Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Atlantic Records vs a guy who pays riffs online for fun?

What's Hot

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2758
    Is it true that we could just complain to FB about Atlantic Records (other record companies are also available) 3 times and their FB account would be terminated by the AI robot Benjamin David David Benjamin ?  That could be fun.
    what can we complain about ? Do they have any artists who wrote songs that sound suspiciously like somebody else’s ? :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6118
    tFB Trader
    This really just makes me sad. It seems like an overreaction, where does it end. What if my kid is learning guitar and I post on Facebook to show off to relatives, or on a gear forum does my account then get closed? Does it deserve to get closed?

surely there has to be some sort of commonsense response to all of this..... Facebook is a social media site, unless the page is a business page making money then it shouldn’t be enforced like this. Unnecessary and heavy handed,.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    ThorpyFX said:
    This really just makes me sad. It seems like an overreaction, where does it end. What if my kid is learning guitar and I post on Facebook to show off to relatives, or on a gear forum does my account then get closed? Does it deserve to get closed?

surely there has to be some sort of commonsense response to all of this..... Facebook is a social media site, unless the page is a business page making money then it shouldn’t be enforced like this. Unnecessary and heavy handed,.
    I had a YouTube account closed when I posted a video of my 8 year old daughter singing “I will never let you down” by Rita ora...

We downloaded the individual instrument tracks from karaoke version. recorded her vocal in the studio. mixed it all etc. then went out and shot a little video in the park, her singing in the studio and so on... my lad was envolved in the process as well, helping with playback etc. was a good way to get them both into music. 

the video lasted exactly 24hours before the video was taken down and the YouTube account suspended!. 
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I’m suing Atlantic on behalf of a large body of water. They’re quite clearly ripping off a working ocean that’s just having a bit of fun.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16077
    ThorpyFX said:

Quite right but sadly there is no room for comonsense in the automaton and AI world
     Does not compute, does not compute, does not compute etc etc etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6118
    tFB Trader
    poopot said:
    ThorpyFX said:

I had a YouTube account closed when I posted a video of my 8 year old daughter singing “I will never let you down” by Rita ora...

We downloaded the individual instrument tracks from karaoke version. recorded her vocal in the studio. mixed it all etc. then went out and shot a little video in the park, her singing in the studio and so on... my lad was envolved in the process as well, helping with playback etc. was a good way to get them both into music. 

the video lasted exactly 24hours before the video was taken down and the YouTube account suspended!. 
    How bloody petty, what does this achieve? does Rita Ora get harmed by your child singing, its just a tad pathetic that chasing the $ means in this day and age that you have to squash everyone else like a jack booted thug. The irony is that doing something similar to this is how Justin Bieber was found.... why couldn't they have shut him down?
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10393
    I have 60 odd videos on Youtube of my various bands doing cover versions of everyone from the Beatles to Foo Fighters ... I can only believe none of these covers are close enough to trigger the copyright algorithms ;)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    poopot said:
    ThorpyFX said:

To be honest, I can see their point when you're using the actual tracks from the record apart from the vocal.

If you were replaying the parts and doing a cover version like the guy in the main story, that would be a lot crazier IMO.
  • The "problem" is that laws (rightly) have to apply to everyone equally. 

Facebook could handle it better but I also see why it is the way it is. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72205
    sev112 said:
    Is it true that we could just complain to FB about Atlantic Records (other record companies are also available) 3 times and their FB account would be terminated by the AI robot Benjamin David David Benjamin ?  That could be fun.
    what can we complain about ? Do they have any artists who wrote songs that sound suspiciously like somebody else’s ? :)
    Led Zeppelin...

;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2018
    thegummy said:
    poopot said:
    ThorpyFX said:

To be honest, I can see their point when you're using the actual tracks from the record apart from the vocal.

If you were replaying the parts and doing a cover version like the guy in the main story, that would be a lot crazier IMO.
    It was a karaoke backing track from http://www.karaoke-version.co.uk/ you can download the different instruments as separate tracks. Not the original recording by any means.

I get what you are saying tho’
    poopot said:
    thegummy said:
    poopot said:
    ThorpyFX said:

It was a karaoke backing track from http://www.karaoke-version.co.uk/ you can download the different instruments as separate tracks. Not the original recording by any means.

I get what you are saying tho’
    Interesting, is that official tracks from the record label or do people cover them to sell on the website?

I wonder if the record label would actually want to stop the kind of thing you uploaded or if it's just the way the algorithm works couldn't differentiate.

Would they really lose revenue to a child doing a cover? Having said that, she could be a great singer for all I know (and the same rule has to apply regardless of subjective quality).

I had thought that anyone could do a cover version as long as the writer/publisher gets paid. Is that not the case? If I wanted to cover a song on an official release, can the copyright holder say no?
    thegummy said:

Interesting, is that official tracks from the record label or do people cover them to sell on the website?

I wonder if the record label would actually want to stop the kind of thing you uploaded or if it's just the way the algorithm works couldn't differentiate.

Would they really lose revenue to a child doing a cover? Having said that, she could be a great singer for all I know (and the same rule has to apply regardless of subjective quality).

I had thought that anyone could do a cover version as long as the writer/publisher gets paid. Is that not the case? If I wanted to cover a song on an official release, can the copyright holder say no?
    I don’t think they are official tracks, the custom tracks on that site seem to be recorded by other folk.

im guessing it was YouTube’s algorithm that stopped it rather than the record label, although my daughter did insist I tweet Rita ora a link and shortly after it was taken down so who knows. As for the revenue, would you rather listen to the original (bad as it is) or my little angel warbling badly over it? 

You can cover what ever song you want, If you intend to release it the rights holder can say “no” payment or no payment!!!!
    I thought that the copyright holder must be paid but that they can't say no.

I got it from people sampling records - the copyright holders refused to allow a sample to be used so the hip hop artist instead had it replayed by session musicians because a cover can't be turned down.
    thegummy said:
    I thought that the copyright holder must be paid but that they can't say no.

I got it from people sampling records - the copyright holders refused to allow a sample to be used so the hip hop artist instead had it replayed by session musicians because a cover can't be turned down.
    I’ll ask our drummer when I see him next... he’s an IP lawyer by day!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @thegummy I text the drummer with this question:

“If we recorded a cover with the intention of releasing it... obviously we would have to pay the rights holder. But, does the rights holder have the right to say “no, you can’t release it”?”

got a one word response:

”yes”

Bloody drummers!!!!!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Appreciate you checking @poopot I was always under the impression that they couldn't. Must be a myth.

I guess that in the sampling example it must have just been that the copyright holder was okay with a cover but against sampling. Or perhaps different people held the rights to the song as to the record?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11444
    edited January 2018

The rights holders can refuse use.  I'm sure I heard of a song that a political campaign had to stop using because the rights holder objected.

Edit - found this:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-elections/musicians-who-want-donald-trump-to-stop-playing-their-music-a7151171.html

This article seems to say that no one can refuse a cover once the song is out.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2009/jun/18/behind-music-cover-versions

The Trump link is about playing actual records rather than cover versions.
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    There are LOTS of examples of advertisers wanting to use a particular song for their tacky product and being refused by the owner. Pretty basic right really.