Which album was your biggest dissapointment?

What's Hot

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    scrumhalf said:
    Deep Purple's Perfect Strangers.

The best lineup of one of my favourite bands back together again after years and they came up with something a million miles away from the likes of Machine Head.
    I liked that; I rate Purple's studio albums: In Rock, Machine Head, Stormbringer, Perfect Strangers. (And of course Made In Japan beats them all.)

I saw Deep Purple a month ago and they played one or two of the tracks off it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    edited January 2018
    prowla said:

I liked that; I rate Purple's studio albums: In Rock, Machine Head, Stormbringer, Perfect Strangers. (And of course Made In Japan beats them all.)
    I actually like The House Of Blue Light as well, which for me is the last real Deep Purple album.

The disappointing one for me has been any of them from any incarnation of the band which doesn't feature Ritchie Blackmore... I've really tried to like the Tommy Bolin one and I just don't. Steve Morse is a great player but it just isn't Deep Purple.

On a similar theme - The Eagles, Long Road Out Of Eden. Without Don Felder - oddly, since he was never one of the main songwriters or vocalists, and wasn't actually the most 'rock' oriented member either - they went from being the definitive West Coast band to a third-rate country-rock band overnight.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    ICBM said:
    prowla said:

I actually like The House Of Blue Light as well, which for me is the last real Deep Purple album.

The disappointing one for me has been any of them from any incarnation of the band which doesn't feature Ritchie Blackmore... I've really tried to like the Tommy Bolin one and I just don't. Steve Morse is a great player but it just isn't Deep Purple.

I haven’t hear it for a while but Tommy’s solo stuff with his jazzy, Latin influences has some great moments. Probably largely illustrates that he wasn’t the right guitarist for Purple though. You could probably say roughly similar about Morse. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    ICBM said:
    prowla said:

On a similar theme - The Eagles, Long Road Out Of Eden. Without Don Felder - oddly, since he was never one of the main songwriters or vocalists, and wasn't actually the most 'rock' oriented member either - they went from being the definitive West Coast band to a third-rate country-rock band overnight.
    CTTB was OK, but the guitar didn't fit. I have a couple of Tommy Bolin albums which are quite good.

Funnily enough, Steve Morse has been in Deep Purple longer than Ritchie Blackmore was; I really enjoyed the gig I went to last year.

Blackmore's playing could be a bit hit and miss; some of the Rainbow stuff was dire, though he did a decent job as Dio's backing band, and he's now running his own tribute act.
  • Bruce Springsteen does folk.  Im a big fan of most of his work but the last few albums have been a bit patchy, his dalliance with folk music in particular has been very disappointing.  

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    REM's Out Of Time. I was a massive REM fan at the time, since 1984, and although I thought that Green wasn't perfect, I wasn't prepared for just how bad OOT was. Two, maybe three decent songs at best.
    Things would only get worse.
    Couldn't agree more!

I loved (still do) their earlier albums up to Green, but they just seemed to throw in the indie-towel and go for hit singles. A few good things since then but largely 'meh'.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I remember buying Captain Beefheart's 'Trout Mask Replica' on the back of hearing 'Safe As Milk' and thinking 'WTF?!' 

Took a few years before I finally got what it was all about.
  • Pretty much everything the chilis have done since By the Way

:(
    Since one hot minute for me. Baffles me how big they got with such bland material 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Pretty much everything the chilis have done since By the Way

Since one hot minute for me. Baffles me how big they got with such bland material 
    For me, with RHCP, it's everything after Stadium Arcadium. Once Frusciante was out, it was a plummet straight to the depths!

--
    My own biggest disappointment: "One Way Ticket to Hell ...and Back" by The Darkness. Permission to Land was, and still is, one of my favourite rock albums ever. Their followup was the biggest flop. It flopped faster than an undercooked pancake!

Other notable disappointments include Dream Theater's "The Astonishing" (astonishingly boring!), MUSE's "The Resistance" coming off the back of Absolution/Black Holes...
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    Pretty much everything the chilis have done since By the Way

Octahedron said:

For me, with RHCP, it's everything after Stadium Arcadium. Once Frusciante was out, it was a plummet straight to the depths!
    I love the last three Frusciante albums, they're by far their best for me. I never liked One Hot Minute - Navarro is a great player but the combination just didn't seem to work, and the songs are dire even by Keidis' usual lyric standards.

