfortable to me. There was a time a few years ago where it was hard to get many 60’s neck Gibson’s but it seems like there’s been more choice in recent times
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited January 2018
    Look at classic and traditional for the steps between studio and standard, that'll fill in the blanks
    The old Trad Pros were a great deal.

Badically a Trad with a gloss top but satin back and sides, locking tuners, and pickups with coil splits and 500k pots. They did some colours with 60’s necks and some with 50’s. They were more expensive than a studio but less than a Trad or Standard.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Les Paul Studios should be seen as a different guitar in their own right, they don’t sound like a Les Paul Standard or Trad etc, the body is thinner and they do have a different sound, slightly pusher and more forward in nature
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Studio is just a name. Nothing to do with "the studio" - you can use anything in the studio, as I'm sure you're aware.

To me, all it signifies is a very cheap-looking guitar that has precisely none of the aesthetic appeal of a proper LP because it doesn't have binding. Presumably because if they made it look half-decent, they wouldn't sell enough expensive guitars.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited January 2018
    Bucket said:
    Studio is just a name. Nothing to do with "the studio" - you can use anything in the studio, as I'm sure you're aware.

To me, all it signifies is a very cheap-looking guitar that has precisely none of the aesthetic appeal of a proper LP because it doesn't have binding. Presumably because if they made it look half-decent, they wouldn't sell enough expensive guitars.
    It’s arguably a smarter business plan than Fender who do near identical looking instruments regardless of the price bracket. There’s less incentive to ‘upgrade’ that way 

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    I've had a number of LP's and they've all been great. One of my favourite's was an LP faded. It was a lot lighter than the standards but came with burstbuckers. It sounded great.

The standard studios aren't any different to the regular guitars in my opinion. 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    daveyh said:
    I have a 2001 Studio, and its the best LP I’ve owned by a mile.
    Best sounding? 
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    johnl said:
    Yep, Studios are just stripped back standards - no binding, tops not as highly flamed, Gibson logo is a decal rather than inlaid into the headstock etc. etc. 

Its like asda's "no frills" for LP's...dat's all.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom