3 piece song recommendations

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I have the Double Down DVD, and it's great, agreed..

I also have the much more recent DVD...and there's definitely use of backing tracks on that one.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited March 2014

The Double Down dvd has a set from 1980 which is the basic 3 piece approach, although pre the big hits. Includes Heard it on the X. Although, I seem to remember having a go at it once and deciding my fingers were 2 inches too short.

I really need to get that DVD (if it's the one I've been watching clips from on youtube, it's the Rockplast isn't it)

Love the "Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers" performance from that.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16256
    I have the Double Down DVD, and it's great, agreed..

I also have the much more recent DVD...and there's definitely use of backing tracks on that one.
    I think I watched the more recent performance (2008) once when I got the dvd, the 1980 stuff is the good stuff, if maybe a little hard going as a whole thing. I have seen Live in Texas which is pretty recent, from what I can recall they pretty much avoided anything that needed more instrumentation, much more pub rock blues band and less quirky stuff.

Pretty sure @not_the_dj it is Rockpalast.

To make this back on topic - yes, some of the ZZ Top tunes are not only for leather waistcoated ex alcoholics, some of them are but choose  wisely young padawan and you could have a useful addition(s) to your set.
    >-)

Oh, I actually picked up the guitar the other day and had a strum through Tattooed Lady by Rory Gallagher, that is just such an awesome song and fine for a 3 piece (apologies that I'm still in a time warp here), complete bastard to get the words right though.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 

•  

The Double Down dvd has a set from 1980 which is the basic 3 piece approach, although pre the big hits. Includes Heard it on the X. Although, I seem to remember having a go at it once and deciding my fingers were 2 inches too short.

I really need to get that DVD (if it's the one I've been watching clips from on youtube, it's the Rockplast isn't it)

Love the "Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers" performance from that.

It's the same one as the clip you posted on Facebook, IIRC. Pretty good, a little rough and ready but fun. Seem to recall there are a few songs where the bass cuts out and Dusty is left high and drive whilst they sort it.

• bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 531
    will have a look at at few zz top tunes.Will have to nail that tone though or it could be terrible.

I thought the Texas performance was a bit sterile.Looked pretty slick 2 or 3 songs was more than enough.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27346
    Problem with ZZ Top is that a lot of it ISN'T "three piece", once you factor the backing tracks of sequencers etc into it.

True - but the (3-piece) Hamsters did some cracking ZZ covers in their live set, so it can be done.

Also - Dr Feelgood and similar, early Quo stuff, Dave Edmunds and even Nirvana all feature in our (3-piece) set list.  The DaveE stuff is a bit weak though!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience used to take the pop hits of the day and radically re-work them as a 3-piece - Sgt Pepper, Wild Thing etc. That's the approach I take with my 3-piece: Roar by Katy Perry went down well, and I am going to trial Happy by Pharrell Williams at the jam night tonight. My perennial favourite with audiences is Baker Street, closely followed by Another Brick in the Wall and Purple Rain.
  • Muse maybe?
    Muse maybe?
    Have tried Muse in the past but cant seem to nail the vocals.Musically their songs are fairly easy to play but his vocals are a bitch to get right.
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    edited March 2014
    Played Saturday as sole guitarist in 3 + 1 vox covers band - these tunes to add to your potentials list -

Hard to handle
    Seven nation army
    Take Me Out

Les Paul and Marshellesque tones fill the sound out a bit - drummer n I fudge through some backing vocals ( when we remember ) :-)

Also I recently ( Xmas ) had the pleasure of the rockaoke band manchester - who as a 3 piece + vocals - have a set list of 500 + tunes ( they are excellent musicians and entertainers ! ) grab their set list from their website ?
    JMP220478 said:
    Played Saturday as sole guitarist in 3 + 1 vox covers band - these tunes to add to your potentials list -

Hard to handle
    Seven nation army
    Take Me Out

Les Paul and Marshellesque tones fill the sound out a bit - drummer n I fudge through some backing vocals ( when we remember ) :-)

Also I recently ( Xmas ) had the pleasure of the rockaoke band manchester - who as a 3 piece + vocals - have a set list of 500 + tunes ( they are excellent musicians and entertainers ! ) grab their set list from their website ?
    will add them to the list .

Cheers