Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is there a more incredible, beautiful, melodic, soulful solo out there?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22708

I haven't heard much of his music and I'm in no position to criticise, but after reading the "incredible, beautiful, melodic, soulful" description, I wasn't expecting what I heard.  It doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary or anything I haven't heard many times before.

There were bits I liked, bits I didn't like at all.  I do like his guitar playing better than his singing, I must say.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4308

The first part. with the bends and the pauses sounds a little Peter Greenesque.

For me, Peter Green did it a lot better.

Incredible, beautiful, melodic and soulful... Jumping at Shadows live at the Boston Tea Party!

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Fretwired said:
    Sounds like yer average Generic Live Blues solo to me...
    I have to agree and I like Gary Clark Jnr.
    So you are saying there is a more incredible...solo out there?  Or are you saying that blues is just generic?
    There are better solos out there. In fact there are better Gary Clark Jnr solos out there. It wasn't helped with his tone.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I want to hear it but I'm at work! These sort of threads rarely go down well here for some reason. I think we should refer to them as a 'Bucket thread'.
  • CHRISB50 said:

Incredible, beautiful, melodic and soulful... Jumping at Shadows live at the Boston Tea Party!

Sweet indeed!
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    CHRISB50 said:

Sweet indeed!
    I was going to say he like Freddie King with bends and pauses...

But then again PG was influenced by King...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mE9H1bW-zQ4#

Previously known as stevebrum
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1595
    I really liked it. 

Is he the greatest nope, not close. I think the OP might have got a little excited by the title of the thread but that aside, it’s great. Nothing new but a well played blues solo non the less.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    I listed to it all!

With a voice like his, he really should employ someone who can actually sing.  As for the solo, I thought the tone was OKish but it went 'nowhere'.  Slowly.

OP, listen to Thin Lizzy, Still in love with you.  Now THAT is guitar playing.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• shaunm said:
    I really liked it. 

OP might have got a little excited by the title of the thread
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing and yes you could say I was caught in the moment  :o
  • Rocker said:
    I listed to it all!

With a voice like his, he really should employ someone who can actually sing.  As for the solo, I thought the tone was OKish but it went 'nowhere'.  Slowly.

OP, listen to Thin Lizzy, Still in love with you.  Now THAT is guitar playing.
    Yes heard it many times and it is duly noted but soinds a bit dated  I prefer PG's Jumping... as it's timeless  ;) As for the singing don't think you can win a Grammy and not be able to sing.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72237
    I listened to it all.

Fucking awful.

Disjointed, overplayed, generic guitar wanking with a horrible tone and mixed far too loud relative to the band, yet without any real edge or power.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilMcGNeilMcG Frets: 62
    Awful tone and too long by far. What was with all that knob twiddling at the start, it wasn't going to make it sound any better?

I quite liked his voice though.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1595
    ICBM said:
    I listened to it all.

Fucking awful.

Disjointed, overplayed, generic guitar wanking with a horrible tone and mixed far too loud relative to the band, yet without any real edge or power.
    But did you like it @ICBM ;
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1057
    Love Gary Clark Jr. The 2 live albums are top ranking imo. Love the way he lies back on the beat and the fulltone octafuzz abuse.

His version of 3am blues off the first live album is absolutely amazing, as is things are changing.

I've just finished learning the live version of 'healing' and I'm enjoying transcribing his stuff.

Zapata is a killer 2nd guitar player as well.

For some reason it seems 'cool' to bash blues artists. Whatever floats your boat. I love some self indulgent blues WANKING and always will. 
  • Love Gary Clark Jr. The 2 live albums are top ranking imo. Love the way he lies back on the beat and the fulltone octafuzz abuse.

His version of 3am blues off the first live album is absolutely amazing, as is things are changing.

I've just finished learning the live version of 'healing' and I'm enjoying transcribing his stuff.

Zapata is a killer 2nd guitar player as well.

For some reason it seems 'cool' to bash blues artists. Whatever floats your boat. I love some self indulgent blues WANKING and always will. 
    Cheers pal, thought it was just me for a minute  ;)
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    I love self indulgent blues wanking, but I didn't really dig that. Sorry OP, there's plenty out there that floats my personal boat a lot more. This floats your boat though, so it's all good.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread