Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Les Paul Studio v Standard

What's Hot

Comments

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Fuengi said:
    daveyh said:
    I have a 2001 Studio, and its the best LP I’ve owned by a mile.
    Best sounding? 

he's only ever had 1 though and that was an Epi. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 681
    Fuengi said:
    daveyh said:
    Best sounding? 
    Sounding and playing
    siraxeman said:
    Fuengi said:
    daveyh said:
    Best sounding? 

he's only ever had 1 though and that was an Epi. ;)
    My first LP was a standard in 1987. Does that count?
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    Les Paul threads on here are like episodes of the Crown when they are talking about some upstart commoner ;)
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Since I'm recently getting interested in Gibson after being interested in the slightly more confusing Fender range, I wonder how people feel about the relative quality across the range.

Is it just the specs that change from the tribute to the studio to the standard or the quality control too? I know people say all Gibson tend to be hit or miss.

With the Fender range the specs can be the same on 2 differently priced guitars but people generally think the quality gets higher as the guitar gets more expensive.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    sweepy said:
    Les Paul Studios should be seen as a different guitar in their own right, they don’t sound like a Les Paul Standard or Trad etc, the body is thinner and they do have a different sound, slightly pusher and more forward in nature
    Really I thought the dimensions were exactly the same? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    thegummy said:
    Since I'm recently getting interested in Gibson after being interested in the slightly more confusing Fender range, I wonder how people feel about the relative quality across the range.

Is it just the specs that change from the tribute to the studio to the standard or the quality control too? I know people say all Gibson tend to be hit or miss.

With the Fender range the specs can be the same on 2 differently priced guitars but people generally think the quality gets higher as the guitar gets more expensive.
    The quality control bothers me. The first ever Gibson LP I looked at - probably 5 years ago in Nevada Music - was really shoddy, and put me right off. 

Since then I've heard about snapped headstocks, electronics that go wrong and nobody can fix (automatic tuners!) plus they all weigh a ton. 

But... I had a quick play on a LP Studio the other day and it felt great. 

• Adam_MD said:
    sweepy said:
    Les Paul Studios should be seen as a different guitar in their own right, they don’t sound like a Les Paul Standard or Trad etc, the body is thinner and they do have a different sound, slightly pusher and more forward in nature
    Really I thought the dimensions were exactly the same? 
    Pretty sure they’re thinner than Standards but happy to be corrected.

They definitely have a shallower, less-dished top-carve though. For a long time they were made with 2-pc backs too, whereas the standards were 1-pc until ~05ish.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Voxman said:
    57Deluxe said:9
    weight, aesthetics but sound is often better on a Studio as that is what they were designed for - optimum studio weapons...
    I don't think that's correct. Studios are stripped down versions that bring a good quality L.P. into the budget of folk that can't meet the higher cost of standards and customs.  And just like any L.P. there will be some that play and sound better than others. Having said that the later studios have coil taps that add versatility. 
    I owned a standard and a studio at the same time with the same pickups (498T and 490R) and the tone was identical. I played live with the Studio and it sounded great. I stupidly sold it. Great guitar. The Studio is cheaper as it doesn't have the expensive hand finishing and binding found on a standard.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Pretty sure they’re thinner than Standards but happy to be corrected.

They definitely have a shallower, less-dished top-carve though. For a long time they were made with 2-pc backs too, whereas the standards were 1-pc until ~05ish.
    Wow I genuinely never noticed they were thinner .  I’ve never owned a studio but I’ve played a few of the 90s ones with ebony fretboards.  
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Only @ 3 or 4 mm thinner than a Standard or Trad but it makes a difference
  • nick_snick_s Frets: 138
    I've owned both, and still own a Studio.

I prefer the neck on the Studio (my Standard had the big fat 50's profile).
    I prefer the sound of the Standard (Burstbucker Pro v 498T/490R)
    I prefer the looks of the Standard (Heritage Cherry on AAA Flame top v bog standard white)

In other words, it's horses for courses :) 
    - Shine On You Crazy Diamond -
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 252
    Wolfetone said:
    I've had a number of LP's and they've all been great. One of my favourite's was an LP faded. It was a lot lighter than the standards but came with burstbuckers. It sounded great.

The standard studios aren't any different to the regular guitars in my opinion. 
    I agree, i've had a Faded for a year now and its ace, it's the only LP i've owned BUT i have played lots, and in my opinion the Faded can stick with any of them for playability and sound. 
    nick79 said:
    Wolfetone said:
    I've had a number of LP's and they've all been great. One of my favourite's was an LP faded. It was a lot lighter than the standards but came with burstbuckers. It sounded great.

The standard studios aren't any different to the regular guitars in my opinion. 
    I agree, i've had a Faded for a year now and its ace, it's the only LP i've owned BUT i have played lots, and in my opinion the Faded can stick with any of them for playability and sound. 
    Unless you own a more expensive model, then you’ll argue that they cant be as good because of the price.

my son has 2013 faded with P90s and that is stunning. Cheaper? Definitely? Not as good because of that. Most definitely not,
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    I was always under the impression that due to the way Gibson's manufacturing process works, the various guises of Les Paul are basically the same wood stock, build and carve process, and setup, with choice of hardware and adornments/finish being the differentiator.

I am thus not surprised that the cheapest LPs rate just as well as players as the most expensive - until you jump to the custom shop..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If you're talking Gibson guitars I only have ever owned a studio, but I like how it plays. Its also quite light so it doesn't do my back in after long set. I did play a few standards prior to getting the studio but I didn't like the way they sounded for some reason, maybe it was the amp I played it through, the set up or stock pickups, I don't know. The Studio was a lot cheaper as well but by no means a scrimp on the sound result.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    I was always under the impression that due to the way Gibson's manufacturing process works, the various guises of Les Paul are basically the same wood stock, build and carve process, and setup, with choice of hardware and adornments/finish being the differentiator.

I am thus not surprised that the cheapest LPs rate just as well as players as the most expensive - until you jump to the custom shop..
    I don't think so.

As previously mentioned the Studios have a thinner body than a Standard and a less carved top which are obvious money savers compared to the Standard models so the manufacturing process would be different.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Neil said:

I don't think so.

As previously mentioned the Studios have a thinner body than a Standard and a less carved top which are obvious money savers compared to the Standard models so the manufacturing process would be different.
    Sorry, I meant as in same people, same tools same wood stock - like an SG or other US Gibson. 
  • humbuckohumbucko Frets: 179
    I've had a Studio since 2003, my first 'serious' guitar... and while in theory it sounds as good as any LP Standard out there, I can't stress enough how important the look or feel of a guitar is to how you make it sound. My LP Studio was great but its bland/unfinished look turned me off after a while... and there's no worse sounding guitar than one that doesn't at all inspire you to play it, or play it well. Fast forward a decade and I bought myself a 52 AVRI Telecaster and while you would expect it to sound better than the Studio given its a top range model, the biggest difference is that its a guitar that inspires me to play and play well.

Just my two cents - with regards to sound, looks can count for a LOT more than you might think  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    humbucko said:
    I've had a Studio since 2003, my first 'serious' guitar... and while in theory it sounds as good as any LP Standard out there, I can't stress enough how important the look or feel of a guitar is to how you make it sound. My LP Studio was great but its bland/unfinished look turned me off after a while... and there's no worse sounding guitar than one that doesn't at all inspire you to play it, or play it well. Fast forward a decade and I bought myself a 52 AVRI Telecaster and while you would expect it to sound better than the Studio given its a top range model, the biggest difference is that its a guitar that inspires me to play and play well.

Just my two cents - with regards to sound, looks can count for a LOT more than you might think  :)
    No word of a lie, I think you've just single handedly cost me 650 quid with that post :)

Will confirm in the next week or so.