Going up a gauge - re notch saddles?

ricorico Frets: 1220
I recently went from 11-48s to 11-54 to better suit playing in E flat and everything is fine except the G string doesn't sound great. It has weird overtones and I think it's due to the size of the notch in the saddle - it seems to be sitting on the internal sides of the notch rather than properly seated, if that makes sense.

Can I gently increase the size of the notch with a jewellers file?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    What guitar is it, and when you say saddle do you mean the nut slot?
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Maynehead said:
    What guitar is it, and when you say saddle do you mean the nut slot?
    LP Standard, I mean the saddles in the bridge.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16668
    Nut files are the best tool to do it with, but any file of approximately the right size will do as the string pull is much straighter than on a nut.   be careful not to leave any burrs or sharp edges, run some fine wet and dry over the edges if unsure
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    WezV said:
    Nut files are the best tool to do it with, but any file of approximately the right size will do as the string pull is much straighter than on a nut.   be careful not to leave any burrs or sharp edges, run some fine wet and dry over the edges if unsure
    Roger that, many thanks. 
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    In my experience, weird overtones are usually a symptom of a bad nut slot or pickups being too close to the string.

Not saying it can't be the saddle, but if that doesn't work there are other things to try.

its largely  the same effect as a badly cut nut slot.   If he can see it's not properly seated in either nut or bridge slots it makes sense to start there

• johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Funnily enough I was watching a Stewmac video on exactly this earlier:

• flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    edited January 2018
    Hmm? Sorry to hijack the thread, but on the subject of saddle slots? Is there a way of (filling) a slot, so it can be re cut??? I've got a ( baggy) Faber saddle, which I think Is  brass/ nickel plated??? Would soldering then filing back be a possible solution?? Again sorry for side tracking here... Cheers.

File the whole thing flat and rebevel/recut - or buy some replacement saddles and start again

WezV said:

File the whole thing flat and rebevel/recut - or buy some replacement saddles and start again

New saddles sound the better option??
    Saddle update!.. Nothing to lose? Soldered, cleaned back....as new .. Job done!!