Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Porridge

What's Hot
The n food programme on Radio 4 this week was an absalute joy discussing Porridge, well worth a listen.

The single most interesting bit was when Levi Roots mentioned that Bob Marley sang about it and managed to rhyme porridge with carriage in No Woman No Cry:

Then we would cook cornmeal porridge,
I say, of which I'll share with you.
Yeah!
My feet is my only carriage
And so I've got to push on through.

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I heard that. made me think I should watch the old Ronnie Barker dvds
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

OMG I thought I was obsessive listening to their science programs!

More of a weetabix or shredded wheat man myself. but I'm both boring and lazy.

• TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    I'm a daily porridge man, during the week at least.  (At the weekend I like to kick back with chocolate Weetabix)

One thing I've leaned is to ignore the quantity guidelines on the packet.  Life's too short for sloppy porridge.  So to speak.
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    I too indulge in porridge on a school day. I add chopped fruit, cinnamon, yogurt and drizzel honey over the lot. Very satisfying and healthy, if you don't like porridge you are making it wrong so try again.
    Weekends I do like my eggs and stuff, the later the better if I'm not up.

• MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2992
    edited January 2018
    I'm back on my childhood diet of Ready Brek for breakfast as my 1yr old daughter likes it. With a spoon full of Golden Syrup, lovely.  Probably not one for the porridge purists.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I like it with sausages and a few rashers of bacon with a fried egg on top.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • i have it everyday, i make it with water, cant stand milk in it, then add fresh fruit. its about the only healthy thing i eat
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I’d listen to that. I have porridge ( with water and honey) most days. Porridge ( the Ronnie Barker one, not the abysmal recent follow up) one of the greatest tv series ever, IMHO. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 972
    Workdays I usually have the microwave Oats So Simple (sultanas raisins cranberry & apple) & on off days/weekends I love the Scotts Porrage Oats.

Much prefer the taste when made with milk.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    When I'm based in a hotel, or up at silly o'clock to get into London, for work, I find these pots excellent.
    Quaker_Oat_So_Simple_Pots_Original

OK, so perhaps it's not "real" porridge for the porridge purists, but just add a bit of hot water, and 5mins later it's ready to eat, a lot more tasty (there's a range of flavours) than the alternative breakfast bar thingys, and all GF too.

:)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    I have the Oat So Simple sachets. Two of them :(
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    I usually mix one 2 minutes sachet of Quaker Oats Original with an one 2 minutes sachet of Quaker Oats Apple & Cherry, add milk, and microwave.

For the past few weeks I've been using Quaker Oats Protein:-   https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/297519261  

I recommend that you try Nestle Shredded Wheat Barley & Spelt.mini-bites. I even eat this stuff "raw", without adding milk.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/293284134

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    I was brought up on Groats as a kid made with hot milk and brown sugar...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I’d listen to that. I have porridge ( with water and honey) most days. Porridge ( the Ronnie Barker one, not the abysmal recent follow up) one of the greatest tv series ever, IMHO. 
    The first episode was on one of the digital channels the other night. Seen it so many times but it was the first time watching for a few years. The writing is still so sharp. 
    Wonderful stuff. The follow up series Going Straight was a bit ropey and the Porridge film wasn’t much better. But the original episodes never missed a beat. I also read the novelisationof the film. 
    The character of Lennie Godber came from Smethwick, something that pleased me quite a lot during my several years working in Smethwick with people coming out of prison. None of them ever turned out to be Richard Beckinsale though. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Every weekday morning for breakfast before work with honey or the odd spoon of Nutella on a special occasion. Keeps me going for the morning 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Porridge for breakfast, nice. Porridge on TV, very dull now. Of its time.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12258
    Aldi £1.39

"OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    Pinhead oatmeal soak overnight, cook in water n salt, serve with a little cream round the edge - the real deal.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I don't mind hot porridge but prefer straight up oats in a bowl with chilled milk and a banana sliced up on top.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.