Which OD pedal should I get?

What's Hot
lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 60
edited January 12 in FX
For ages I have only had one overdrive pedal. I have swapped and changed a lot but ended up with the EHX Soul Food which is great. I have a Laney Cub 10 amp and like my amp to be clean with pedals providing the gain. I mainly play in church and so my requirements are not too dirty gain wise. I want to have 2 drives - the Soul Food for cleaner drives/boost and then something to either stack with it or use instead of to give me slightly heavier gain sounds. I'm not talking distortion or fuzz, but just a good overdrive.Think John Mayer sort of tones.

I have no problems with buying used and think my budget will be around £50-60. I did come across the Nine Volt Surfing Bear but not sure what opinions are of that? I am after something like the King of Tone but obviously not that expensive (I am on the waiting list though (!) )

Any suggestions of what is worth looking at? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 2302
    XVive Golden Brownie is in your budget and seems to get a lot of love- it's a JCM flavoured "Marshall In A Box".

The Nine Volt Surfing Bear is basically a tubescreamer as I understand it, so might not be all that different from your Soul Food (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 2631
    KOTs are a bit fizzy. Try the Guvnor2
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Snouse Blackbox
    Guitarist/Drummer; Studio person, Composer, etc etc PM me for recording/tracking/mixing in the North West or via the 'net
    Website || Feedback Thread || PayPal
    Ibanez AS83 Guitar For Sale
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • You do realise every post will provide a different answer? 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Something like a KOT? - you could try the Tone City King of Blues ? 
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 78
    Boss blues driver? In budget and Mayer uses one I think. 
  • solarsolar Frets: 50
    Mayer's tone (at least in the early days) is closely associated with the Marshall Blue Breaker Mk I. They are pretty expensive now, so a Snouse Blackbox (as suggested by @colourofsound) or - within your budget - the Mooer Blues Crab. I've A/Bed the Blues Crab against the original Marshall and it's essentially indistinguishable. My Marshall stays safely at home and the Blues Crab is on the gigging board :)
  • steersteer Frets: 192
    Any one of a thousand Tube Screamer clones - or even an actual Tubscreamer? 

• kurtrowe2000kurtrowe2000 Frets: 10
    edited January 12
    There’s a load of decent overdrive pedals about and it’s a bit of a journey. I’ve had a T-REX Michael Angelo Batio overdrive, Ibanez mini tube screamer, bad monkey, Ibanez TS808, Blackstar tube o/d to name a few. My current overdrive is the Maxon VOP9 and it is a truely special overdrive. Check it out. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 6899
    XVive Golden Brownie is in your budget and seems to get a lot of love- it's a JCM flavoured "Marshall In A Box".

The Nine Volt Surfing Bear is basically a tubescreamer as I understand it, so might not be all that different from your Soul Food (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

The SB is a fatter voiced TS from what I've seen. Sometimes TSs or Blues Drivers can sound very boxy through small combos so a fatter one or one with a bass control ( like the Garagetone Drivetrain ) probably isn't a terrible idea. 
    I feel the warm, healing, liquid presence of God’s genuine cold-filtered grace. 
  • Mark1985Mark1985 Frets: 51
    Have you tried the nobels odr-1? Nice warm phat od with tons of gain if you need it. Definitely worth a look!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 9037
    The Surfing Bear is a "breathed on" Tubscreamer circuit, and stacks nicely with a Klon (ie your Soul Food) for the Mayer solo tone thing. It would well for what you're after
  • Snouse Blackbox
    This.
    Trading feedback
    FS: Dr Scientist The Cleanness  |   WTB: Nothing right now
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2167
    It’s difficult.. there is a real lack of options on the overdrive market but if you were really pushed maybe an OCD second hand
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Cabicular said:
    It’s difficult.. there is a real lack of options on the overdrive market
    True.  You'd think some enterprising person would take an existing circuit, make a couple of minor mods and sell the result.  It can't be that hard.  And if more people got on board, just imagine the exciting panoply of choices we might one day have.
    Trading feedback
    FS: Dr Scientist The Cleanness  |   WTB: Nothing right now
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 3555
    I'm looking myself at the moment and having watched a shit load of demos I think it really hinges on what amp your gonna use it with. I personally don't think any of them sound great through a totally clean amp .... you can hear some elements of the guitar signal are clipped and some aren't through a totally clean amp whether if you use the overdrive to further push a slightly dirty amp that effect isn't as apparent. 
    I think I'm gonna build a Timmy and modify it a bit ... that's a pretty good starting point where overdrives are concerned 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Tc mojo. Good for blues leads. Have one if you want it

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 1353
    Ibanez TS Mini - cheap and decent.

Use it on its own for a JM type sound or stack it with your Soul Food for something bigger.

Also, whatever pedal you choose, if you are going stack, experiment with the placement.
     www.cairoeast.co.uk - Madness Tribute band (Bass Player) and guitarist elsewhere
    Feedback - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57885/
  • Maxon VOP9. Like a tube screamer but better. 
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 55
    I've just sold the one I had up for sale, but, I can highly recommend the Tone City Sweet Cream for a Mad Professor Sweet Honey/BJFE Honey Bee type overdrive.

They are supposed to sound like a small tube amp (think Supro) and clean up amazingly well with picking dynamics or guitar volume. On it's own it sounds pretty good -- although it's definitely low to mid gain, not high gain -- but it stacks really nicely with another drive, for a smoother more compressed Mayer style natural sounding drive. I used it both with a Zendrive clone, and with a quasi-fuzz type pedal. But I think it'd pair really nicely with the Soul Food. They are around 40 quid.

TS Mini, and Blues Crab, as per above, also seem like good suggestions.

• Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 55
    There's always the Fulltone Fulldrive Mosfet, too, which I think Mayer has actually used. I see those s/h for well under 100 quid, quite often.
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 72
    The Dude? (Dumble sounds in a pedal)

I've just taken one off my board so willing to sell if you were interested? 
  • JackieB33JackieB33 Frets: 117
    edited January 14
    +1 for the mini screamer. (guitar>soul food>Ts mini>amp). Probs pick one up for about £30-£35 too if you play your cards right. 

Klon type pedals really come to life when stacked IMO. And they stack really well with screamers. 

Recently bought a Keeley 1972 of my good friend @Mark1985 . Which i'd also highly recommend for those Mayer / SRV tones. Sounds awesome with a strat on the neck pickup.
    ''i've not seen a reaction like that in here since George Best got kicked out for glassing a bouncer''
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 72
    JackieB33 said:

Klon type pedals really come to life when stacked IMO. And they stack really well with screamers. 
    Do people find Klons stack best before or after other drive pedals? 
    @Chris_J For me it depends how you use them mate. There are advantages to both. 

I have a Klone (which is currently off my board for the time being). It seems to suit me best as a lead boost, as it's got so much output.. and it doesn't get very woolly on its own. So in the front of a clean amp its just like more of a clean boost, makes leads really stand out, and pushes the front end. Then when you kick an overdrive or fuzz in behind it it retains all of it's own character and level, but is more filled out and saturated. 

I imagine @lincolnblue might benefit from using his soul food slightly differently. With the screamer being such a great lead boost, it might sound great if he were to put the screamer in front  (i.e guitar>soul food>Ts mini>amp). And set the gain a bit higher on the SF. The two stacked sound great.. i have used this configuration previously with my klone and a TS9. 

But yes generally i prefer to use the Klon at the very front (i.e last drive in the chain / closest to the amp).

''i've not seen a reaction like that in here since George Best got kicked out for glassing a bouncer''
  • LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 662
    Something like a KOT? - you could try the Tone City King of Blues ? 
    I have one I would part with if you decide to go this route. PM me if so!
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 2262
    If you are very confused by all the above exotic paint jobs and suggestive pedal names (great for church), then you can always go BOSS. They have a decent selection you can actually try in a shop not far from you. They are very reliable, cost effective and sound great. A lot of Pro guitar players use BOSS. But they carry no bragging rights.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    ESBlonde said:
    If you are very confused by all the above exotic paint jobs and suggestive pedal names (great for church), then you can always go BOSS. They have a decent selection you can actually try in a shop not far from you. They are very reliable, cost effective and sound great. A lot of Pro guitar players use BOSS. But they carry no bragging rights.

Hell of a shout. Nothing wrong with a stock SD-1. Nothing at all..  Also in the £30 range. 
  • Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll be honest, part of me wants a pedal that looks good but I know that's just shallow! I'm not a brand snob and have owned the Mooer Blues Crab and similar cheaper pedals. The TS Mini is a good shout and cheap enough to try and see. 

I guess one option is a custom build?