Identifying 70s DiMarzios?

What's Hot
imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3741
edited January 2018 in Guitar

Can anybody help me with narrowing down what I understand are DiMarzio pickups?  I thought Super Distortions and one of our chaps on here (@SteveRobinson) thought, as they're four-conductor (three coloured cables and a shielded one), thought they might be dual sounds.  However, the rating of them comes out (when using a multimeter on tip-sleeve of a cable) shows around 8.5k each.

Any DiMarzio experts know what they might be?  The base plates aren't original, I believe, which I understand isn't uncommon.

Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    They look like Mighty Mites and not DiMarzio as there are no holes in the bobbins
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Super Distortions would be ~14K.

Calling @TheGuitarWeasel :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepy said:
    They look like Mighty Mites and not DiMarzio as there are no holes in the bobbins
    @sweepy How long have they been in production? These have been in since the eighties at latest. 

My band, Red For Dissent
    Mighty Mites we’re around from the 70’s I had them on my Kawaii and other guitars, DiMarzio pickups always have had holes in the top of rhe bobbins
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    All dimazrios have dimarzio stamped on the baseplates.
    Flip them over, they may even have a DP number that tells you the model.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • I think, @Alegree, that Steve will confirm they're not stamped.

@Sweepy - are they well though-of pickups?  Toying with switching them anyway but keen to know what it has.  Not that they don't sound good, it's that eternal quest of making things as good as they can be...

My band, Red For Dissent
    The old Mighty Mite pickups were pretty good and along with DiMarzio pioneered the aftermarket pickup replacement craze

https://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?262408-Information-on-a-vintage-Mighty-Mite
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16645
    Alegree said:
    Some very early ones don’t have stamps.  The stamp changed a few times, I am sure “Made in USA” was added later and there was an obvious font change

they would have square feet, DP numbers came much later.

there were a few makers doing similar at the time, brain says Schaller are another possibility but I don’t totally trust that memory
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7006
    edited January 2018 tFB Trader
    The baseplates are not stamped. I assumed the baseplates had been replaced as they bobbins were loose and maple spacers missing. 

The reason I thought they were DiMarzio is the 3 conductor cable with the loose braid which is pretty typical of early DiMarzio pickups but from teh images linked to above it looks as if Mighty Mite did too?

@ICBM is pretty knowledgeable about this stuff.
  • They look very much like Mighty Mite 1400s, although not sure about the output. Very close. 

My band, Red For Dissent
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14178
    edited January 2018 tFB Trader
    Mighty Mite 1300 humbuckers had such pole pieces and a 3 conductor + shielding and a similar reading ????? - but appropriate markings on the plate

https://reverb.com/item/1463933-vintage-mighty-mite-mfg-1400-humbucker-pickup-usa-screamer-neck-bridge-8-9-ohms-van-halen-hex-poles
  • @guitars4you Exactly what I thought (they're 1400s).

My band, Red For Dissent
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Another curve-ball... Double Eagle made some very similar pickups in the mid 80s. These were made in the far east to a US design and sold in US (and some EU shops). These were definitely three conductor plus shield (I bought one new from Rokas in London in mid 1986) and sounded pretty good. They too had the double cream bobbins, allen head screws and no holes.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    Another curve-ball... Double Eagle made some very similar pickups in the mid 80s. These were made in the far east to a US design and sold in US (and some EU shops). These were definitely three conductor plus shield (I bought one new from Rokas in London in mid 1986) and sounded pretty good. They too had the double cream bobbins, allen head screws and no holes.
    that was the name I was thinking of but couldn't remember it - I had a double barreled name on the tip of my tongue - knew it wasn't Velvet Hammer, but couldn't recall it - Good find from the back of the cupboard @impmann
    edited January 2018
    Velvet Hammer, bloody hell thats a blast from the past, iirc Holdsworth used them for awhile 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16645
    edited January 2018
    WezV said:

there were a few makers doing similar at the time, brain says Schaller are another possibility but I don’t totally trust that memory
    i think it was gotoh i was thinking of, but a quick search says there super distortion style was 11k and also have holes in the bobbins
    tFB Trader
    sweepy said:
    Velvet Hammer, bloody hell thats a blast from the past, iirc Holdsworth used them for awhile 
    related to MC Hammer I think !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    tFB Trader
    sweepy said:
    Did not realise that EVH was a regular user of various Mighty Mite humbuckers
    EVH Old No1 had a PAF from an old 335 and no I didn’t jknow about his use of MM pickups
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    Alegree said:
    Some very early ones don’t have stamps.  The stamp changed a few times, I am sure “Made in USA” was added later and there was an obvious font change

they would have square feet, DP numbers came much later.

I'm just relaying  what Dimarzio support told me when I was trying to ID some old pickups I suspected of being Dimarzios. 
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk