Which album was your biggest dissapointment?

What's Hot

Comments

• randellarandella Frets: 4088
    edited January 2018
    Primal Scream - Give Out but Don't Give Up

Two great tunes (Rocks, Jailbird) and then a load of sub-Stones schmaltz.

Andrew Weatherall must've cried when he heard it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Anything by Ginger Spice.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Arcade Fire's second album. Never quite felt the same about them since
     :/ 

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Freebird said:
    Anything by Ginger Spice.
    I quite liked her Greatest tits
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1667
    Can think of a few major disappointments - 

Iron Maiden - No Prayer for the Dying. Coming after Seventh Son,  which was one of the albums which got me into metal, anything was going to be a disappointment. This was, following the trend in metal at the time of releasing shorter more accessible songs (see also Metallica)

I was about to post, but then you posted that, which pretty much sums it up - it was the first thought in my head after reading the thread title :) 7th Son was so epic, and I just remember waiting for the release of the first single (Holy Smoke) and being massively gutted when I heard it (more so when I saw the decidedly un-epic video!)
    +1 on No Prayer.

I think they recorded it at their newly built studio and the sound is just kind of dead and rubbish. Kind of hi-fi, but unlively. Poorly Reverbed. I dunno - uninspiring though.

Came off the back of 2 quite Adrian-y, synth-y, proggy, melodic albums and I think they wanted to put the whole 80's thing behind them, but it was a bit of a step in the wrong direction for me.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    edited January 2018
    ICBM said:
    Muse - Black Holes And Revelations.

I bought it the day it came out, on the strength of Absolution being one of the best albums I own (and I still think so), and Origin Of Symmetry being OK. I’d heard the first single - Starlight - which I liked, even if it seemed a bit lightweight. Sadly it’s the best song on the album.

The rest is just empty, style without substance, childish songwriting and very samey arrangement and production throughout. The last track isn’t bad but it was too late to redeem it - I gave it to a friend who I knew liked the band. She thought exactly the same.

I haven’t liked or bought anything they’ve done since either.
    This is exactly the same experience I had.

If people are finding ok computer and first stone roses albums disappointing I believe the sky will shortly fall on our heads.  I can only reason that I heard them both as soon as they were released so hadn't had years of people saying they were amazing.  I agree The Bends better than OK but thats like saying real madrid suck because they can't catch barcelona : )

Later Pixies stuff not as good as their original stuff but tough act to follow.

Not a disappointment but struggle to see how pet sounds is one of the best albums ever despite being a fan of the beach boys.

• stickersticker Frets: 869
    Monster by R.E.M , although now I appreciate it a lot more at the time it was such a disappointment, I naively hoped for Automatic for the people part 2 and all I could think was turn that fucking tremolo off! 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3852
    cruxiform said:
    I've said it before but for me it has to be the first Stone Roses album. Recommended by lots of my mates at the time, I hated it...and still do. 

You're not alone. 

My first choice has to be Pearl Jam Vs. I glaze over when I hear most of the tracks on it. 
  • REM's Out Of Time. I was a massive REM fan at the time, since 1984, and although I thought that Green wasn't perfect, I wasn't prepared for just how bad OOT was. Two, maybe three decent songs at best.
    Things would only get worse.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516

My mind immediately went back 25 or 30 years.  These are all pretty minor hard rock/glam metal albums that nobody really cares about, but they've stuck in my mind as crushing disappointments - after first albums I really loved:

Babylon AD - Nothing Sacred

Q5 - When The Mirror Cracks

Vinnie Vincent Invasion - All Systems Go

(I actually typed "Winnie Vincent" then... seems about right).  I've listened to all these fairly recently and I still feel the same, although I now find the first VVI album pretty unlistenable too...

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Deadman said:
    cruxiform said:
    I've said it before but for me it has to be the first Stone Roses album. Recommended by lots of my mates at the time, I hated it...and still do. 

You're not alone. 

My first choice has to be Pearl Jam Vs. I glaze over when I hear most of the tracks on it. 
    Boy was that album pants! Their first album was amazing, 2nd had 2 good tracks, all others I have heard - rubbish!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    I'll add everything U2 have done after All That You Can't Leave Behind. I was a big fan from War onwards, I love the 90s trilogy (including Zooropa and Pop, which a lot of people don't), and ATYCLB seemed a perfect combination of the simpler sound of the early years with the more thoughtful and less pompous songwriting of the later period.

But How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb was a big disappointment - it's quite patchy and has a lot of "I've heard this before but done better" moments - and as for the two after that... No Line On The Horizon has two good songs on it, Songs Of Innocence has one, and the rest are just U2-by-numbers filler. On that basis the latest album will have none, and the two tracks I've heard on the radio don't dispell that feeling.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Hot Space - Queen

A pretty woeful album all round with the possible exception of Under Pressure.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    axisus said:
    Deadman said:
    cruxiform said:

You're not alone. 

Boy was that album pants! Their first album was amazing, 2nd had 2 good tracks, all others I have heard - rubbish!

Erm, I loved that album when it came out, I played it to death at the time. 
    I still like it now!

your right though since then apart from a few tracks on vitology they have been rubbish.  :/

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Hot Space - Queen

A pretty woeful album all round with the possible exception of Under Pressure.
    And Las Palabras de Amor.

I really tried to like Hot Space and appreciate it for being different, rather than just more of the same - but that’s not the problem, it’s that the rest of the songs are rubbish.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    The Division Bell - The only good thing about it is the picture on the cover. It's the only Floyd album I don't like, although I've never actually heard The Endless River, but being as it's made up of unused material from the Division Bell sessions I would imagine it to be a pile of shit.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    proggy said:
    The Division Bell - The only good thing about it is the picture on the cover. It's the only Floyd album I don't like, although I've never actually heard The Endless River, but being as it's made up of unused material from the Division Bell sessions I would imagine it to be a pile of shit.
    I don’t agree about The Division Bell - though I think it’s better judged as a solo Gilmour album, than a Floyd album.

The Endless Drivel is however, worse than you could ever possibly imagine....
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Pretty much everything the Killers did after their debut album. Should have taken over the world, become also rans. Shame.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    eSully said:
    Therapy? - Infernal Love. Troublegum was pretty much the album that got me loving Rock music. I listened to it over and over, knew every lyric so obviously I had Infernal Love pre-ordered (on cassette) from my local music shop. I hated it, absolutely despised the album. 14 year old me was not one bit impressed with their new direction. It got good reviews at the time and maybe if I listened to it now I might even prefer it to troublegum but I do remember the bitter disappointment of that album. Listened through twice and never again.

I think I was a similar age and I agree they lost their spark and 'punk' sound....but I still listened to it. It just wasn't what I wanted from them.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    proggy said:
    I don’t agree about The Division Bell - though I think it’s better judged as a solo Gilmour album, than a Floyd album.

The Endless Drivel is however, worse than you could ever possibly imagine....

I do agree with you about The Division Bell being reminiscent of a Gilmour solo effort, probably due to his wife's input, but although I'm a massive Floyd fan I'm not really a fan of David Gilmour's solo stuff..... Roger Waters on the other hand, absolutely brilliant.