3M Dual Lock mass suicide

What's Hot
xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
I bought an AX8 on the forum recently, and it came ready-mounted to a pedal board with 3M dual lock (or a copycat brand). I was very happy with this. I could pick up the board by the base, turn it upside down and shake it, and nothing budged. Similarly I could pick up the entire board by the handle on the AX8 and there was no movement.

Tonight, however, the entire AX8 lifted off the board with minimal resistance. As usual, it was the adhesive that had let go. Some of it is coming off the board as well.

I really want to keep the AX8 on the board. What's even better than Dual Lock? In the past heavy duty Velcro has never let me down, but I thought Dual Lock was supposed to be superior to that. 

I have stored the board in a room with a dehumidifier running, but that shouldn't cause the adhesive to fail, should it? If so, how do people in Arizona put things on pedalboards?
My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71957

What's even better than Dual Lock?
    Bolts.

No, I’m not kidding. I take two opposite corner screws - or all four corners on something big - out of the pedal, find some bolts of the same thread and the length of the old ones plus the thickness of the board, drill through the board and bolt the pedal down.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh that is next level. I was considering the bike chain method but I hadn't thought of going straight in like that. Alrighty then.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • Why do you need a board for a multi fx?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Why do you need a board for a multi fx?
    For taking it on planes and throwing it in the back of vans.

A soft case would do for the majority of what I do, but it's convenient having it in a flight case for when I need it.
  • Get a used diago and drill and tie it down?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    Buy proper dual lock and more of it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    Even with a multi-FX, I prefer to have it in an armoured case with a break-out box for the signal cables so you’re not directly using the jacks on the unit, and the power supply onboard and secured so only the mains cable plugs in. Minimum fuss to set up, maximum protection both on stage and off. 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    Araldite. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    By that I mean, add glue to the self adhesive side of the velcro or dual lock and stick that to the board. 

Make sure you clean the surfaces beforehand. 

I find glass cleaner works well to degrease and evaporate quick. 
    Clean and dry the board and under the pedal then stick the velcro to it without touching the area to be bonded. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    There are different ‘models’ of dual lock - one of them has ridiculous industrial adhesive.

Check that out? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    skunkwerx said:
    Araldite. 
    skunkwerx said:
    By that I mean, add glue to the self adhesive side of the velcro or dual lock and stick that to the board. 

Make sure you clean the surfaces beforehand. 

I find glass cleaner works well to degrease and evaporate quick. 
    Clean and dry the board and under the pedal then stick the velcro to it without touching the area to be bonded. 

I much prefer the idea of just permanently fusing it to so 2x4
  • JotaJota Frets: 463
    For years I had a Nova System (not very light!) attached to my pedalboard with regular velcro!
    I do outside gigs mostly in the summer and never had a problem with the heat making the velcro come off.
    I have one pedal with dual lock and I hate that thing! Every time I have to take it out of the board I have to find a screw driver or something to help pull it off!