Ok, perhaps some backstory is required...
About 10 years ago I bought a Saga telecaster kit. Back then kits like these were fewer and far between. I think I paid about £120 for it.
I took bloody ages making it. I cut the headstock to a shape which was frankly, never quite right. Those last three words will reoccur throughout this rebuild. I gave it a few coats of cheap aerosol lacquer, which only had a few small patches of orange peel, but in the end I had a playable guitar. I did have some trouble with the action and relief. The truss rod couldn't pull the neck flat enough. At one point I clamped the neck against a plank of wood to straighten it. I left it like that for a few weeks and it seemed to help a bit. I've also put a washer on the end of the truss rod and between the two of them the neck is better. There's also some shimming going on.
It ended up looking like this:http://i.imgur.com/2WEU19u.jpg
That was fine for a couple of years but I always intended to have it a a guitar to tinker with. Then the internet filled my mind with tales of coil splitting, out-of-phase and series mods and it was upgraded to this:http://i.imgur.com/MtPmToj.jpg
The finish was done to not quite right standard using rattle cans.
You can see I went to town on switches.
A three-way for each humbucker, for standard, series and one coil only.
A two-way for both humbuckers out-of-phase.
A two-way for both humbuckers in series.
And, two stacked pots to give individual volume and tone for each pickup.
And that's how it stayed until this weekend. I finally decided to look at the pickup selector as it was dying. So, I took it to bits. Cleaned it up, and once I'd found the ball bearing again it worked much between. Then, on reassembly a wire came off the back of a pot. Arse. And the two more, one of which was something to do with all the switches. Something, to do with my not quite right soldering with a cheapo iron.
So the job's got bigger. Certainly big enough to be considered a challenge to do in 3 months. For me anyway. I'll go through the planned works in the next post. I'm doing this on a tablet so I'm worried all the above typing might disappear.
PS I'm well away how laughably shoddy the give has been. Feel free to laugh and mock. I can only hope that the end product of this challenge isn't so bad.
Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.