Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fenders New "Meteora"

What's Hot

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    This thread is a copy of a US music magazine letters page from the 50's when the Stratocaster was released ;)

- Poor switch placement
    - Odd mismatch body design
    - Inappropriate headstock
    - Price

And again in the 60s with the Jag and Jazzmaster

- Too many switches
    - Odd body shape - could they not have put a different headstock on their offsets huh?
    - Blocks
    - Binding (on a fender??!!)

etc etc 

:)
    Well, we all know that what guitarist en mass like best is familiarity
    Guitarists - Why do guitar companies keep making the same old shit?
    Company - ok, let's try a new shape, new electronics, different neck profile
    Guitarists - Urgh this is not as good as 50's 60's models. We want period correct specs with a couple of modern (20 years old) specs. We all hate it, you have no clue what you are doing, why don't you listen to us?
    Company - But, you said...

I like it. Would buy it.

Etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    I like it, I think it would have looked better with the 70's style big headstock and at £1,600 they're having a bubble but the guitar itself I like.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    Am I the only person who likes blocks on a maple board.   Black or pearl for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    WezV said:
    Am I the only person who likes blocks on a maple board.   Black or pearl for me.
    No, I love the look of those 70's Jazz bass maple necks - specially the black binding too. It's the shape and width that I hate..
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    WezV said:
    No, I like it too.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    WezV said:
    I wouldn't mind pearl, it's the black that doesn't work. 
  • steersteer Frets: 1159
    I think this guitar would appeal to younger, newer guitarists - you know the type who (I'm generalising here) don't have much money. 

So, a Squire version of this for a couple of hundred notes would make a lot more sense. Like they did with the Squire '51
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1698
    Love the black Voyager  and I suspect other colors of the Meatywhora will improve it no end .I would rush out and buy a Voyager termorrer ...as long as its not over 200 quid .
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    ^ So much this. Fender's main job should be getting cool, affordable guitars into the hands of young people and building brand loyalty. Otherwise in ten years they won't have anyone to sell guitars to. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Dog meets dinner.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8774
    Interesting all the dealers’ links went down: Fender getting heavy about premature delivery, I’d wager.

tell the truth, I love the design of the body. Yeah I’d want a jazzmaster trem, different pickups, neck, but that doesn’t seem to be what’s on offer.

So. Would I? Probably: but not at that RRP. For what’s basically a MIJ Tele with a funny body and blocks. 

What do do we think? Likely to sell like hot cakes, or linger, unloved on dealers’ racks and be discounted to Funk come Black Friday?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    JerkMoans said:

What do do we think? Likely to sell like hot cakes, or linger, unloved on dealers’ racks and be discounted to Funk come Black Friday?
    I actually think it could appeal to a lot of the young hipster players who seem to be into the Fano-type boutique "hybrid combinations of vintage guitars" thing, and also Fender offsets. Combine *those* two things and you get the Meteora.

Whether it will sell even to that market at that price remains to be seen.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8774

Wonder whether the recent ‘leaks’ have been deliberate to gauge public reaction before ‘real’ marketing...

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • CarewCarew Frets: 9
    impmann said:
    It looks like my five year old son tried to draw a Tele with a crayon.

it sounds like he has an early talent for product design.  not hard to improve on a Tele.
    pedal fiend
    edited January 2018
    i hate that the inlays.  it would look better with a rosewood fretboard (everything does)

Is this a Modern Player thing? It looks like it.   The Marauder was much better though.
    pedal fiend
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    Carew said:
    i hate that the inlays.  it would look better with a rosewood fretboard (everything does)
    I like the inlays, although I'd prefer something more out-there, like black pearl. (Likewise the pickguard.)

It's possible the lack of rosewood is intentional, to avoid any possible problems with CITES.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:

It's possible the lack of rosewood is intentional, to avoid any possible problems with CITES.
    faux rosewood is fine.   i just mean the colour.  i dislike the look of maple fretboards generally.  
    pedal fiend
  • FatPeteFatPete Frets: 683
    There you go, Fender. No charge.

Trading feedback: Trading feedback
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2018
    ^ better,
    Now can you change the block inlays for dots? 
    ... and make it lake placid blue, with a white pickguard?
    pedal fiend
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9550
    FatPete said:
    There you go, Fender. No charge.

^This, and the link to the Fender Voyager earlier in this thread makes it seem that this guitar is very colour sensitive. This and the Voyager (in black) both look pretty good. The butterscotch unfortunately just makes it look like a Tele gone wrong.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it