Octahedron said:

MUSE's "The Resistance" coming off the back of Absolution/Black Holes...
    Absolution and Black Holes are not even in the same universe! I never got The Resistance but it must be truly dire.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Bruce Springsteen does folk.  Im a big fan of most of his work but the last few albums have been a bit patchy, his dalliance with folk music in particular has been very disappointing.  
    Everything Springsteen has done is a disappointment to me; I just can't relate to "me and the boys doing Americana with an oily rag hanging our arse pocket". I've got a box-set of his albums filling a place in my collection, but I can't bear to listen to them.

Another band I've got a box set of is Status Quo; I find them utterly boring too.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1596
    ICBM said:
    rlw said:
    Led Zeppelin 3
    My favourite Zep album...

Pretty much everything the chilis have done since By the Way
    I like all the Frusciante albums, including Stadium Arcadium - although By The Way is my favourite - but I can't get on with any of the others at all.
    Agree whole heartedly with both comments.

Most disappointing albums - the second Kooks album was truely abysmal 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22738
    My own biggest disappointment: "One Way Ticket to Hell ...and Back" by The Darkness. Permission to Land was, and still is, one of my favourite rock albums ever. Their followup was the biggest flop. It flopped faster than an undercooked pancake!
    That was a disappointment,  I loved the first album, hated the second.  So much so that I've taken no interest at all in what they've done since they reformed (although I did listen to a few Stone Gods and Hot Leg tracks just to hear what they sounded like).
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5405
    U2 - Pop
    REM - New Adventures In Hi-Fi
    Arcade Fire's newest one
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    REM's Out Of Time. I was a massive REM fan at the time, since 1984, and although I thought that Green wasn't perfect, I wasn't prepared for just how bad OOT was. Two, maybe three decent songs at best.
    Things would only get worse.
    Conversely my fave REM album, followed closely by Green. I wonder if it's sometimes about which you hear first.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Philly_Q said:
    I think I mentioned this the other day but Family Style by the Vaughan Brothers. 
    Two of my favourite guitarists, one of the world's greatest producers and almost entirely awful. I don't remember it in detail, maybe I should give it another go, but outside of Tick Tock ( very hummable) just seemed very short on ideas and suffered from horrible 80s production ( released in 1990). Not even 40 minutes of guitar wankery - they'd obviously gone out of their way to avoid that but didn't quite know what to do instead. 

Actually this is making me want to go listen to it...
    I think I liked it, but I also haven't listened to it for years and don't remember much - or anything - except Tick Tock.
    Had it on this afternoon. Still a poor album and I would think almost anything the brothers recorded as solo artists or with others is better. There are some slightly annoying spoken moments, some strange drum parts ( I've a feeling these were programmed rather than played but either way by someone without a sympathetic ear for the music) and a general dearth of ideas. The Jimmie oriented songs and the Stevie oriented songs just belong on separate albums, only held together by some unsympathetic production. I could go back through and pick out an EP of decent stuff from it. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Can't believe I forgot -

Spandau Ballet - Diamond. And every album after it.

The first one, Journeys To Glory, is a masterpiece of dark New Romantic electro-pop. Then they became a crap blue-eyed soul band...

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    In Through The Out Door. Let's take all of the really great guitar-driven mucis we've made and slosh keyboards all over it.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22738
    Philly_Q said:
    I think I mentioned this the other day but Family Style by the Vaughan Brothers. 
    Two of my favourite guitarists, one of the world's greatest producers and almost entirely awful. I don't remember it in detail, maybe I should give it another go, but outside of Tick Tock ( very hummable) just seemed very short on ideas and suffered from horrible 80s production ( released in 1990). Not even 40 minutes of guitar wankery - they'd obviously gone out of their way to avoid that but didn't quite know what to do instead. 

Actually this is making me want to go listen to it...
    I think I liked it, but I also haven't listened to it for years and don't remember much - or anything - except Tick Tock.
    Had it on this afternoon. Still a poor album and I would think almost anything the brothers recorded as solo artists or with others is better. There are some slightly annoying spoken moments, some strange drum parts ( I've a feeling these were programmed rather than played but either way by someone without a sympathetic ear for the music) and a general dearth of ideas. The Jimmie oriented songs and the Stevie oriented songs just belong on separate albums, only held together by some unsympathetic production. I could go back through and pick out an EP of decent stuff from it. 
    Well, I just had to listen to it.  I take your point about the drums, the production and the dodgy spoken bits... but I still like it.  Maybe it's pure nostalgia on my part, but it makes me smile.  No boring maudlin blues plods (except, perhaps, the title track), it's such a happy sounding album.