Which album was your biggest dissapointment?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
For me I think it was Dave Lee Roth Skyscraper. Eat em and smile was utterly brilliant, the interplay of Vai and Sheehan was mind blowing. I had such high hopes for skyscraper but it was so flat in comparison, where was the bass?? It was so low in the mix. Where was the clever interplay? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    Arcade Fire's second album. Never quite felt the same about them since
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11292
    Deep Purple's Perfect Strangers.

The best lineup of one of my favourite bands back together again after years and they came up with something a million miles away from the likes of Machine Head.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Kate Bush's album "Aerial".

Bought it when it first came out in 2005 (on the strength of the single King of the Mountain). Listened to it once (and once only), called it shyte not to my liking, and promptly gave it away to a colleague.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Arcade Fire's second album. ...
    scrumhalf said:
    Deep Purple's Perfect Strangers.
    fandango said:
    Haha - you guys have almost picked my three favourite albums, certainly my favourites from AF, DP and KB! My taste is clearly very unusual!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Surfing with the alien!  Technically, (probably) brilliant.  Musically, a tad below zero.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandango said:

Bought it when it first came out in 2005 (on the strength of the single King of the Mountain). Listened to it once (and once only), called it shyte not to my liking, and promptly gave it away to a colleague.
    Maybe you should have persisted, it's a great album, IMO her best.  None of the other tracks on it are like King of the Mountain, granted, so if you were looking for more of that you weren't going to get it.  It's far from being my favourite track though.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Can think of a few major disappointments - 

Iron Maiden - No Prayer for the Dying. Coming after Seventh Son,  which was one of the albums which got me into metal, anything was going to be a disappointment. This was, following the trend in metal at the time of releasing shorter more accessible songs (see also Metallica)

Mastodon - Once More Round the Sun. Horrible attempt to land a bigger audience, still cannot listen to it all the way through. Back on form with their most recent album 

Metallica - Black album. Went from a brilliant exciting band who played really aggressive and technical thrash metal to a ploddy stadium rock band who have never recovered. Still remember the sinking feeling this 16 year old metalhead got listening to it for the 1st time 

Guns n Roses - Use Your Illusion 1/2. Some great individual songs on these, but a lot of crap as well. Appetite remains the benchmark imo
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • My wedding album...although it lasted longer than my marriage ;)

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OK Computer. The bends was a masterpiece and then, that drivel. It’s the only CD I’ve ever thrown out the car window. I’ve owned it twice, so have given it a go. 
    5reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Muse - Black Holes And Revelations.

I bought it the day it came out, on the strength of Absolution being one of the best albums I own (and I still think so), and Origin Of Symmetry being OK. I’d heard the first single - Starlight - which I liked, even if it seemed a bit lightweight. Sadly it’s the best song on the album.

The rest is just empty, style without substance, childish songwriting and very samey arrangement and production throughout. The last track isn’t bad but it was too late to redeem it - I gave it to a friend who I knew liked the band. She thought exactly the same.

I haven’t liked or bought anything they’ve done since either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    BloodEagle said:8

Metallica - Black album. Went from a brilliant exciting band who played really aggressive and technical thrash metal to a ploddy stadium rock band who have never recovered. Still remember the sinking feeling this 16 year old metalhead got listening to it for the 1st time 

Guns n Roses - Use Your Illusion 1/2. Some great individual songs on these, but a lot of crap as well. Appetite remains the benchmark imo
    Both big disappointment for me too. Once my anticipation had been extinguished they really did disappoint. 

I was a massive fan of ...And Justice with it's multi sectioned long but aggessive tracks. I know Bob Rock was employed to give them mass appeal but he stripped all the stuff I liked away in the process.

UYI is the sound of a very successful band spending a blank cheque without hearing any criticism. As has been discussed many times one good record could have been compiled from the sprawl.

