Your local independent..

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 392
    Heading down to guitar village today at some point - see what all the fuss is about..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 5862
    @lovestrat74 - take a packed lunch and put plenty of time on the parking meter... it may take some time!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    James Music, Carmarthen
    Pleasant family-run establishment. Possibly a bit too generalised for hardcore guitar fiends. Stock biased towards beginner/intermediate/school customers. The occasional pre-owned bargain breezes through. I got my PRS SE One there at a discount because it had taken a knock. I sometimes regret not nabbing a pre-owned Musicman S.U.B.1 guitar from them.

Main Street Music, Pembroke

A veritable Aladdin's cave of name brand electric and acoustic guitars, a token bass selection, Fender amps. Proprietor manages to wangle stock usually associated with Fender Diamond level dealerships. Great after sales service, set-ups and repairs. Probably too far West for most tFBers to visit casually but within easy striking distance of the Tenby/Saundersfoot beach resorts and Oakwood* amusements park. 

* Pardon my swearing.

"It's no wonder the Pacific Ocean is blue."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Anyone know any shops in cornwall worth a visit?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 1792
    There’s a nice one in centre of Truro which is the only one I’ve found. Can’t remember it’s name but it’s near Burger King
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 286
    MagicPigDetective said:
    James Music, Carmarthen

Main Street Music, Pembroke

A veritable Aladdin's cave of name brand electric and acoustic guitars, a token bass selection, Fender amps. Proprietor manages to wangle stock usually associated with Fender Diamond level dealerships. Great after sales service, set-ups and repairs. Probably too far West for most tFBers to visit casually but within easy striking distance of the Tenby/Saundersfoot beach resorts and Oakwood* amusements park. 

* Pardon my swearing.

Been to that one this year, great shop - owner is really nice and chatty too :)
    munckee said:
    There’s a nice one in centre of Truro which is the only one I’ve found. Can’t remember it’s name but it’s near Burger King
    Let me guess... bacon double cheese?
  • markblagdonmarkblagdon Frets: 777
    edited August 11
    munckee said:
    Modern music in Truro is a cool old school - stack to roof style shop with some cool new and SH stuff. Weird opening times though.

the other one “City Music” is more generic, cover pianos and other stuff. But a good new guitar (and acoustic) selection on the first floor. They’re only 5 mins walk apart- so visit both.
    munckee said:
    Modern music in Truro is a cool old school - stack to roof style shop with some cool new and SH stuff. Weird opening times though.

the other one “City Music” is more generic, cover pianos and other stuff. But a good new guitar (and acoustic) selection on the first floor. They’re only 5 mins walk apart- so visit both.
    Ok so when it rains I need to persuade the missus she needs to see the capital of Cornwall as there are loads of great shops there;)
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 1072
    I'm not a fan of Guitar Village (Farnham) and I once got a parking ticket at Andertons (Guildford).

There's a guitar shop in Croyden, but I don't recall the name.

Street Level and Guitar Center (formerly PJ's) in Southsea (Portsmouth) are great. There's also a PMT nearby.

PMT in Cambridge is OK, I suppose.

Absolute in Bournemouth is worth dropping in if you're in the area.

Amen Corner in Bracknell can be good on the right day (it does have a strange smell though).

Apex and Dawsons in Reading can be hit and miss, The Music Man in Reading can have some good used stuff.

I went to the New Kings Road shop last week, but things were out of my price range.

Vintage & Modern in Thame seems to have expensive stuff.

Fair Deal and another one in Wolverhampton is a good place to visit.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1390
    Guitar shop any good?  Looking for some new shops with decent secondhand stock to visit in the south east.  Even if it's in the Outer Hebrides let us know because you never know where you could be one day  ;)
    Pretty sure there are none in Outer Hebrides - nearest will be Inverness. :-)
  • Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 8
    munckee said:

Had a feeling when I started reading this thread that Modern might pop up. A fantastic little shop run by father Andy and son Arron. Very knowledgeable, Andy will bend your ear all day and has had far too much of my money. Size limits the stock they can carry, but there’s never a time when I go in that I don’t GAS for something.

City Music has its appeal, but zero soul, and it’s last resort for me to go in there.

skipped a page here, but if it hasn’t been mentioned then Manson’s in Exeter is close to guitar Nirvana. I could spend my life in there. Very helpful, happy for you to noodle away on pretty much anything if the practice rooms are free.