Iceland!

What's Hot
You may have seen in the Sigur Ros thread that I was in Iceland for NYE. We also did some sightseeing while we were there. What a wonderful place. We'd been before a few years back (before it was popular!) and enjoyed it, but I'm so glad I've seen it in winter. It's just a marvellous place full of great people.

Thought I'd share some highlights

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 15reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    Beautiful photos!  Glad to hear you had a great time :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 175
    Too cold for me but nice pictures. =)
  • Ah nice, don't know if you recall but we went up a couple of days before you. we only stayed for 48 hours and didnt stop still much at all whilst we were there. I got some photos that I was pretty happy with but yours are stunning. I hope you enjoyed as much as we did.
    How very rock and roll
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    I love Iceland, went trekking there a while ago. Was dropped off close to middle of country and walked to the coast before other mountain shenanigans. Amazing place, walked over glacier, active lava flow and desert all in the same day.. 

Hope you had a great time! Amazing pictures :)
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    edited January 2018
    I did a job recently where we took a drone racing team to iceland. 

The client decided to fill the film full of phone shots after I left the job. But hey-ho. Still nice to see a 'drones eye view' of the place.

Amazing place. 

skip to 56" - unless you want to know about phone features

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26925
    Cheers all. It was a phenomenal trip. I really didn't want to leave. 

Pro tip - Brennivin is evil. It's not actually unpleasant but leads to drinking the better part of your bodyweight and then passing out, which i'm not normally one for. I'm planning a dry-ish January going forward.

But more useful pro tip... temperatures of -15C cure a hangover pretty damn quick! 
  • wow duly awarded :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Stunning pictures @stickyfiddle ;

We went last year (when it was a little warmer), and it is one of my all time favourite holidays. Apparently a very difficult place to live, but an incredible place to visit. We intended to drive around, but got as far as Hofn, and turned back. There is just so much to see. 

Did you try the Lava bread? How long were you there for?

Some of the waterfalls are just incredible. I think Gulfoss was my favourite.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    Looks lovely - but liked it more when Kerry Katona was doing the ads....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2018
    quarky said:
    Stunning pictures @stickyfiddle ;;;

We went last year (when it was a little warmer), and it is one of my all time favourite holidays. Apparently a very difficult place to live, but an incredible place to visit. We intended to drive around, but got as far as Hofn, and turned back. There is just so much to see. 

Did you try the Lava bread? How long were you there for?

Some of the waterfalls are just incredible. I think Gulfoss was my favourite.

We did gullfoss and the one whose name I don’t know at thingvellir, then the main south coast ones (skogafos and sejalansfos, plus the little extra ones at seljalandsfos). My favourite was definitely the “secret” one at seljalandsfos- you have to walk through a stream in a cave-type opening to get there, balancing on the icy rocks and hoping not to get wet..! I was a little nervous but the American guy in our group went for it so I couldn’t possibly back down. Well worth it :D 

We were there from the 27th to the 4th, with NYE in Reykjavik and trips out either side of that. We were in smaller tour groups with great guides and interesting people, so all good. I don't understand all these huge 40+ people trips. Too many people bustling around you all day and by definition you have no chance of seeing anything without loads of people around. I’d love to have driven (I did last time we went) but wanted to maximise the relaxation while on leave from work! The upside is I could do most of my photo editing in the van each day. 

No lava bread for me as I can’t have wheat, but plenty of fish & lamb. We ate dinner at Ostabúðin in our last night and it was just fabulous. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12347
    Looks a great place to visit. Cracking set of pictures @stickyfiddle ;
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited January 2018
    @stickyfiddle - tune-in late weekday nights to LBC - geeze doesn't shut up about the place...

http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/darren-adam/

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    When we went there I was most excited about the waterfalls but had totally missed that one in my planning. Thankfully we spotted it and parked up to have a close look.

Great photos by the way sir, you certainly know how to capture the mood.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Looks lovely - but liked it more when Kerry Katona was doing the ads....

@richardhomer Isn't that her in the first pic?
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Great pics as always Mike.

I'd love to go back...it'll be 15 years since I was there this October.
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Been twice, and love the place.  Really want to take my boy there one day, hopefully in the not too distant future.

First time was when we flew with IcelandAir to New York.  Flights stopover in Reykjavik, and they allow you to break up the inward/outward journey, so we had a three or four night stop in Iceland, before heading to NYC for another four or five nights (something like that anyway).  Really recommend that as an option if you're keen on going to one or the other.  It wasn't massively more expensive, and one is a great change of pace to the other (whichever way round you do it).

Second time was to go and see The Sugarcubes when they reformed for a one-off show in 2006.  That was amazing.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    edited January 2018
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves the place. I could happily live there, and will definitely visit again - ideally the north coast before that gets as full of tourists as the south.

Also, Reykjavik has a proper music shop. As in old-fashioned sit and drink coffee and let's talk about new music type music shop. I didn't know they still existed *anywhere*

I even bought a woolly jumper this time. It's very warm

And (also) also I now have an ache to learn to play drums, mostly from sitting 15 feet from Orri at the Sigur Ros gig. Absolutley spellbinding drummer.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    The last holiday my wife and i were planning was to Iceland.. We were looking at all the excursions.. Wifey had mentioned previously that she wanted to do the Icelandic pony riding, so i was enquiring if this was still the case.. 

Wife: Not sure that would be best if i was pregnant.
    Me : Well we'll cross that bridge if we come to it, so do you want to do it still?
    Wife: Wouldn't be best for baby if we did that.
    Me: Absolutely, don't think we'd do that if you were pregnant. But for this trip do you want it?

This goes on for longer than i'm proud of until:

Wife: Chris, i'm fucking pregnant. 
    Me: Oooohhhh
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • And (also) also I now have an ache to learn to play drums, mostly from sitting 15 feet from Orri at the Sigur Ros gig. Absolutley spellbinding drummer.
    He’s an absolute monster isn’t he! He was beating the toms with his hands on our night and it was louder than most drummers with sticks! 
    How very rock and roll
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    edited January 2018
    Looks lovely - but liked it more when Boss Katana was doing the ads....
    FTFY

Come on Mr Homer, stay on topic