Cutting sugar from diet - effects on me.

What's Hot
I had that lurgy over the Xmas period which really messed with my appetite, basically ate nothing but a few bits of fruit and water for around 4 days. The thought of eating sweet food for some reason made me feel sick. Since getting better I decided to cut out biscuits, chocolate and crisps from my diet. i was becoming overweight clothes felt tight around my stomach, found myself doing that fat person thing of pulling my clothes away from my body when sitting down etc. Saw some recent pics of me and a mate who I've always considered to be around the same size as me - nope, I looked bloated and in poor shape next to him, funny how the brain tricks you hey?

So, with that in mind I haven't had a single biscuit, chocolate bar or crisp since boxing day, now i love sugar, I craved it especially after a meal, could eat 6 biscuits in one sitting with a brew and  working at a kids home I have pretty much unlimited access to a lot of unhealthy food and I took full advantage of that, during a night shift it wouldnt be unusual to polish off several club biscuits, 3-4 packs of crisps, fizzy drinks etc. When I was home I have 4-5 days off in between work stints depending on how the weeks fall. I'd find myself getting knackered at around 3pm and then 7pm feeling like I could fall into a deep sleep, so what did i used to do to pep  myself up? a bit of sugar llike biscuits, totally counter productive . I put this energy slump down to working nights and having a messed up body clock but even so I still manage around 7 hrs sleep a day when working so shouldn't really be an issue.

Anyway I'm not being anal and checking every label, I've just cut out the obvious shit that I used to eat. And the effects are dramatic, I've lost about 1/2 a stone fast, Clothes that were tight 3 weeks ago are now roomy, my energy levels and motivation have increased massively, I feel so much better for not having sugar even though I used to think that sugar made me feel better. I don't have scales and don't weigh myself so I'm estimating the weight loss but it is considerable. I'm not having the  energy slumps at all and I'm not grumpy with the kids because of felling exhausted. I have no craving for sweets after meals like I always used to get, you know that sense of not quite being fulfilled even after a meal, that's gone completely

So if you are messing around with the idea of changing your eating habits, just do it, the effects are brilliant, revelatory even.

Ive also took up Yoga, Mrs B has been doing it for years, it may look a bit namby-pamby but yoga is hard AF, you need to be so strong, its killing me but I love it!

"OUR TOSSPOT"
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 8439
    well done on cutting out sugar! :)

I don't eat much sugar, but cutting out carbs eg Ritz crackers is soooo hard!

I'm being good and not drinking alcohol during the week though :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 6811
    I need to do something about my weight, even if just to return to my pre Xmas weight. I have in the past cut out obvious sugary things like biscuits and cake and limited it to low fat yoghurt. Wasn't a huge lifestyle change but I found it very difficult to do yet lost about a pound a week doing it. So quickly re-addicted though, a slice of birthday cake and I'm tripping. 
    I feel the warm, healing, liquid presence of God’s genuine cold-filtered grace. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4030
    I introduced @speshul91 to this a month or so back.

When I did exactly this I was 97kg. 4 months later I was 73kg just by cutting out sugar. I ate my face off into stuff like grilled chicken and salad, fresh bread, pasta hot and cold........I was never hungry but losing weight astonishingly quickly.

Weigh in once a month to see a real difference.

Well done @jonnyburgo
    I've slipped back into sugar again over Christmas and it shows plus I seem to be back on coffee somehow?.... so this has given me a nudge as it were.
    Nice one.
    If you fall seven times, you stand up eight.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1296
    We haven't done any weighing yet but there is a big visible difference. @Alnico claire is over the moon about it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 3007
    could eat 6 biscuits in one sitting 

11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 3007
    In all seriousness, well done bud!

I'm lessening my intake too, it just started to turn my stomach after being ill too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Well done Jonny.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 8133
    Nice one

I read "The case against sugar" recently. It's terrifying.
    Handsome_Chris said: Like white Nile Rodgers. 
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 185
    Yeah man, as someone who has lost 30kgs on a running schedule, power to you. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 976
    I need new eating habits, I drink way too much tea, crisps and bread, bread with everything, I need to stop eating bread!
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 976
    Oh and salt , not forgetting salt.
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 456
    @jonnyburgo: I would recommend that you see your doctor for a blood test and get your HbA1c reading. Make a note of the date and go back in 4 months for another check to see how you are doing. Again, make a note of the date. Then, you can go back in another 6 months and so on, or as recommended by your doctor.

There are two types of HbA1c readings available. Get the percentage reading.

The HbA1c test is used to diagnose diabetes and a range of between 4% - 5.6% is good. Anything above that means that you have become diabetic, but if this is detected early, you may be able to reverse it.

By cutting out sugar, you would be avoiding a high blood sugar level and the onset of diabetes. 

Of course, you can indulge in small quantities of treats, but don't overdo it. :) 
  • I joined Slimming World on the advice of a few friends - including an osteopath friend (who it turns out had been going along) I've dropped a stone already in about 6 weeks (in spite of Xmas) and I haven't really been as disciplined as I could/should, but I had the same habits as the OP - an opened pack of biscuits became an empty pack was just a fact in my house.

That is great going!
    I want to lose about the same amount ultimately to get back to what I was when I started my business 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of Earvana nuts, BKP, Oil City And Monty's pickups. Sperzel, Tonepros, Gotoh and Graphtech too!
    Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 5406
    edited January 11
    One thing that I have known for years and is enough reason to be wary of too much sugar and that is that sugar does rot your teeth but moreso FROM THE INSIDE OUT! - It is the sugars IN THE BLOOD that do the damage.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    @jonnyburgo: I would recommend that you see your doctor for a blood test and get your HbA1c reading. Make a note of the date and go back in 4 months for another check to see how you are doing. Again, make a note of the date. Then, you can go back in another 6 months and so on, or as recommended by your doctor.

There are two types of HbA1c readings available. Get the percentage reading.

The HbA1c test is used to diagnose diabetes and a range of between 4% - 5.6% is good. Anything above that means that you have become diabetic, but if this is detected early, you may be able to reverse it.

By cutting out sugar, you would be avoiding a high blood sugar level and the onset of diabetes. 

Of course, you can indulge in small quantities of treats, but don't overdo it. :) 
    Had a checkup just recently and bloods all good luckily, was diagnosed with greedy bastarditis though!. Well done to all of you that are on track. The real test will come if my cravings return.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 692
    Congrats! First step is ways the hardest.  
    I cut sugar from my coffee a few years ago now and the effects were quite startling. 

Hope it continues for you :) 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 967
    I joined Slimming World on the advice of a few friends - including an osteopath friend (who it turns out had been going along) I've dropped a stone already in about 6 weeks (in spite of Xmas) and I haven't really been as disciplined as I could/should, but I had the same habits as the OP - an opened pack of biscuits became an empty pack was just a fact in my house.

That is great going!
    I want to lose about the same amount ultimately to get back to what I was when I started my business 
    My wife is on slimming world, the best way to tackle it is to have a number of lunch and dinner recipes which you know are okay and online shop the ingredients weekly.  Its rare that you will be bothered to go out to buy something unhealthy if its not already in the cupboard.

"I need new eating habits, I drink way too much tea, crisps and bread, bread with everything, I need to stop eating bread!"

I stopped taking sugar in tea in Christmas 2016.  I still can't say I like tea as I did before it has cut me down from 5 cups a day to one on the morning and one in the afternoon though!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 12781
    Weightwatchers recommend not cutting out sugar in tea or coffee. Their reasoning is that you're probably not actually getting that many calories from it, and it means you're not going full-spartan on your diet which improves your chances of sticking to it.
    Be your own evil twin. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 8867
    Sporky said:
    Weightwatchers recommend not cutting out sugar in tea or coffee. Their reasoning is that you're probably not actually getting that many calories from it, and it means you're not going full-spartan on your diet which improves your chances of sticking to it.
    Yup. 1 tsp is 16 calories. At 3 cups a day with 1tsp each that's 17500 calories per year, which is 5 pounds of fat. 

Not really a big deal compared with eating better and doing more, especially if you're drinking something like lattes, since one of those is 200-odd calories each.

I already eat pretty well (can't have much crap food due to celiac), but definitely eat too much chocolate and drink a bit much, especially when busy/tired/stressed. But we've just signed up for a personal trainer 2 days a week. First session in Sunday before work. I'M GOING TO DIE...
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 1262
    Good luck with this.  I don't eat sugar.  My bane is beer, I love quality ales.  Alas, very high in sugar.  I'm down to drinking just once a month.  I could do with losing a chin or two.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • NeillNeill Frets: 372
    Well done @jonnyburgo

I have a friend who is over 20 stone but he's built like me with a small frame so he can't carry it.  We've had a few conversations about his food intake which I have found quite disturbing, eg if he opens a packet of biscuits he has to eat the lot in one go.  He is in and out of hospital all the time, has multiple health issues most of which are a result of his obesity and he's heading for a miserable early grave and none of us know what to do about it.  Sadly he knows he is grossly overweight, he isn't in denial so it's how to find an incentive to change his lifestyle. 

I went through this in my early 20's ie 40 years ago. My dad was a fat bloke even in the 1960's when everyone seemed to be thin, and I could see myself going the same way.  I get "oh it's all right for you, you're naturally thin" thrown at me all the time.  Not at all, it was hard work weaning myself off carbohydrates but the turning point for me was when a girl I fancied told me I was fat.  I think guys who are well into middle age must find it harder to generate the enthusiasm for changing their eating habits.  Modern day life doesn't help with sugar laden products and cheap fast food everywhere but in the end it is down to the individual.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 3914
    I can't handle tea or coffee without sugar - I've now gone down to only 1 cup a day - I'd rather have no tea/coffee at all then tea/coffee without sugar - drink more water

I've decided no chocs, cake etc during Jan to see how it goes - have no crisps now anyway

No soups, spaghetti sauces mixes etc that are laden with sugar - Make your own sauce for pastas

Weetabix for breakfast with no sugar

Carrying a bit to much weight on my stomach - I'm only around 12 stone - but I must admit that changes above are having little impact on reducing waist line
  • SnapSnap Frets: 2174
    Great tales here.

The main thing that puts me off sugar is what it does to your teeth. Just don't get why anyone drinks full sugar soft drinks like Coke, Red Bull etc. Particularly the ones that have the "zero" options which IMO taste almost the same.

Full sugar fizz is so bad for you, in so many ways.

Sugar is hidden in so many things too. The food industry really needs to sort it out. For example, why do my salt and vinegar crisps have sugar in them?? Mind you, on the crisp front, I'd have salt n shake everytime. A spud should taste like a spud.

SUppose its what we have been steered to get used to over a number of years - over flavoured food that tastes of sugar and salt, rather than tasting of itself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 3274
    @jonnyburgo - well done chap, keep it up.

Western diet is too heavy in carbs (incl sugar), says the fat bastard who needs to sort himself out ....:(
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 2769
    edited January 11
    Like others I can't drink tea or coffee without sugar. Believe me, I've tried! I used to take 2 sugars but now it's only 1, I've tried reducing that again to a half but I don't like it. I'm sceptical about sweeteners.

I could certainly eat less chocolate as like the OP I am partial to something sweet after a meal and usually reach for a choccy bar. I drink beer and I like rum+coke. Coke is a biggie and I have wanted to cut it out for ages but rum+coke is just so tasty! Would swapping my mixer to apple juice be much of an improvement?

I cook most of my meals from fresh so added sugars in food isn't a huge problem so for me I guess it's the Coke and the chocolate.
    And the crisps. Always crisps.
    Mmm, crisps.
    Snap said:

The main thing that puts me off sugar is what it does to your teeth. Just don't get why anyone drinks full sugar soft drinks like Coke, Red Bull etc. Particularly the ones that have the "zero" options which IMO taste almost the same.

