On my second eBay ban...

What's Hot
A seller suggested I send him some information, to which I replied ‘will do’ and I’m now banned for 7 days.  I’ve already loaded up the app a dozen times before remembering...!

I’m thinking I need to arrange a perma-ban for the sake of my bank balance.
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ClashmanClashman Frets: 175
    I used to be a regular in the Ebay help forum many moons ago.I once organised and went on a round the
    World Ebay trip visiting various Ebay forums round the World it was a race who could post first in the Country
    I named.Best forum fun I ever had but not been on for years now
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Someone asked me last week if they could come and try an amp , and would I take cash for it ?.....I had to kindly remind them of the Ebay rules, Ive already had a temp ban .

So there is no try before you buy option at all as you can't exchange any info, everything is sold as described. 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I picked up a Ritchie Blackmore strat last week 

I asked a general question and the seller replied with his address included via pm and said he’d knock money off for a cash deal 

24hrs later eBay has banned him for 7 days and threatened be with a warning that they’d ban me too. He couldn’t care less and neither could I

Fuck eBay and what has become the eBay/PayPal cartel 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    I've seen phone numbers recently in ebay listings
    is that allowed now?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I've seen phone numbers recently in ebay listings
    is that allowed now?
    No...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • ^ ^ how long has it not been allowed?  I bought a motorbike off evilBay in March and the last line was "Any questions ask 0787 blah-blah"

As the price seemed a bit low, I only contacted the seller through eBay and paid by PayPal, to have a proper record in case of a dispute.   Turns out everything was good, he just put up a half-arsed listing for a good bike.  No wonder nobody called him. :/

• Probably best to not reply or send messages on eBay anymore.  

I wonder if you can change your eBay ID and you could change it to your real name and hope that a potential buyer looks you up on Facebook.  You could set your Facebook profile pic as the same picture of the Guitar you’re selling, kind of like a sign.  
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    FYI I’ve sent my phone number written on a piece of paper as a photo attachment twice now and had no repercussions. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    I gave up on Ebay a while ago. I used to sell a fair amount of stuff on it but then started hearing stories about buyers (almost routinely) moaning just to get a few quid knocked off.

The final straw was when my wife sold a perfectly good vintage bear to some idiot and they complained about the condition which had been accurately described but, it wasn't the complaint as such, it was the abusive language.

I think the Ebay model is getting a little jaded now and people want a less fraught transaction with more security. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Wolfetone said:

I think the Ebay model is getting a little jaded now and people want a less fraught transaction with more security. 
    I'd replace "people" with "sellers". 

I wonder if you can change your eBay ID and you could change it to your real name and hope that a potential buyer looks you up on Facebook.  You could set your Facebook profile pic as the same picture of the Guitar you’re selling, kind of like a sign.  
    Best try that out on Grindr first before trying it on Ebay. 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    I picked up a Ritchie Blackmore strat last week 

I asked a general question and the seller replied with his address included via pm and said he’d knock money off for a cash deal 

24hrs later eBay has banned him for 7 days and threatened be with a warning that they’d ban me too. He couldn’t care less and neither could I

Fuck eBay and what has become the eBay/PayPal cartel 
    Ebay are an auction company, not a small adds board. I think people forget this. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2574
    tFB Trader
    I think businesses may have to have phone contact details and an address shown, I am sure there are credit card rules covering all this stuff for business, so ebay would have to comply
  • I add the line "also advertised locally" in the hope buyers will have the nous to look in Gumtree.
    It's worked so far but I can see Ebay linking the two sites soon. In fact they probably already do via cookie tracking.

Best try that out on Grindr first before trying it on Ebay. 
    That's where I use it already.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    ^ ^ how long has it not been allowed?  I bought a motorbike off evilBay in March and the last line was "Any questions ask 0787 blah-blah"

As the price seemed a bit low, I only contacted the seller through eBay and paid by PayPal, to have a proper record in case of a dispute.   Turns out everything was good, he just put up a half-arsed listing for a good bike.  No wonder nobody called him. :/

I think motors are a classified ad, so there's an upfront fee so ebay don't care about contact details as they've already been paid.
  • I add the line "also advertised locally" in the hope buyers will have the nous to look in Gumtree.
    It's worked so far but I can see Ebay linking the two sites soon. In fact they probably already do via cookie tracking.

They do link the sites. Searching gumtree now shows any local eBay items but only those which are "buy it now". 

I now put advertised elsewhere ...again anyone savvy will search other sale sites.

When I asked about contact details, this was their reply...

Hi! That’s right, it'd violate our contact policy http://ebay.to/2db5jMR  unless the buyer has already committed to pay. You do have choices if the buyer wants to cancel and you can relist the item for another sale. Let us know if you have more questions. ~Laura

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • ^ ^ how long has it not been allowed?  I bought a motorbike off evilBay in March and the last line was "Any questions ask 0787 blah-blah"

I think motors are a classified ad, so there's an upfront fee so ebay don't care about contact details as they've already been paid.
    The one I got was BIN/make offer.  I found it under the BIN tab, which filtered out the classified ads.  I suppose eBay are changing their rules all the time and a lot happens online in 10 months.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Wolfetone said:

I'd replace "people" with "sellers". 
    100% agree