Best bike light - advice please?

What's Hot
ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11790
edited January 2018 in Off Topic
Not actually for a bike, for mobility scooters
So it must clamp onto the steering grips, the front of which are not quite perpendicular to the travel direction

I haven't bought a bike light for decades, so have no idea
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• How thick are the grips? 

Bike lights are like guitars on that there are a massive range of prices up to several hundred pounds. 

For best good lights without getting to silly money I'd look at the Cateye Volt series. I use the 800, but you could easily use a 300 or 400. They are usb chargeable and very good. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    I'd look at some of those LED lights for vehicles and wire it into the scooters battery. They are low current draw and would give a decent spread of light for little cost without the need to change/charge a separate battery every few days or weeks.

• Avoid rechargeable lights, because the batteries die suddenly, without warning, leaving you without a light. Use one that holds AAs or AAAs, and use rechargeables in it. Then the light will slowly fade, giving plenty of warning. You can also carry spares.

I like Knogs.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    @mistercharlie, all the USB rechargeable lights I've had give you a warning when they are getting low.

On the other hand, when I tried rechargeable AAs in a light that took conventional batteries, there was no warning facility and they still died suddenly.  I got stranded with no lights a couple of times and got to he point of having to carry spare batteries with me all the time.  Not a problem since I started using USB rechargeables.

Rechargeable AAs are also poor because they aren't bright enough.  The lights are designed for the 1.6V or so of Alkaline batteries, but NiMH rechargeables are only 1.2V.  As a result, there was quite a big drop in brightness.

If it's just for a mobilty scooter you won't need any of the really expensive ones.  They are designed so that you can see far enough ahead at 20mph plus.  At mobility scooter speeds they would be overkill.
  • I've had Cateye volts for several years and they last ages! I can get 2 or 3 30 miles evening rides out of them. You also have the option of running them on low power for energy saving, which would be fine when you don't need floodlight brightness! They've never dropped out on me without warning, unlike some battery operated ones, and once the low power warning comes on your still got a couple of hours on low setting without any drop. I used them for a 300 mile, 40 hour audax ride and they lasted the whole route. 

• NeillNeill Frets: 941
    LED with Lith ion rechargeable power pack is what you need.  I have a "Magicshine" which I think was about £50 and it is just amazing.  When I think about bike lights before LEDs came along, these things are just the bollox.  
  • May I suggest something with a dia. of at least 2" with a bright white light which doesn't flash.

Aside to pushbike riders: PLEEZ will you get similar. Those tiny little things that flash really don't help you! Likewise tiny little flashing red ones on the back. Make 'em large and constant, 'cos you can't be seen in the dark especially when it's raining if you don't.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763

For best good lights without getting to silly money I'd look at the Cateye Volt series. I use the 800, but you could easily use a 300 or 400. They are usb chargeable and very good. 
    +1 for the Cateye Volts, I've had my Volt 300 for over 4 years and I commute by bike every day so it's taken a hammering but it's still brilliant.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Neill said:
    LED with Lith ion rechargeable power pack is what you need.  I have a "Magicshine" which I think was about £50 and it is just amazing.  When I think about bike lights before LEDs came along, these things are just the bollox.  

A £50 light will probably be overkill at mobility scooter speeds.

• Not actually for a bike, for mobility scooters
    So it must clamp onto the steering grips, the front of which are not quite perpendicular to the travel direction

I haven't bought a bike light for decades, so have no idea
    Is it to be seen, or to see where the rider is going? I don't think a mobility scooter is going to be particularly fast, in comparison to a bike, so you are unlikely to need a really powerful light.

I use a small torch with rechargeable 18650 batteries and CREE LED which is super bright. But the mounts for handlebars aren't great for your needs.

Lezyne are a good brand, but can be pricey.

Alternative idea, get a head torch! In which case, Alpkit have a brilliant range of cheap ones which are mega bright.
  • Knog Frog lights.
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    I use two rechargeable front lights on my bike. Both are run on the lowest setting for the most part, which means they last for a good while and there is some redundancy should one run out of charge, but they also have plenty of extra power if you need it. I don't think they sell my old 1200 Lezyne any more but the 1100 is close and at an alright price atm, and the Moon is on sale too:

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Lezyne-Macro-Drive-1100-Front-Light_111993.htm

https://www.cyclesurgery.com/p/moon-meteor-storm-pro-P5114274.html?colour=124

I have a headlight as well - the Energizer ones have 200-300 lumens for fifteen or so pounds, take standard AAAs and have variable output so you can save on the batteries.
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• I use the lezyne macro 600xl, rechargeable and has never let me down
  • Avoid the Cateye HL-el135 is has a tendency to break and it is a known common problem.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11790
    it won't be going very fast, so the temptation to get the best will probably be resisted
    how about this for £25:
    https://www.cyclesurgery.com/p/moon-vortex-front-light-P5114272.html?colour=124

• rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    Please avoid the big, bright flashing ones which so many cyclists seem to use.  On a recent journey, my passenger was worried that she was close to fitting due to some particularly lary ones fitted to one bike.  Even I was distracted by the out of phase flashing and sheer brightness of the things.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • KoaKoa Frets: 120
    Search for Cree on eBay, led and very bright....and cheap. Fantastic lumens value with small rechargeable battery pack.
  • KoaKoa Frets: 120
    Avoid rechargeable lights, because the batteries die suddenly, without warning, leaving you without a light. Use one that holds AAs or AAAs, and use rechargeables in it. Then the light will slowly fade, giving plenty of warning. You can also carry spares.

I like Knogs.
    Good point.....maybe worth having a large and smaller light as  back up 
  • it won't be going very fast, so the temptation to get the best will probably be resisted
    how about this for £25:
    https://www.cyclesurgery.com/p/moon-vortex-front-light-P5114272.html?colour=124

I've had moon lights and they're pretty good. 

rlw said:
    Please avoid the big, bright flashing ones which so many cyclists seem to use.  On a recent journey, my passenger was worried that she was close to fitting due to some particularly lary ones fitted to one bike.  Even I was distracted by the out of phase flashing and sheer brightness of the things.
    Flashinglights are designed to make sure you're seen, I have one solid and one flashing. I'd rather annoy someone and be alive than be mistaken for a car much further away, which tends to happen with solid ones. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom