Mobile Phone Experts - a question

RockerRocker Frets: 4947
My old Android phone is no longer in use as a phone but I can use it, via wi-fi, to control my Sonos system. Works well too. My question is: can I use it as a phone by connecting via wi-fi. Is there software that uses wi-fi to connect to the phone network via broadband? Thanks.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited January 2018
    Skype does that, but you have to put some credit on it to actually call a physical phone. Cheap though

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 531
    I think you may be able to make calls via Facebook Messenger.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    Facebook messenger and whatsapp calls will work to other phones running the aps. I get calls on these aps all the time
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    We use Hangouts between family members for messaging quite a lot but it’s good for audio calls ( higher quality sound than phones) or video calls. Free app. Doesn’t connect to the phone network but pretty much anyone you have in your contacts you can message them and get them to download Hangouts.
    Apps like Whatsapp are, I believe, linked to your mobile number but Hangouts can be on any internet device so I have it on my phone and my iPad and I can send messages to my youngest son when he’s on the computer.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I live in an area that has poor signal for Three (my provider, with a great deal, and used to be a great signal, but I moved). They have an iOS app that uses my Wi-fi and broadband to tunnel in and out of my house and connect to their network. Works for outgoing and incoming calls and texts. 
  • I am on three and have three in touch - let's you call via WiFi.

It's not perfect, but it has allowed me to make calls when otherwise I'd be unable to. 
  • randellarandella Frets: 4088
    EE do similar (wifi calling) - it's dependent on the handset though.  There's no signal in my house so it's brilliant being able to piggyback on the broadband.  I think you might be out of luck with an old handset tho - but the other suggestions above will work just as well.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    WiFi calling still needs a valid SIM, so not purely an internet "zero-cost" solution.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • WiFi calling still needs a valid SIM, so not purely an internet "zero-cost" solution.
    You're right, of course!  I stupidly assumed it was a broken transceiver, but if it's not actually known to the network provider then it won't work at all as a phone - just a Skype (etc) handset. 
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Exactly, yes. You could use an old iPod touch or tablet even.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.