Ilitch Tele pickguard for silent single coils - UK alternatives/how do I make one/shield better?

Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3466
edited January 2018 in Making & Modding
So I have thought about buying saomething like the Ilitch pickguard as my Suhr Strat is noiseless and want the same for my Telecaster, which is relatively noisy in comparison.

So...

1. Are there any UK based alternatives to the Ilitch thing?
2. Can I make my own?
3. Is this something a proper shielding job can completely solve or does the Ilitch thing solve the 60 cycle hum problem too?

http://www.ilitchelectronics.com/hum-canceling-systems/pgncs/pgncs-tele/
Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    Presumably they're like the Suhr ones being huge dummy coils of wide wire that has little effect on the tone because the coils are so large.

1. not that I know of
    2. highly doubtful
    3. 60 cycle hum

The next best thing would be a normal dummy coil or noiseless pickups in my opinion.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • @Alegree thank you. Have you ever used one? Definitely interested in trying one, but it's a big lump of cash!

• AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    @Alegree thank you. Have you ever used one? Definitely interested in trying one, but it's a big lump of cash!
    I'm afraid not.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • If you’re considering the Ilitch thing have you also considered the Fishman Fluence Telecaster pickups?

They’re super expensive but that’s partly because they include the battery pack, control plate with voicing switch, and charging point jack (charge via micro USB).

They do two different voicings and are noiseless.

https://youtu.be/IHtyLMZ6kh8

Only suggesting since it looks like you’re already considering spending a fair whack on the Ilitch plate.

I’d love to try the Fishmans but the BKP Flat 50’s in my Tele sound great and the way I’m using the guitar the noise isn’t too much of an issue. I have had a set of the Fluence classic humbuckers for a few months though and I think they’re great.
  • @guitarfishbay for exactly the same reasons as you, I can't cheat on my Flat 50's neck! It's the ultimate neck pickup, IMO. I love it too much. I just replaced my Flat 50's bridge with a Cobra T and that thing absolutely stings. I likes the Flat 50's bridge but the Cobra T is just another level entirely! Regardless though, I'm intrigued to read up about the Fishman's, thanks!

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited January 2018
    That's interesting.  I didn't actually properly look at the Cobra T because I thought it was noiseless (and to date I've not found a noiseless passive I've liked), it looks like it might be but looking again at the website it's a single.  I like the Flat 50 bridge though.

Will be interested in your thoughts on whatever solution you end up with.  
  • Defo not noiseless, @guitarfishbay, it's an authentic single coil, just ceramic and with a lot of output for a single coil. Sounds glorious, genuinely. Don't get me wrong, the Flat 50 was lovely, but I needed more for a my application. I couldn't be happier with that pairing! You know what I'm like for a high gain sound and having a tightness to it, the Cobra T delivers on both counts.

Right now, after running a few tests, I'm thinking that my bridge just needs grounding and that'll solve a lot of what I'm considering is bad. The rest is absolutely manageable and a lot less than I imagined.