What's Hot
kt66kt66 Frets: 315
edited May 2019 in Guitar
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It's a pretty low rent option, but I've been very happy with my Bad Monkey. It just gives a bit more drive & to my ears works well. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    edited May 2019
    thanks, I am am not a brand snob, happy to look at anything affordable

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72237
    Not sure how well it will work into an AC30, but for the Champ I would look at the Boss Fender Deluxe Reverb pedal. It's discontinued now and may be starting to go up in price, but not all that rare. It does that Fender amp light break-up sound very nicely, which is what I use it for - at home into a non-master-volume valve amp. It also adds reverb and tremolo if you want, which is useful.

They also do a Bassman version which may be better for the AC30, or for both if you don't want the reverb and tremolo.

You don't want a boost pedal, that will just make the amps louder without overdriving them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2464
    edited January 2018
    Try a second hand DOD looking glass, really great transparent drive. I use mine with the gain completely down but with the level knob at 12/1 o’clock.
    https://www.andertons.co.uk/dod-looking-glass-overdrive-dod0010?LGWCODE=DOD0010;56375;6335&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInbHJ7OHF2AIVg7vtCh1y1Ql2EAQYASABEgK3dvD_BwE
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Electro harmonix soul food... basically a klon... they kloned a klon!... does clean boost up to quite gainey... and cheap!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • +1 on the Bad Monkey. I've used it on AC30s and Fender Amps and it's fantastic. It sounds good at any level of gain, but if you want to get a very amp-like light overdrive set the bass and treble on full and the drive almost off. This removes the pedal's mid-hump pretty much, which is good for the AC30 in particular. 

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14176
    edited January 2018 tFB Trader
    my preference is still a ProCo Rat - volume up for boost and gain tweaked as required, but often works best as 'less is more' - I've used 2 x Rats before on the same board - 1 with less gain for more subtle overdrive and 1 with more gain for scorching whaiiiiiling lead then choose as required

Lots of choice I know but Rat for me 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OCD or Rat pedal
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    My stock recommendation for touch sensitive drive - the Mad Professor Sweet Honey. Fuzzdog do a clone called the Bee Juice if you are handy/fancy a project!
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    The Way Huge Red Llama works well with Vox and Fender amps, and is voiced a little on the bright side, so might give you a bit of that bite you're looking for at lower volumes.  Gain range goes from a clean boost to a slightly fuzzy overdrive, so not sure if it's crunchy enough for you.  I wouldn't call it transparent, but it doesn't add much colour other than a slight brightness/presence boost.

I never run the drive control on mine much beyond 12 o'clock, and like this, it's a great drivey boost that doesn't smother your base tone.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    edited January 2018
    rico said:
    My stock recommendation for touch sensitive drive - the Mad Professor Sweet Honey. Fuzzdog do a clone called the Bee Juice if you are handy/fancy a project!
    Lee (fuzzdog) will even build it for you...

bgmartinsbridge
    said:
    OCD or Rat pedal

Folk love those tubescreamers!!! The rat is a great shout tho’...

edited May 2019
    thanks everyone, I'll do some research on the above

edited May 2019
    ICBM said:
    Not sure how well it will work into an AC30, but for the Champ I would look at the Boss Fender Deluxe Reverb pedal. It's discontinued now and may be starting to go up in price, but not all that rare. It does that Fender amp light break-up sound very nicely, which is what I use it for - at home into a non-master-volume valve amp. It also adds reverb and tremolo if you want, which is useful.

They also do a Bassman version which may be better for the AC30, or for both if you don't want the reverb and tremolo.

You don't want a boost pedal, that will just make the amps louder without overdriving them.
    as most of my playing is at home the Champ gets a lot more use.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Nobels ODR-1. This should tell you all you need to know.

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    Tone City Sweet Cream. I have one in the classifieds, or, if you want the boutique option the Sweet Honey (or fuzzdog clone as per above) is a really good option.

i built an Aion Procyon (which is another Honey Bee clone) and love it.
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    Zendrive or a clone is also nice.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30869
    For those amps, you want a Rangemaster style treble boost.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    For those amps, you want a Rangemaster style treble boost.

Wouldn't that be better with the amp breaking up already? Might work with his little Fender but for home use the AC30 will never get in the zone. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31492
    Bucket said:
    Nobels ODR-1. This should tell you all you need to know.

These are fantastic, and cheap. They were the Nashville session player's overdrive of choice for decades, because you can set them to mimic your clean tone and slowly dial in the dirt, without the artificial mid-hump of most overdrives. 

A must-have for black or silverface Fender players. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    p90fool said:
    These are fantastic, and cheap. They were the Nashville session player's overdrive of choice for decades, because you can set them to mimic your clean tone and slowly dial in the dirt, without the artificial mid-hump of most overdrives. 

A must-have for black or silverface Fender players. 
    Indeed. It and my silverface DRRI are best friends.

Especially when the Klon comes out to play as a solo boost...
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."