Pet Illness :(

What's Hot
FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2386
edited January 2018 in Off Topic
Hi all,

Bit of a depressing post I'm afraid.... My nearly 14 year old cat, who I've had since he was a kitten, has taken a turn for the worse; started with a limp in his rear left leg before xmas, now he's got a constant nosebleed for the past 5 days, is coughing a bit, and I've discovered a lump on his left front shoulder.

Been to the vets about 6 times already this year with him, x-rays on his rear left leg showed nothing major, but now he's in the vets for x-rays on his head and shoulder, a needle biopsy and blood tests.

The poor little guy is still eating and purring away, but I feel really sorry for him - have had to keep him confined to a room since xmas due to his leg.

Not sure why I'm posting this here, but I'm a complete wreck today; not even had any results yet, but I've fallen apart emotionally; he's helped me through so much (death of my brother, sister having a brain hemmorhage, 2 serious relationships ending etc.) and I just hate seeing him like this. Hopefully the vet can find out what the issue is and then I'll at least have the information.

I know a lot of people will say "He's just a cat", but he's been my little buddy for 14 years - he's so much more than a cat to me.

As well as that, my cousin had a heart attack last week, and my sister is now back in hospital for tests on serious stomach issues. This year has been utter sh!t so far...!

Anyway, sorry for the splurge - feels a bit better having written it down though.

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Fingers crossed and lucky poos for you and your pal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited January 2018
    I don't think (I hope) anyone here would say he was just a cat. They are part friends, part companions and part children. We love them and care for them, and so are emotionally attached to them. They are always there, when humans find it too hard or too much hassle to be with you then your dog/cat/parrot or whatever is there for you.

I broke my heart when my dog died a coule of years back, I mean genuinely found life empty for a long time after. So no it's not just an animal.

I wish you both the best of luck at vet.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Really sorry you're going through this. 

My cat got really sick around September last year and it was honestly one of the hardest things I've ever gone through. I was a complete mess. 
    She thankfully got better after lots of vet trips and days on a fluid drip but I still worry everyday that she's going to get sick again. I've been giving her so much attention since she's probably sick of me. 

I know it's hard to stay strong and positive but you have to try. Cats are strong little things and the fact yours is still eating sounds like a good sign to me (mine stopped eating and drinking completely) hopefully you can find out what's wrong quickly and get him on the mend. 

Once again, sorry you're going through this with both your cat and family, hopefully things improve soon. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    Our 2 cats are now 6 and 7 and have distinctly different personalities and really are integral members of our family, I can't take them to the cattery when we go on holiday as I get too upset, I can't imagine how you are feeling, you have my utmost sympathy.

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2386
    Thanks all, appreciate the kind words and lucky poos :)

I've got to play at - of all things - a funeral tomorrow as well; if it was any other gig I'd probably have cancelled it, but the show must go on as they say...!
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    underdog said:
    I don't think (I hope) no one here would say he was just a cat.
    ^^ This.   They are never 'just a cat', 'just a dog': they are part of the family and it is absolutely natural to be distraught when they get sick.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4308
    Best wishes man. I hope your cat pulls through. 

He looks like my Oscar. 

Cats are fucking awesome, but black ones particularly so. 

All the best. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5405
    This is terrible. Sorry to hear it - one of our two cats was ill a couple months ago to the point where it got really worrying as he wasn't eating or drinking at all and constantly vomiting up nothing... but after a couple trips to the vet and a few "experiments" he recovered 100%. He's just 7, but at the time we couldn't bear the thought of anything getting any worse. Fingers crossed for you.
  • Sorry to hear about this. They really are a part of your life, especially after such a long time. Just think of all the joy that he brought you over those years, and the attention you gave him. 

Hope for the best at the vets.
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    I totally understand how you feel, if that helps. 

One of our dogs was at death's door earlier this year with a sudden attack of peritonitis. For about 48 hours it was touch and go and if she hadn't pulled through it would have been the end of the world.  It might sound over dramatic but I don't think there are many things worse than witnessing a furry friend with a serous illness.

From experience I think it does help if you know what the problem is, so let's hope you get some news from the vets soon.  
  • I know exactly how you feel. Best wishes to you and pussy. he looks a little like hendrix did.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10266

Fingers crossed from a fellow cat lover.I've got four,and they're all considered part of the family.They give us so much joy.

Yours is a lovely looking thing too.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • He's a cutie.

Hope you get good news from the vet.

• rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    Hope things get sorted out with him soon. Think all you can do is wait for the results and take advice from the vet.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    As a fellow cat lover I’m keeping everything crossed for you. Just a cat my arse, I love my cat more than most people I know
  • Sorry to hear it mate. Our cat was ill last year to the tune of 2 grand with kidney failure. It was an awful time and made me realise how attached I was. 

It looked like she was on her 9th life and the prognosis was grim. I had lost hope she would recover.

However, after weeks of being hooked up to a drip and lots of meds, she made a recovery (as much of one as possible!) and is now back home. It's not as straight forward as it once was with her but she's happy and reletively healthy!

Keep your chin up and stay positive!
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Fingers crossed!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    The younger, immature me would have been one of those who said "he's just a cat." But having had a dog for 4 years now, I completely understand. Feel free to offload here. Hope the cat does well. 

• SporkySporky Frets: 28035
    We've spent a jolly long time breeding companion animals, and we've changed in the process too, so it's absolutely right that you see your cat as being a chum, not just a random furry interloper.

Best wishes to you both.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Best of luck to all of you