MIM Fender finish lifting prognosis please

What's Hot
I've just received a 2005 MIM Strat from one of the big online guitar shops, sold as used but I suspect NOS and has been sat in their warehouse for some time.

It's arrived with two finish cracks coming off either side of the neck pocket, not a problem in itself but the finish on both sides is lifting and feels like it would pick off pretty easily.

Some pics:

It's worse on the bass side and it's the finish on the fretboard side of the crack that's lifting.

Internet wisdom suggest wicking some thin superglue under the loose areas and once fixed back down touch up the crack as necessary.

If I can negotiate a bit of discount is that worthwhile or will I ultimately end with a guitar with psoriasis dropping flakes of finish everywhere?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    i would want to check out that bass side crack a bit more, the treble side one wouldn't bother me at all.   Could just be the pic, but  it looks thicker than i would expect for a finish crack

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezV said:
    i would want to check out that bass side crack a bit more, the treble side one wouldn't bother me at all.   Could just be the pic, but  it looks thicker than i would expect for a finish crack

It is wide but the crack closes up if you push the finish back down.

Suppose I’d have to pop the neck off to be sure but handling it I’m pretty sure it’s just the finish. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    edited January 2018
    If you do pop the neck off, do it very gently. Over-tightening is one possible reason for the finish damage. Impact is another. The instrument could have been handled roughly in transit.

If you have any thoughts of returning the instrument to the dealer, change nothing.
    Be seeing you.
  • The instrument could have been handled roughly in transit.
    Yes more than likely, I can return it but may see about a partial refund as it’s quite an unusual spec and another isn’t likely to come along any time soon. 

And good point on not investigating too much
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    Send your photographs to the dealer. Ask whether the cracks were visible before the guitar was shipped? If they were, some mention of them should have been made in the sales description. You may be entitled to a refund.
    Be seeing you.
  • Send your photographs to the dealer. Ask whether the cracks were visible before the guitar was shipped? If they were, some mention of them should have been made in the sales description. You may be entitled to a refund.
    They weren’t, so en route almost certainly. Was pretty cold overnight too which can’t have the finish’s brittleness. 

They’ve offered a full refund and to arrange collection too so no complaints on that front. 
  • I've had the neck off and it is as I suspected just a finish crack, I've also been given a £100 partial refund which I'm more than happy with.

Having read up on it a bit over the weekend my plans is as follows:
    • wick some thin super glue under the lifted finish (repurposing one of my diabetic cat's syringes!)
    • touch up with black permanent marker if necessary
    • drop fill with superglue if necessary
    • level with 400 grit wet'n'dry if necessary
    • polish out with increasing grades of micro mesh 
    • possibly a little buffing compound if needed
    How does that sound?

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7730
    edited January 2018
    I've superglued & levelled a MIM Deluxe tele, it worked fine & barely noticeable in the end.
  • I've superglued & levelled a MIM Deluxe tele, it worked fine & barely noticeable in the end.
    That's exactly what I'm hoping for, work starts tonight – I'll post some progress pics
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2370
    Black marker will look purple as it ages, cut out the middle man and use black superglue ;) 
  • Sarge said:
    Black marker will look purple as it ages, cut out the middle man and use black superglue ;) 
    I'd seen dye added but didn't know if came coloured, is this the stuff?

BLACK RUBBER TOUGHENED
    CYANOACRYLATE

Shock Resistant Super Glue 
    Impact Resistant Flexible Bonding
    Medium Viscosity 
    Useful for Gap Filling
    Low bloom
    20g Bottle
    Not sure about the rubber toughened stuff, I got mine from stew mac last year, pricey but worked beautifully. 
  • Sarge said:
    Not sure about the rubber toughened stuff, I got mine from stew mac last year, pricey but worked beautifully. 
    Seems to be for reparing rubber gaskets by the looks, Tone Tech have guitar repair black superglue so I'll try that rather than risk it. 

That looks good, pretty much what I paid from the States too.
    I couldn't find any in stock anywhere in the UK when I looked. 

There's a trick whereby you sprinkle black pigment or ground up burnt match onto the wet glue but it catalyses the glue so you get a matter of seconds to get it right before it's hard as rock!