DV Mark 'Raw Dawg' - Eric Gales Signature...

What's Hot
Borrowed this bit of kit from the dealer this week, and have just given it a shot in rehearsal... wow! It's tiny, it's not too expensive (£370ish I believe). Anybody else tried one? I'm going to be getting one and keeping in my rack with a Two Notes Torpedo for direct gigs, but I can see myself using it for all sorts! 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• edbolivaredbolivar Frets: 153
    I saw Gales live a couple of months back and he was using this and a couple of pedals and got an epic sound.

Obviously mostly him but keen to try one too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’d love to try one of these tiny amps. They do a few different versions aimed at different styles.
  • MoJoKeMoJoKe Frets: 5
    DV Mark will be on the MSL stand at the Guitar Show 2018, Bingley Hall with pretty much the full range including all the Micro and Little heads (small on size, big on output!), cabs and the new Raw Dawg...  well worth checking out!
  • I got the Micro 50 head and a 2x12 neodymium cab after last year's show. It does everything I need it to and weighs practically nothing. 

Thread here:
    http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/113508/nad-new-head-and-cab-now-weigh-less-than-my-pedalboard
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    MoJoKe said:
    DV Mark will be on the MSL stand at the Guitar Show 2018, Bingley Hall with pretty much the full range including all the Micro and Little heads (small on size, big on output!), cabs and the new Raw Dawg...  well worth checking out!
    I’m not saying this is spam at all but presumably you have an affiliation ( as this is your first ever post on here)? 
    It’s also New Bingley Hall you want - the old one burned down in 1984! 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 415
      This month's  The Guitar Magazine has a two page review of this amp and what a waste of two pages .   It is clearly an amp built to take pedals , that's how EG uses it .
        From DV Mark's website :
            "Eric can get a great super clean sound to use all his favorite pedals with, always getting that typical tube bite on it. "

So did they use it with any pedals in the review ? No .   They completely missed the point of this amp .  I am sure it's a great amp but all you would learn from that review is that it has a great clean sound .  
       Very poor, will have to find out for myself at the show . 
  • Norwegian_BlueNorwegian_Blue Frets: 462
    edited January 2018
    @EricTheWeary Well spotted... @MoJoKe is a gear nut who hangs mostly on the low end of the spectrum, and does do some work for DV mark... is also a moderator on Basschat for those who also visit! Kindly arranged some time for me with the demo model, and my own arrived yesterday! 
  • My best results have been with a J.Rockett .45 in front...the clean sound of the amp is JTMish in voicing to me, so the 45 is the perfect extension! I've just racked mine up for IEM/Direct gigs for now, but I've really fallen for it overall!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2018
    MoJoKe said:
    I’m not saying this is spam at all but presumably you have an affiliation ( as this is your first ever post on here)? 
    It’s also New Bingley Hall you want - the old one burned down in 1984! 

No, not spam at all, and yes, I have an affiliation (sorry I didn't say that in my first ever post above!), though I am not employed by either DV Mark or MSL, their UK distributor.

I'm not here to sell, as that is not my job, I am merely pointing out that all the new DV gear will be available to play with at the Birmingham guitar show (though I doubt anyone will be going to the "Old" Bingley hall!).

As @Norwegian_Blue ;correctly points out, I was one of its first members, and have been a moderator on Basschat for several years, with exactly the same user name and with nothing to hide, as I am a bass player (for over 40 years), and I don't use my affiliation with Markbass there either, but I am happy to help/answer questions if I can.

Over 15 years ago Markbass started and have since pretty much changed the bass amplification landscape (not singlehandedly, thats not my point, and my "affiliation" also started a looong time after I started using the gear myself).

The landscape of live music is changing radically, whether professionally or for the fun of it, with different venue expectations and "quiet" stages and it is becoming less practical to lug around big loud and heavy gear.  I would love to still have a hefty valve head and 8 x 10 cab behind me, but the venue and sound engineer would hate me (as would my back!).  I now do all my gigs/sessions with a 3u rack of gear, and one or two cabs, depending on the venue.

Apart from the drummer, who still has little choice between digital or analogue, guitar players are understandably in the toughest position, as most modelling still sounds, well... modelled, and nothing seems to work quite as well or have the feel for guitar as the creamy warm crunch of valves.

DV Mark had their go at big chunky multi-channel valve heads.  Greg Howe does still like his Maragold, and they still have a cracking 15w valve head/combo, but they are now coming at this particular issue from a different angle, with their own character... the one bass players know well, and it really is one worth exploring.

Please do come and say hi at the Guitar Show.  Oh, and I promise I'll keep my head down here too!
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    MoJoKe said:
    ... guitar players are understandably in the toughest position, as most modelling still sounds, well... modelled, and nothing seems to work quite as well or have the feel for guitar as the creamy warm crunch of valves...
    Hmm, not sure about that.

Welcome to The Fretboard though @MoJoKe , I hope you stick around. :)
    Hmmm, nor me...!   I say that having happily used the bass version of the Multiamp for the last 3 years, and DV Mark Multiamp being one of those modelling amps in question!  :#

Its interesting, most bass players generally tend to steer clear of modelling, in favour of an amp for good core tone and maybe use pedals, and largely have not really "got" modelling yet.
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    edited January 2018
    I heard Eric use one live in Edinburgh recently and he sounded absolutely killer through it. It wasn't the Raw Dog model but the green one he was using before the Raw Dog was released... although I'm under the impression they should be pretty damn close by the time he'd of dialled them in. Had no idea what he was running through until the gig finished and I had chance to snoop around near the front of the stage and saw this tiny amp head. Had to Google what the hell it was.

Obviously, he'd sound great through anything but I do remember thinking how good his tone was during the gig and wondering what he was using. It was quite the reveal because I'm a bit of a tube snob and was (very pleasantly) surprised.
  • This seems like another option for mainly home players. I just wonder how my pedals will sound through it. 
  • I can't speak for the 'raw dog' signature but I have the micro 50 as a back up amp (mainly because it's so small and light it fits in the back of my 2x12 combo). I just use the clean channel and it's plenty loud enough to gig with.

It was quite dark sounding, but then my cab is pretty dark too. I run it with the bass all the way off, middle 2 o'clock and treble 3 o'clock and it sounds great. I put my pedal board through it and use a Thorpy Gunshot and a germanium treble booster on all the time and it lets me go from clean to full on overdrive between 8-10 on the guitar volume just like my valve amps do.

The final key was getting a good quality buffer on my board and that just gave the whole rig a little top end sparkle it was missing.

So if the raw dog is anything like the micro 50 it will take pedals great and be loud and punchy enough to gig with easily
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Dan_Halen said:
    I heard Eric use one live in Edinburgh recently and he sounded absolutely killer through it....

This seems like another option for mainly home players.
    I had the pleasure of meeting Eric at Mr Kyps in Bournmouth in the autumn and saw his show.  He was using a single Raw Dawg with a pair of FG212V cabs, so was running at 4ohms, so 250w output.  With DV Mark Little heads it's time to forget all the common pre-conceptions of "valve versus solid state" watts.

Mr Kyps has an awesome Yamaha Nexo PA and it was well cranked up, but there was very little of Eric going through it, he was so loud on stage.

This is ABSOLUTELY NOT just another option for home users!  DV Mark make very good pro quality gear which can also be used at home but, as with all Markbass gear this is meant for the stage.

And, how will your pedals sound through it?  Ask Eric. Or you could ask @Norwegian_Blue or you could bring your favourite pedals to the Birmingham guitar show and find out for yourself!

• MoJoKe said:
    Dan_Halen said:
    I heard Eric use one live in Edinburgh recently and he sounded absolutely killer through it....

This seems like another option for mainly home players.

This is ABSOLUTELY NOT just another option for home users!  DV Mark make very good pro quality gear which can also be used at home but, as with all Markbass gear this is meant for the stage.

Ah no, didn't mean it like that. I meant it would be perfect for home players that want a compact setup that can do reasonable volumes and still has things like a loop and reverb... But can also be happy enough sitting up on a big stage and keep up with a full band.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ah no, didn't mean it like that...
    You're forgiven! haha!

Out of interest has anyone else seen this yet?

http://www.dvmark.it/news-detail/namm-2018-new-products/

Some interesting new stuff here! I doubt we'll have in the UK in time for the Guitar Show though :angry: 
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I haven’t been impressed with DV mark stuff, I’ve owned a couple of the valve heads and I’ve tried the multi amp but they all sounded a bit shit. Maybe the solid state stuff is better but I found the valve amps very disappointing