Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fenders New "Meteora"

What's Hot

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Babones said:
    It should have a Swinger headstock (below). I don't work for Fender, but if i did, that would have been my suggestion. The block inlays are awful too.The aesthetics are poor on all that hybrid range, bar perhaps the whiteguard strat. That just needs a more interesting colour. Designed properly, a hybrid range could be awesome.

now that is ugly
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I really like it but would want something more exciting than Tele pickups on it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    Hideous shape paired with Tele electrics.

Horrible mishmash. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4669
    Looks like I’m in the minority of one but I like it :)

i even like the block inlays, it’s different for sure 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31577
    Looks like a half-assed, designed-by-a-scared-committee Backlund wannabe. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Looks like poor placement of the pickup selector - that'll get hit.
    I noticed that too. At least with it being on the pickguard you could move it by having a new guard made - and could get rid of the boring black guard and the Tele neck pickup at the same time :). That just leaves the bridge...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4258
    It's an abomination.

Looks like two Fender guitars that were too closely related have mated, and this is the terrible consequence we will now have to live with for many years to come. You can visit some villages in North Wales for a clearer idea of what I am talking about.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steersteer Frets: 1188
    I quite like it. But not enough to want one. 
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    I quite like it but I don't think it's about whether we - a bunch of confirmed guitar obsessives - are taken with it, as whether the next generation of guitar players would like it. In which respect, I think it looks too 70s retro, personally, but maybe that's a thing now?

Agree about the pickup selector, and also agree it would work with the Starcaster headstock (horrible imho but probably in keeping).
    Babones said:
    It should have a Swinger headstock (below). I don't work for Fender, but if i did, that would have been my suggestion. The block inlays are awful too.The aesthetics are poor on all that hybrid range, bar perhaps the whiteguard strat. That just needs a more interesting colour. Designed properly, a hybrid range could be awesome.

now that is ugly
    Coolest thing ever :). I had two of them - both sadly butchered by (I think) John Birch, with bridge pickups added. I bought them at different times but the damage was too identical to have been done by separate butchers!

To be fair, the very short scale (22.5") and 'A' width necks make them awkward to play, unless you're a child... or Tina Weymouth.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    edited January 2018

I like it.

Reminds me of my Jagmaster (Can't work out how to post pics!)

But here is a link to one....

https://ja.audiofanzine.com/electric-solidbody-guitar-with-jz-jg-body/squier/vintage-modified-jagmaster-2000-2004/medias/pictures/a.play,m.605809.html

• I like it. Would certainly play it. £1600 is a little steep though. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    GavRichList said:
    I like it. Would certainly play it. £1600 is a little steep though. 
    Erk if it's that much then it's all about whether guitar obsessives like it. 
    I like it. Would certainly play it. £1600 is a little steep though. 
    Ouch! I assumed it would be in the Mexican Classic price range for some reason, ie in the £600-£800 region.

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326

How about they just make decent almost vintage correct Jazzmasters and Jaguars but with a few modern appointments, without the new pickups which are too Strat like, in a variety of good colours with matching headstocks. No. Ok, so let's have a rubbish shaped Tele.

I love Musicman's modern shapes but this one by Fender doesn't work.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4699
    ICBM said:
    I like the styling, but it’s a shame they’ve been so unimaginative with the pickups and the bridge. I love the sound of a Telecaster, but if I want that I’ll buy one.

This is just a different-shaped Tele.

I agree.  I like it but it looks like is has been designed on the Warmoth configurator.  You can pretty much tell exactly how it will sound without playing it, would be nice if Fender could get the intrigue as far as 'I really want to try one out.'

The only difference on the production line will be reprogramming one of the CNC machines to cut the body.

Still, I would play one, looks cool.

• DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    Love the design but with different electrics, a rosewood board, trem etc... Perhaps they could do a Mexican version... One can wish... 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    DaevidJ said:
    Love the design but with different electrics, a rosewood board, trem etc... Perhaps they could do a Mexican version... One can wish... 
    you never know, its already the second iteration of the design so someone must love it
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    This thread is a copy of a US music magazine letters page from the 50's when the Stratocaster was released ;)

- Poor switch placement
    - Odd mismatch body design
    - Inappropriate headstock
    - Price

And again in the 60s with the Jag and Jazzmaster

- Too many switches
    - Odd body shape - could they not have put a different headstock on their offsets huh?
    - Blocks
    - Binding (on a fender??!!)

etc etc 

:)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3839
    I hate the black block inlays too. Looks cheap. Seems like I'm in the majority here. Do Fender even do market research?! With different pickups, headstock and rosewood board with dots, I would be salivating, as I'm sure others would too.