There's decent evidence that the artificially sweetened ones aren't that much better for you - they are lower in calories, of course, but the sweetness seems to trigger things such as insulin production - essentially your sense of taste tells your digestive system to deal with some inbound sugar.

Snap said:

SUppose its what we have been steered to get used to over a number of years - over flavoured food that tastes of sugar and salt, rather than tasting of itself.
    They're also playing on things we developed as evolutionary advantages - when food was relatively scarce and required much more effort, anything high in sugar or fat was a rare bonus so they taste good to us - it's your brain's way of rewarding you for a successful hunt/scavenge.

I found that developing a routine (and thus good habits) was important to losing weight without minding it. So lots more walking, and my evening meals for a good few months were based around three handfuls of lightly cooked veg (generally broccoli, sugar snaps, and baby corn, though I varied this a fair bit), a protein/fat provider (lump of dead animal, basically, and I didn't care about fat) and some roasted squash or sweet potato or potato. With a dollop of pesto or similar on top.

Also I about halved my breakfast calories by switching to having a thin bagel with two rashers of grilled bacon and a bit of ketchup, instead of pastries or cereal or toast.
    Be your own evil twin. 
  • BillKatBillKat Frets: 1002

I had to go sugar-free after been diagnosed type 2 diabetes. I didn't have a sweet tooth so wasn't a problem, at first - but now being told I can't/shouldn't I'm tempted more than I ever was ... Giving it up in tea was the hardest but now even a couple of grains in tea tastes grim. The industrial quantities of JD & coke gave way to straight Bourbon no bother.

One effect was beginning to taste salt more strongly. And the overall effect was getting to taste the vast amount of salt & sugar in salt crammed into food, it makes so many things off-putting.

Except bacon. Bacon is food of the gods.

Now I want bacon, dammit.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 8439
    BillKat said:
    Except bacon. Bacon is food of the gods.

Now I want bacon, dammit.

wis for that.

was listening to R4 at lunchtime, think it must have been NYD and they were talking about losing weight via diet/exercise. I was feeling ready for a little munch, so while agreeing with them about the desirability of a healthy diet, I made myself a bacon sandwich

:)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    The losing weight thing is only as complicated as you want to make it.

Fundamentally if you use more calories than you eat then you'll lose weight; if it's the other way around then you'll gain wait. Counting calories is therefore the most successful approach to losing weight - and partly because it means you can still have chocolate, cake, biscuits, and sugar in your coffee, as long as you balance that.

Most of the commercial diet plans (weightwatchers, slimming world etc) are calorie counting for you and making it into points or meal guides or similar, but it's not difficult to keep track of your intake yourself.
    Be your own evil twin. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 2560
    edited January 11
    Sporky said:
    Fundamentally if you use more calories than you eat then you'll lose weight; if it's the other way around then you'll gain wait. Counting calories is therefore the most successful approach to losing weight - and partly because it means you can still have chocolate, cake, biscuits, and sugar in your coffee, as long as you balance that.
    FWIW (which may not be much), my view used to be pretty much that but it has shifted a bit.  The "bit" is the notion that not all calories are created equal.  On the one hand, (which probably belongs to a physicist), a calorie is undoubtedly a calorie.  And it is possible to reduce weight if you only ate chocolate bars but were in a calorie deficit at the end of the day.  E.g. the "Twinkies Diet" which was a demonstration solely to prove that point.

However, on the other hand, foods relatively dense in sugar and starches raise blood glucose --> which requires insulin to deal with it.  And, all other things being equal insulin is a fat-storing hormone.  Which is why the type of dietary changes @jonnyburgo and others on here have made are noticeably efficient for weight reduction.  (Because they don't stimulate production of gallons of insulin, therefore you're not storing that glucose-that's-been-dealt-with-by-insulin portion of your diet as fat. <-- a bit 101 but that's my ultra-basic understanding)

The real fascination for me is the type of thinking and behaviour that @Neill described with his overweight friend.  I read that and think, okay that's extreme but I'm like that a bit.  How come I don't change my behaviour to what I know would be good for me?  What's keeping people stuck?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter