how reliable are the Marshall dsl, tsl, jvm etc amps

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 1789
    edited January 14
    Ha. Yep. The “c” was a typo. I also have the DL1C (with a real C). These are awesome amps. 

Some people repirted overheating problems with their DSL401. I’ve not experienced any issues with mine. I a/b tested it with a blackstar artisan and a DSL40C and my DSL401 (which was second hand) was better in tone for me. 
    I concur @kurtrowe2000 I tried a dsl40c extensively before buying my dsl401. It sounded too HiFi and didn't have that rawer Marshall crunch that I like. In addition, the 401 has independent eq on each channel and is footswitchable between clean, crunch od1and od2, and you can jump the fx loop for a bit more volume and balls. I upgraded the stock speaker to a Celestion classic lead 80 which is louder and with more definition esp on od2.

It's a 2003 401. When I bought it, it had the classic bridge rectifier problem that has been fixed (the seller was a very decent guy and reimbursed the £40 repair) and the nuisance low rating internal fuse has been upgraded. Since then it's run perfectly.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • HaychHaych Frets: 313

I can't comment from personal experience, having never owned a Marshall, but a friend of mine owns a JVM410h.

Sonically he says it's a fantastic amp and is probably the best amp he's ever played through.  However, he's says the build quality is poor, has always got some problem with it and it's let him down at gigs on a few occasions, the last time very recently.

Could just be a bad one but it hasn't instilled any confidence in the brand despite me desperately wanting one for some odd reason.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Voxman said:
    Ha. Yep. The “c” was a typo. I also have the DL1C (with a real C). These are awesome amps. 

Some people repirted overheating problems with their DSL401. I’ve not experienced any issues with mine. I a/b tested it with a blackstar artisan and a DSL40C and my DSL401 (which was second hand) was better in tone for me. 
    I concur @kurtrowe2000 I tried a dsl40c extensively before buying my dsl401. It sounded too HiFi and didn't have that rawer Marshall crunch that I like. In addition, the 401 has independent eq on each channel and is footswitchable between clean, crunch od1and od2, and you can jump the fx loop for a bit more volume and balls. I upgraded the stock speaker to a Celestion classic lead 80 which is louder and with more definition esp on od2.

It's a 2003 401. When I bought it, it had the classic bridge rectifier problem that has been fixed (the seller was a very decent guy and reimbursed the £40 repair) and the nuisance low rating internal fuse has been upgraded. Since then it's run perfectly.  
    @Voxman I’m not sure what year my 401 is. I’ll have to check but no overheating problems here. 

Mine has had the stick speaker but it’s srill an awesome sounding amp. Much prefer it to the 40c. That said, the 1c is a cracking little thing too. I got it to replicate the 401 tone which it does perfectly. 

Aounds like you bouht yours from a decent chap.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter