David Gilmour Live at Pompeii

What's Hot

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Must admit as a long time Gilmour fan it was bloody terrible, I really missed the touch of Rick Wright and the Great Gig in the Sky was an epic car crash 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    sweepy said:
    Must admit as a long time Gilmour fan it was bloody terrible, I really missed the touch of Rick Wright and the Great Gig in the Sky was an epic car crash 
    Have to agree on all counts .. and I'm a massive Gilmour fan.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    edited January 2018
    sweepy said:
    I don't think anyone should attempt to reproduce the Great Gig in the Sky, even the best attempts such as the Australian Pink Floyd version still fall well short of Clare Torry's original - and even she couldn't reproduce it live.  I've always thought meaner of the Floyd, well Rick Wright I suppose, that Ms Torry had to resort to legal proceedings to get her share of the copywright. 

Whenever I've heard Dave Gilmour perform "Money" live I always think it's a shame he doesn't play the part of the solo that goes right into the upper register, that to me is an essential feature of the song.  I believe just for that solo he forsook the strat and used a Bill Lewis 24 fret guitar and I think it's a shame he doesn't go for it live - it always feels to me like he's playing safe. 
  • I’ve had this recorded for ages. I was really looking forward to watching it and actually got round to it last weekend.

I couldn’t get beyond the 2nd song in as the sound was terrible, whoever was responsible for mixing and mastering the audio needs shot.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    edited January 2018
    I’ve watched the DVD in the last few days - I’m not a Floyd obsessive - and am not a fan of DSOTM so The Great Gig in the Sky would have annoyed me had it been note-perfect.

What I like about it, is he now has a big enough catalogue of his own to be able stuff to avoid all but the most essential Floyd classics. I also thought his playing seemed ‘freer’ - even Shine On wasn’t a note-for-note recreation of the record. 

Also - it looks stunning....