I'll go for Oasis and Be Here Now. As above, really. The songs are ok but they're all dragged out for far too long. Some of the tracks are creaking under the weight of the 30 rhythm guitar tracks that got left on. Any track that has more than one "truck driver's gear change" is already too long... All Around The World has 12 :)
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• I felt like that about Be Here Now for a long time, but it’s grown on me now. In fact the title track was the live highlight of Liam’s recent tour for me. Him currently doing 3 tracks from the album also tells me he views it as a better record than the general public. 
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    +1 for 'Once More Round The Sun'. It's just so dull.

Machine Head - Supercharger - After the disappointment that was The Burning Red, Robb Flynn was boasting that the follow-up would be a return to the old sound. In the end, it was ten times worse than The Burning Red. Haven't really been a Machine Head fan since.

Morbid Angel - Illud Divinum Insanus - First album back with Dave Vincent and it's a complete horror show of epic proportions. Ill advised attempts at industrial metal and awful lyrics throughout. There's a song called 'Too Extreme!' for fuck sake.

Strapping Young Lad - SYL - After Devin announced SYL were returning in 2002 I was shitting my pants with excitement. After all, City is one of my all time favourites. Then this came along and I felt really deflated. The apocalyptic industrial wall-of-noise sound had pretty much vanished, and was replaced with a plodding thrash metal record with keyboards.
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Can think of a few major disappointments - 

Iron Maiden - No Prayer for the Dying. Coming after Seventh Son,  which was one of the albums which got me into metal, anything was going to be a disappointment. This was, following the trend in metal at the time of releasing shorter more accessible songs (see also Metallica)

I was about to post, but then you posted that, which pretty much sums it up - it was the first thought in my head after reading the thread title :) 7th Son was so epic, and I just remember waiting for the release of the first single (Holy Smoke) and being massively gutted when I heard it (more so when I saw the decidedly un-epic video!)

Would add Motley Crue's eponymous effort after Dr Feelgood. Tried very hard to like it, but it's still not for me. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    ‘High’ by The Blue Nile.

I’m an Uber-fan and bought it on the day of release. In fairness, life was pretty bad around 2004 - so I perhaps wasn’t as willing to overlook its failings as readily as I might have done in better circumstances - but listening to it in the car on the way home I was overcome by disappointed. Half-arsed, cliched songs - with none of the emotional weight of their previous stuff.

Certainly not worthy of the eight year gap between it and its predecessor.....
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Therapy? - Infernal Love. Troublegum was pretty much the album that got me loving Rock music. I listened to it over and over, knew every lyric so obviously I had Infernal Love pre-ordered (on cassette) from my local music shop. I hated it, absolutely despised the album. 14 year old me was not one bit impressed with their new direction. It got good reviews at the time and maybe if I listened to it now I might even prefer it to troublegum but I do remember the bitter disappointment of that album. Listened through twice and never again.
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2553
    I've said it before but for me it has to be the first Stone Roses album. Recommended by lots of my mates at the time, I hated it...and still do. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    In no particular order:

Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - "Now I got Worry".  I bought this on the strength of a rave review in one of the guitar mags and because RL Burnside is on it  I even had to order the CD specially and waited a week (those were the days) for it to arrive.  It was/is absolute rubbish in every respect.  

The Raincoats "The Raincoats"  another waste of time and money.

Annette Peacock "The Perfect Release" another I bought on the strength of a NME review (I should know better by now) how  people can listen to this stuff and claim to enjoy it is beyond me, talentless pretentious crap.

Santana - "Festival" - I've seen Santana live and the BBC concert from 1976 is one of the best recorded live performances ever IMHO.  The LP really is the biggest let down of all time.  Santana just never got anywhere near their live sound in the studio, it sounds like a bad tribute act. 
  • And Justice For All (Metallica)
    Accept (Accept)
    In The Skies (Peter Green)
    3 (Jan Akkerman )
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    cruxiform said:
    I've said it before but for me it has to be the first Stone Roses album. Recommended by lots of my mates at the time, I hated it...and still do. 
    It’s much better than the second one though :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein