A Brexit debate from 1975

Obviously not a Brexit debate but an interesting and well-mannered and argued debate on the EEC by Michael Foot and Ted Heath. Foot was a bright guy, Heath is a shady chancer. The opening exchange about sovereignty is relevant today and I agree with Foot.



My pump-action drivel gun is smoking hot today!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 16926
    Part two



    My pump-action drivel gun is smoking hot today!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 32663
    I'll watch that tomorrow.

    The interesting thing is that it *was* a 'Brexit debate' in a way - we didn't actually vote in a referendum on whether to go into the EEC in 1975, contrary to popular memory - we voted on whether *stay* in, the Heath government having taken us in already in 1973 without asking anyone.

    Whether you think decisions like this should be made by referendum or elected governments is another question...
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 16926
    ICBM said:
    I'll watch that tomorrow.

    The interesting thing is that it *was* a 'Brexit debate' in a way - we didn't actually vote in a referendum on whether to go into the EEC in 1975, contrary to popular memory - we voted on whether *stay* in, the Heath government having taken us in already in 1973 without asking anyone.

    Whether you think decisions like this should be made by referendum or elected governments is another question...
    At the time Foot argued that if a government with a large majority decided to share the UK's sovereignty with the EEC against the wishes of the people, then a future government could not easily reverse the decision, hence the need for a referendum. I always liked Foot as he had a sharp intellect and a precise way of putting his argument across.
    My pump-action drivel gun is smoking hot today!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • exocetexocet Frets: 554
    Fretwired said:
    ICBM said:
    I'll watch that tomorrow.

    The interesting thing is that it *was* a 'Brexit debate' in a way - we didn't actually vote in a referendum on whether to go into the EEC in 1975, contrary to popular memory - we voted on whether *stay* in, the Heath government having taken us in already in 1973 without asking anyone.

    Whether you think decisions like this should be made by referendum or elected governments is another question...
    At the time Foot argued that if a government with a large majority decided to share the UK's sovereignty with the EEC against the wishes of the people, then a future government could not easily reverse the decision, hence the need for a referendum. I always liked Foot as he had a sharp intellect and a precise way of putting his argument across.
    Foot certainly comes across very well in the first part....haven’t watched part 2 yet. I don’t remember much about the “real Foot” at the time, his Spitting Image characature dominated my childhood years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 16926
    exocet said:
    Fretwired said:
    ICBM said:
    I'll watch that tomorrow.

    The interesting thing is that it *was* a 'Brexit debate' in a way - we didn't actually vote in a referendum on whether to go into the EEC in 1975, contrary to popular memory - we voted on whether *stay* in, the Heath government having taken us in already in 1973 without asking anyone.

    Whether you think decisions like this should be made by referendum or elected governments is another question...
    At the time Foot argued that if a government with a large majority decided to share the UK's sovereignty with the EEC against the wishes of the people, then a future government could not easily reverse the decision, hence the need for a referendum. I always liked Foot as he had a sharp intellect and a precise way of putting his argument across.
    Foot certainly comes across very well in the first part....haven’t watched part 2 yet. I don’t remember much about the “real Foot” at the time, his Spitting Image characature dominated my childhood years.
    Foot was a sensitive intellectual .. he wasn't suited to the rough and tumble of TV debate in the late 70s as Thatcher wiped the floor with him. He was right on many issues .. he was a pacifist who missed the public mood over the Falklands (he thought we should let Argentina keep them) and then he became ill. He probably wasn't PM material, but was always worth listening to.
    My pump-action drivel gun is smoking hot today!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 10858
    The Labour party decided to put their foot down on this subject, nevertheless it was a bit shocking when they got the lethal injection out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 13369
    edited January 13
    Uneducated Sun-reader attack on Foot because the paper sez it innit and he looks funny.

    ...just thought I'd get it in first.
    Birds are meant to fly free...  Open every cage you see.

    https://www.peta.org/about-peta/why-peta/caged-birds/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 2497
    Emp_Fab said:
    Uneducated Sun-reader attack on Foot because the paper sez it innit and he looks funny.

    ...just thought I'd get it in first.

    Get in what first? A Wanking Booth?

    http://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/love-sex/sex/news/a40694/guyfi-masturbation-booth-new-york/

     B) 
    Stupidity is what will kill us all in the end.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
Sign In or Register to comment.